kallend

Slow internet a failure of US capitalism?

It'll all be OK... "The Obama administration is trying to undercut the whole mess by building new publicly-funded wireless networks to offer fast 4G internet across the U.S."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Maybe because like everything consumer based, the pricing is based on consumption.
Want faster?
Pay more.

Third world providers wouldn't last long pricing the product out of reach of their consumers.

Break out your check book and I can give you any speed you're willing to pay for.

BIGUN

It'll all be OK... "The Obama administration is trying to undercut the whole mess by building new publicly-funded wireless networks to offer fast 4G internet across the U.S."

W/special discounts to illegal aliens & welfare recipients, to level the playing field :S...

PiLFy

***It'll all be OK... "The Obama administration is trying to undercut the whole mess by building new publicly-funded wireless networks to offer fast 4G internet across the U.S."

W/special discounts to illegal aliens & welfare recipients, to level the playing field :S...

Dont forget the bussing in of inner city broadband.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

All politics aside, wireless has to be the way to go long term - installing infrastructure (digging up roads, putting in cabinets, etc etc etc) every time there is a lift in technology is a nightmare.

Although I had to laugh at the article saying how 20M down and 6M up was sooo slow. Try living in rural NZ ;)

Up until a few weeks ago the best you could get in the whole area was 1.4M down and 600k up :D

Never try to eat more than you can lift

This sort of lament had a bit more bite a few years ago when it was common to be stuck at 1.5mbs. But at 20 and above...what exactly are people missing out on? What's the added utility going faster? And upload speeds? While important to me, most people's usage is decided asymmetric.

America has a last mile problem that just doesn't apply to South Korea, or Estonia, or most of Europe.

The other element of note - that fast bandwidth in other nations often comes with a price - a very low cap that Comcast wouldn't even dream of imposing.

They're talking about Ookla speedtest results which means the data set consists only of people who obsess enough about their internet speed to go measure it. People in other countries with slow internet know they have slow internet and don't run speed tests on it. People in the US with slow internet go to speedtest.net every week and then whine about their results on tumblr.

Andy9o8

I urge you not to say that in a bar in South Boston.

Why is that, sir?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

Why is that, sir?

I could quickly tell you, or you could have a little fun and Google your post and my post together as keywords until you achieve "Aha!"

Andy9o8

Why is that, sir?

I could quickly tell you, or you could have a little fun and Google your post and my post together as keywords until you achieve "Aha!"

Yes. Heh, I got that - which is why I should have included an ":)" after sir.

I was just trying to be more dry in my humor.:ph34r:

Stumpy

All politics aside, wireless has to be the way to go long term - installing infrastructure (digging up roads, putting in cabinets, etc etc etc) every time there is a lift in technology is a nightmare.

Although I had to laugh at the article saying how 20M down and 6M up was sooo slow. Try living in rural NZ ;)

Up until a few weeks ago the best you could get in the whole area was 1.4M down and 600k up :D

For people like me, wireless is a civil and very public nightmare. The ramifications to our countries defense posture are "Severe." There are limited countermeasures and this is well known to those that plan for this type of thing. Be careful for what you wish for.
Just some other thoughts and opinions about our consumerist society and a lack of infrastructure foresight. Katrenia and a few other recent natural incidents have clearly illustrated how these very same politics have undermined our ability to respond to any mass incident.

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

ChrisD

***All politics aside, wireless has to be the way to go long term - installing infrastructure (digging up roads, putting in cabinets, etc etc etc) every time there is a lift in technology is a nightmare.

For people like me, wireless is a civil and very public nightmare. The ramifications to our countries defense posture are "Severe." There are limited countermeasures and this is well known to those that plan for this type of thing. Be careful for what you wish for.

C

Can you explain?
Never try to eat more than you can lift