regulator

The stupidity of liberalism in academia knows no bounds

Gravitymaster

******Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

When I was in school just about all of my professors were extremely well recognized in the professional and scientific community. Many were active directors at commercial firms. Surely you have a real explanation?

Right, recognized and perhaps on the BoD but none were CEO's nor ran their own business.
Reminds me of the guy who was always the "assistant" Manager but never the Manager.

How long did you work for the government again??

I was back at Illinois for a few days a couple weeks ago. I gave a guest lecture, took resumes, chatted with engineering students for several hours at an expo, and interviewed seven candidates. So many student projects these days are "arduino this" and "arduino that." ...off my lawn!

...okay, actually a few of them were pretty cool...

Gravitymaster

******Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

When I was in school just about all of my professors were extremely well recognized in the professional and scientific community. Many were active directors at commercial firms. Surely you have a real explanation?

Right, recognized and perhaps on the BoD but none were CEO's nor ran their own business.
Reminds me of the guy who was always the "assistant" Manager but never the Manager.

Is that based on any kind of actual experience or research? :D

Being CEO has nothing to do with your original point. The population of CEOs of large businesses (when compared to the conservative US population) is statistically insignificant to explain why liberals dominate the academic world. There's still the other 99.9% of the general US conservative population who is doing other normal shit. The question is why aren't they teaching? Care to try again?

skinnay

*********Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Being CEO has nothing to do with your original point. The population of CEOs of large businesses (when compared to the conservative US population) is statistically insignificant to explain why liberals dominate the academic world. There's still the other 99.9% of the general US conservative population who is doing other normal shit. The question is why aren't they teaching? Care to try again?

Because they are out there doing instead of sitting on BoD's and garnering the admiration of their peers.
I'd also say that given the poor performance by those with a public school education that those in Academia and Education in general are a smashing failure.

skinnay

*********Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

As much as I like to harp on teachers. I do think that many start with the ideal of helping to educate children and help educate the next generation.

Trying to help society is certainly a more liberal mindset. Conservatives tend to think more along the lines of, if I help myself society will take care of itself.

I don't think it is a grand surprise that many teachers are of a more liberal mindset. Makes sense to me.

However, policy is set by the school boards, run by elected trustees. Hence, in stead of complaining about liberal dominance in schools, why not elect a conservative trsutee, or is there is none, run as a trustee and get yourself elected.

(Would also not surprise me if many who complain don't even show up for these elections)

regulator

***"Academia is the community of students and scholars engaged in higher education and research."

If you think 5th grade is academia, it reflects rather poorly on your own educational level.

I knew you would attempt to disarm this thread as a misnomer.

Keep digging, you haven't hit bottom yet.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This still makes no sense. There's obviously millions of conservatives who are "not doing", this forum is proof of that. Most conservatives I know work in construction or in some very basic technical capacity. Nothing explains why they don't excel in the academic world. On top of this, I hear so much bitching about liberal schooling that I would think they might get off their ass and do something about it. Right?

SkyDekker

************Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

As much as I like to harp on teachers. I do think that many start with the ideal of helping to educate children and help educate the next generation.

Trying to help society is certainly a more liberal mindset. Conservatives tend to think more along the lines of, if I help myself society will take care of itself.

I don't think it is a grand surprise that many teachers are of a more liberal mindset. Makes sense to me.

However, policy is set by the school boards, run by elected trustees. Hence, in stead of complaining about liberal dominance in schools, why not elect a conservative trsutee, or is there is none, run as a trustee and get yourself elected.

(Would also not surprise me if many who complain don't even show up for these elections)

Many if not most school trustees end up being retired teachers. Same with people working for ministry of education I would think, although I haven't researched it. It also has something to do with the instructors at teacher's colleges mainly being liberal (unless they happen to be a visible minority). Thus the new teacher graduates are more liberal... If you have a conservative mindset in education field, you generally learn to keep your mouth shut.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Yeah....here's mine....you were in school a LONG time ago? :P (j/king)

Kallend ran a business, he claims it was successful and I have no reason to doubt him.... he's never explain why he sold it and went back to (or started teaching) but he certainly leans left....

Personally I think the teachers get into the fresh part of youth, they see it all the time and hope the world is a better place and they want to make it (what they consider) better.

But that's just a guess.

I believe that Kallend is a master at baiting people, and it took me YEARS to understand.....that he really believes the left shit.

But I like him cause he's a pilot, and has NEAT toys ;)
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

quade

Seriously. Change the words, "made a finger gun" to "made a monkey face" and see if that changes anything for you.

Is there a zero-tolerance rule for monkey face at the school? That would be equally as dumb. I don't really recall anyone being suspended at my school for a monkey face either. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say apples and oranges.

But to be fair, the kid has 5 fingers, which qualifies each hand as a high-capacity, assault hand.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

mirage62

I believe that Kallend is a master at baiting people, and it took me YEARS to understand.....that he really believes the left shit.

maybe you need to try to understand that Left in America is still Right relative to a lot of the rest of the world :P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

quade

There was a zero-tolerance policy at the school for screwing around in class -- as it should be.

3 day suspensions for screwing around? I graduated with all honors and with a policy like that, I wouldn't have graduated at all.

To repeat, any zero tolerance policy = zero intelligence. And to loop in the concurrent thread on overpaying school administrators - any district that doesn't require its people to think should lower salaries accordingly.

Gravitymaster

Because they are out there doing instead of sitting on BoD's and garnering the admiration of their peers.
I'd also say that given the poor performance by those with a public school education that those in Academia and Education in general are a smashing failure.

Actually, they're sitting in the couch watching Faux News, it seems.

We've seen the surveys of basic knowledge by this conservative viewership and it's not pretty. We also know the academic norms for the red states. Talking about stupid liberalism and implying brilliant conservatism is laugh out loud stupid.

As for CEOs - you don't see many teachers from their ranks, and you probably wouldn't want to either.. Those who excel in a topic are typically not very good at instructing others. We see this with athletes as well. Only a small portion know how they do it well enough to educate others. And mind you, in many cases, CEOs are even subject matter experts, they're just good (or in some cases, shitty) MBAs. Particularly in large organizations, the key requirements of the CEO is the ability to manage and direct the sprawl, not to design technical innovation. But at a much smaller software startup, the CEO is likely to be the founder.

shropshire

maybe you need to try to understand that Left in America is still Right relative to a lot of the rest of the world :P

In todays Murica... what used to be conservative icons like Eisenhower, Goldwater or Reagan et. al. would be considered to be RINO's or liberals if you mask the names and just show their "accomplishments. Yes even Saint Ronald RayGun would not stand a prayer in hell of getting thru a primary in the fringe skewed world of Grand Old Party "of Stooooopid.

The worst part is.. most of the American Taliban feel they are moderates.. and everyone else are far left radicals.:S:S:S:S

mirage62

Yeah....here's mine....you were in school a LONG time ago? :P (j/king)

Kallend ran a business, he claims it was successful and I have no reason to doubt him.... he's never explain why he sold it and went back to (or started teaching) but he certainly leans left....

Personally I think the teachers get into the fresh part of youth, they see it all the time and hope the world is a better place and they want to make it (what they consider) better.

But that's just a guess.

So you are saying kallend is a master baiter? :ph34r:

mirage62

Let's hear it for pilots!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Let's hear it for pilots!

Soft opening, always on heading, forgives a really long spot, and the flare's pretty good.

I don't really recall anyone being suspended at my school for a monkey face either. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say apples and oranges.

Apples and oranges? Hmmm ... careful those are grounds for a suspension. After all, the Edu'crats at an Ottawa daycare just suspended a 2 year old girl for the cheese sandwich she had in her pocket.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/daycare-suspends-2-year-old-girl-over-cheese-sandwich-1.2561458

Fine you have a policy about food. Confiscation? Perhaps, but suspending a 2 year old? You have got to be kidding me. Oh and the Edu'crats said their policy was clearly stated on a sign at the entrance of the daycare. But the sign is only in French, in bilingual Ottawa.

The Edu'crats are out of control. No the Edu'crats are more than out of control. The Edu'crats have severe mental disorders. Normal people don't act this way. Normal people don't suspend 2 year old girls because 2 year old girls lack the understanding of the consequences of putting their cheese sandwiches in their pockets prior to entering the daycare.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

In the case of a 2-year-old, it's not the child who's being punished, it's the parent. Just as it's the parent who's responsible for making sure that the child is in compliance. No one trusts a 2-3 year old to dress themselves appropriately, choose food, take baths, etc. Guidance is required.

And in the case of a daycare that specializes (I assume) in allergic children, it might not be that unreasonable.

I'd've gone with the warning, but I didn't post the policy on the door, either.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I like how the group usually high on telling people to take responsibility for their actions, is all up in arms.

Not like in both these cases these were hidden rules, or something the child (or parent in the 2 year old case) could not be aware of.

Do I find it stupid, yes! But if those are the rules, take responsibility for your actions. Not like any basic human rights were being violated.