RonD1120

Speaking of guns at home

Could this happen in America?

When you realize how random and brutal nature and violence is, then you realize you do not prepare to be hero, you prepare to survive. - See more at: http://shtfschool.com/security/true-nature-of-survival/#sthash.5tfYDJED.dpuf

Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I guess anything can happen anywhere, but it is unlikely Joe Sixpack in Midtown USA will experience what happened to the author of this webpage during the Balkan War of 1992.

It doesn't make sense to me to prepare for an event that is very unlikely to happen in a short period of time. There was a lot of forewarning in the Balkans before the sh*t hit the fan. Maybe if our country collapses to that level, I'll start stocking a bunker. Until then, I'll just go skydiving and drink beer.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

RonD1120

When you realize how random and brutal nature and violence is, then you realize you do not prepare to be hero, you prepare to survive. - See more at: http://shtfschool.com/security/true-nature-of-survival/#sthash.5tfYDJED.dpuf

Keep those fingers crossed and perhaps you'll be around if those times should ever come, that's is what you are hoping for, right?

jclalor

***Could this happen in America?

Keep those fingers crossed and perhaps you'll be around if those times should ever come, that's is what you are hoping for, right?

Warning does not equate to hope. Why do you think like that?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

There are several events that could lead to chaos in any society.
Natural disaster events like storms,earthquakes,volcanic events,solar flare disruption of the grid,just to name a few,could take place, and in many instances give little if any warning.
Then there are threats of social unrest leading to mass violence or attacks upon infrastructure by terrorist, as just a couple examples of human caused events that are very possible as well,and could also take place with little warning.
If someone wants to wait until SHTF before thinking about survival then good luck scrambling to find ways to to do so.

I think we can agree to disagree. Doomsday events can happen, but IMHO, the likelihood is not "very possible" as you assert. An event that can destroy society to the extent I wish I had a bunker full of food is in my opinion "not very likely".

Who is talking about doomsday? Disastrous events both natural and man made have occurred throughout history,and not just ancient history. Not since mankind has been around has there been a end of all life doomsday event,though it has happened in the past.
Both natural and man made disasters and social and political unrest happen all around the globe.These things might not be the end of the world,but it would be hell for those in areas hit by them.
Most people forget about the bad stuff and think it could never happen to them.

toolbox

Who is talking about doomsday? Disastrous events both natural and man made have occurred throughout history,and not just ancient history. Not since mankind has been around has there been a end of all life doomsday event,though it has happened in the past.
Both natural and man made disasters and social and political unrest happen all around the globe.These things might not be the end of the world,but it would be hell for those in areas hit by them.
Most people forget about the bad stuff and think it could never happen to them.

As a wise man once said, "why can't we all just get along?"

I'm sure many if not most of the people in the Ukraine thought that way last year as well. And Syria. And Egypt. How about LA during the riots? Wouldn't take much at all...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

toolbox

>"Why can't we all just get along?"

People usually do get along well together until over population
and increased competition for dwindling resources occurs.

Sorry, I thought the quote from Rodney King was both apropos and immediately recognizable.

Boomerdog

Does 1861 - 1865 ring a bell?

Rephrasing the question, could it happen again?

How about the Al Qaeda sleeper groups uniting in an overall attack? What would happen if major areas of our infrastructure shut down? No communications, no fuel, no money.

Well.....................................................................
Way back in my grad school days when I was taking Statistical Mechanics, the prof walks in on the first lecture of the first day of the new term and says, "Let's cut the bullshit and all the gee wiz math I'm going to lecture about in the next few months and I'll give it to you short and sweet, ANTHING is POSSIBLE but is it PROBABLE? That's Statistical Mechanics in a nutshell. Now that was easy!

By the same token, the scenario you posit IS possible, we're just debating probability here and I haven't a clue. I'd like to think that the basic goodness of Americans (despite the fact that the passions of current political issues have us at each other's throats and in each other's faces) would come forth.

Something Al Qeada has probably kept in mind is the same thing Admiral Yamamoto warned Tojo and the Emperor about when they considered invading the United States way back when, "Not a good idea, there's a gun behind every blade of grass." This of course is an exageration but it did drive home a point. Today it is estimated that 300 million firearms are in the possession of 80 million Americans, most of which would not "take too kindly" to Al Qaeda having another "hissy fit" on our soil. Taking a phrase from Karl von Clausewitz who wrote the famous treatise "On War," "Quantity has a quality all its own!"

No communication? No fuel? No money?
What do the Marines say? Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!

In the meantime, Saturday is one day away, the weather in my area is going to be good enough to jump and this old guy, who's new to this sport has some ground to catch up with some of you other guys and gals...safely, prudently, and at a proper pace of course.

The firearms are locked away and cleaned; the ammo is locked away and dry. Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for my prunes, jumping constipated is well...not fun.

Boomerdog

Well.....................................................................
Way back in my grad school days when I was taking Statistical Mechanics, the prof walks in on the first lecture of the first day of the new term and says, "Let's cut the bullshit and all the gee wiz math I'm going to lecture about in the next few months and I'll give it to you short and sweet, ANTHING is POSSIBLE but is it PROBABLE? That's Statistical Mechanics in a nutshell. Now that was easy!

And in an infinite universe, anything that is possible, no matter how improbable, will happen an infinite number of times.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

DiverMike

I think we can agree to disagree. Doomsday events can happen, but IMHO, the likelihood is not "very possible" as you assert. An event that can destroy society to the extent I wish I had a bunker full of food is in my opinion "not very likely".

I live in south texas. We had one of those situations when the last hurricaine hit here. You should have tried to evacuate with the rest of the people. SHTF can and does happen. Always better to be prepared.

I was here in the Houston area for the evacuation, and I don't remember any situations requiring guns. I left for Rita (well, all the way to the Woodlands), and stayed for Ike. Never felt the least bit threatened. Bought gas, used money, no need to take it or protect it at gunpoint.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

RonD1120

How about the Al Qaeda sleeper groups uniting in an overall attack? What would happen if major areas of our infrastructure shut down? No communications, no fuel, no money.

LOL. You're so worried about the distraction coming from al-Q'aeda-esqe Moozlims, you're completely ignoring where the real threat of that kind of shit, on that kind of scale, is coming from: it's....
....well, you wanna take a guess?

LOL. You're so worried about the distraction coming from al-Q'aeda-esqe Moozlims, you're completely ignoring where the real threat of that kind of shit, on that kind of scale, is coming from: it's....

I think an old character named Pogo would know the answer to that.

- Dan G

Andy9o8

Well, in an infinite universe..........

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I live in south texas. We had one of those situations when the last hurricaine hit here. You should have tried to evacuate with the rest of the people. SHTF can and does happen. Always better to be prepared.

I agree with Wendy. I haven't heard of a situation in the United States in the last 100 years where civilization totally broke down. To me, that would be SHTF.
Bad people looting is reason enough to suggest having a weapon in your house and being trained to use it. It does not indicate you should have a year's supply of dehydrated food.

A gun, a bathtub full of water , and the leftover food you have in kitchen cupboards will keep you alive for a month.

Andy9o8

No, no, you misunderstand. I am not worried. I have taken prudent action. I have relocated to a reasonably safe haven and have stocked up on necessities. If and when SHTF occurs I and my family will be able to hold out as long as anyone will be able. The next item on my list is to acquire a 4WD vehicle and explore the mountain routes behind my house. My pastor told me that it is possible to get deep into NC without ever driving on pavement.

>If someone wants to wait until SHTF before thinking about survival then good
>luck scrambling to find ways to to do so.

Agreed. But if SHTF guns will the the least of your worries.

Now, if the Zombie Apocalypse comes along, all bets are off.