ianmdrennan

Interesting read on GOP/Science

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2014/01/02/259151167/partisan-evolution-gap-politically-insignificant-gop-says?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

I found this comment quite interesting:

Vin Weber, a former Minnesota Republican congressman and now a Washington-based GOP strategist, says he would "resist characterizing this as evidence of a war on science, which I think is BS."

"I suspect this is a reflection of a trend we've seen, where the most educated people who used to be Republicans are now Democrats, and people with less educational status are now moving into the Republican Party," Weber says.

Performance Designs Factory Team

ianmdrennan

***Vin Weber, a former Minnesota Republican congressman and now a Washington-based GOP strategist, says he would "resist characterizing this as evidence of a war on science, which I think is BS."

"I suspect this is a reflection of a trend we've seen, where the most educated people who used to be Republicans are now Democrats, and people with less educational status are now moving into the Republican Party," Weber says.

FIFY
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Most of the folks I know have given up on the Republicans as well as the Democrats. Basically, we are in survival mode.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

ianmdrennan

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2014/01/02/259151167/partisan-evolution-gap-politically-insignificant-gop-says?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

***Vin Weber, a former Minnesota Republican congressman and now a Washington-based GOP strategist, says he would "resist characterizing this as evidence of a war on science, which I think is BS."

Being uneducated is the new badge of honor in today's GOP, look at all the grief Obama got for even suggesting that everyone should receive a college education.

Most of the folks I know have given up on the Republicans as well as the Democrats. Basically, we are in survival mode.

The main reason that you and your type are in "survival mode" and have given up on the GOP, is do to the fact that only 75% of the GOP has gone absolute bat shit crazy. At the current rate that the GOP is going, all of you Apocalyptic types should be on the same page shortly.

jclalor

The main reason that you and your type are in "survival mode" and have given up on the GOP, is do to the fact that only 75% of the GOP has gone absolute bat shit crazy. At the current rate that the GOP is going, all of you Apocalyptic types should be on the same page shortly.

Then the Republican Party would gain tremendous strength. Danger, danger, run, run like the wind.

simply not true. the main reason people are going into survival mode is that BOTH parties are destroying this country. neither party is worth a damn. and if you should happen to find a viable third party candidate, first of all good luck there, second, even if some should get elected, what kind of difference will a small minority make, given the corruption in politics.

there is only one way out of the mess we are in now and it doesn't involve any type pf voting. and as americans have lost any kind of spirit or intestinal fortitude, i, along with lots of others i know, are preparing to withdraw. keeping on with business as usual, but silently making preparations for when the inevitable happens. a total collapse of american society as it is now will not hurt anyone who is truly prepared.

the more comfort we have attained, the easier it is to remove freedoms. at least i have a place (several) to go. i know of at least one mountain in the southern part of the state which is wholly owned by former sf guys that i have an open invite to if i need it.

Right on. My wife and I have already made the move to our mountain in north GA. We have allies here. Maintain contact and support with and for your allies.

jclalor

Being uneducated is the new badge of honor in today's GOP, look at all the grief Obama got for even suggesting that everyone should receive a college education.

I know a lot of college folks that couldn't negotiate themselves out of a paper bag. Most NYU students I've meet come across as....Stupid. Damn waste of money if you ask me. Not college...but going to NYU, seems a waste of time and money.

I don't think everyone should get a college education. For a lot of people there is simply no benefit to it. If everyone goes to college there won't magically be graduate level jobs for everybody. Someone's still got to do the plumbing.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

I don't think everyone should get a college education. For a lot of people there is simply no benefit to it. If everyone goes to college there won't magically be graduate level jobs for everybody. Someone's still got to do the plumbing.

I also don't think everyone should go to college, nor would that ever happen anyways, but there's no doubt that the left puts more of an emphasis than the right does on higher education. A perfect example is the Dugger kids, no off compound college in thier future,and this family is the darlings of the right.

The subject of this thread proves my point; the right is regressing, it takes a speacial type of ignorance to believe the earth is only 10,000 years old. And there's only one thing that can cause a person to do that.

just curious. whats your beef with NYU? its a pretty reputable school. are you a Fordham or Columbia grad?

i went to neither but would consider The Stern School at NYU money well spent. Ive had a lot of bosses from there that would agree. i can think of a lot of schools where your money is a waste and NYU would not make the list. so curious why you singled it out.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

>I know a lot of college folks that couldn't negotiate themselves out of a paper bag.

Agreed - but I also know a lot of less-educated people (high school grads and dropouts) who would have just as much trouble.

College doesn't make you a better negotiator. It doesn't give you more native intelligence, or give you better judgment. It just makes you better at a task, like engineering or medicine or architecture or writing.

It also is a good way to winnow the really dumb people out. In other words, college doesn't turn dumb people into smart ones - but the dumb ones generally don't make it through. Thus overall college grads tend to be somewhat smarter. This does not, of course, apply to people who never went to college to begin with.

billvon

>I know a lot of college folks that couldn't negotiate themselves out of a paper bag.

Agreed - but I also know a lot of less-educated people (high school grads and dropouts) who would have just as much trouble.

And I bet very few non-college-educated people can design a communications system, the structural steelwork of a skyscraper, a wastewater treatment plant, or perform open heart surgery, or develop new pharmaceuticals, or the control system for a UAS, or operate a synchrotron X-Ray source, or... or...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***>I know a lot of college folks that couldn't negotiate themselves out of a paper bag.

And I bet very few non-college-educated people can design a communications system, the structural steelwork of a skyscraper, a wastewater treatment plant, or perform open heart surgery, or develop new pharmaceuticals, or the control system for a UAS, or operate a synchrotron X-Ray source, or... or...
Perhaps not, professor.

But I'll bet you know at least a couple non-college-educated people who are basically self-taught electrical engineers and aerodynamicists.

And a couple that are rocket scientists.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

>And I bet very few non-college-educated people can design a communications system,
>the structural steelwork of a skyscraper, a wastewater treatment plant, or perform
>open heart surgery, or develop new pharmaceuticals, or the control system for a UAS,
>or operate a synchrotron X-Ray source, or... or...

Right - but that's because they get very specific training in how to do just that. That's not college in general, that's specific training.

Try asking a guy who graduated top in his class a Julliard to design a communication system - or an MIT grad to write and perform a song.

billvon

> or an MIT grad to write and perform a song.

we have at least 3 MIT grads right here at work that do a very fine job of writing and performing music

But I agree about your Julliard grad

(certain areas are NOT as friendly to "competence without formal education". Like Science and Technology.

Others (liberal arts, etc) aren't so demanding - they are either extremely subjective, or rely on born talent that exists with or without the formal training.

though I find Kallend's comment a bit ......... I also find it true, regardless. Very anti-PC....not everyone deserves a medal if they don't put in the homework.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

though I find Kallend's comment a bit ......... I also find it true, regardless. Very anti-PC....not everyone deserves a medal if they don't put in the homework.)

Three student comments from my course evaluations last semester. All from the same freshman course:

The professor..... is nice and kind...

Kallend is an uncaring bastard...

He says things that are not politically correct, but I suppose that is expected in a Brit.

:|

billvon

>And I bet very few non-college-educated people can design a communications system,
>the structural steelwork of a skyscraper, a wastewater treatment plant, or perform
>open heart surgery, or develop new pharmaceuticals, or the control system for a UAS,
>or operate a synchrotron X-Ray source, or... or...

Right - but that's because they get very specific training in how to do just that. That's not college in general, that's specific training.

Try asking a guy who graduated top in his class a Julliard to design a communication system - or an MIT grad to write and perform a song.

I am quite sure that a number of very competent musicians studied engineering or science in college (Brian May Ph.D. comes to mind, among others ) or comedians (Rowan Atkinson, masters in EE from Oxford, Graham Chapman, medicine at Cambridge)), or writers ...

On the other hand, the number of people with degrees in history, journalism, women's studies, music, theology... who went on to become prominent scientists or engineers is probably lost in the noise.

kallend

(Rowan Atkinson, masters in EE

THAT'S exactly it.....that face CLEARLY belongs to a post graduate in EE

(sniff - suddenly it all makes sense again)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***(Rowan Atkinson, masters in EE

THAT'S exactly it.....that face CLEARLY belongs to a post graduate in EE from Oxford

(sniff - suddenly it all makes sense again)

FIFY

billvon

College doesn't make you a better negotiator. It doesn't give you more native intelligence, or give you better judgment. It just makes you better at a task, like engineering or medicine or architecture or writing.

Hmmm.

So all those with liberal arts and psychology degrees are useless then.'
Gotcha
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun