RonD1120

A&E Suspends Phil Robertson

quade

Being judgmental doesn't translate to judgment.

:| Sigh.

You know, religion didn't invent double-speak, but it certainly wields it adeptly.

I believe you mean ineptly.

Nope; adeptly. Religion has had thousands of years to perfect its expertise in double-speak.

Andy9o8

You know, religion didn't invent double-speak, but it certainly wields it adeptly.

I believe you mean ineptly.
Nope; adeptly. Religion has had thousands of years to perfect its expertise in double-speak.

And yet, they're horrible at it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If someone can explain to the the rational difference between calling people redneck peckerwoods is functionally or even practically different from calling people jungle bunny jigaboos I'd certainly entertain a discussion as to why racial pejoratives are different from racial pejoratives.

We are all engines of karma

Iago

That's 'creepy ass crackers' to you, buddy!

See, unlike most of the demographics out there us crackers have a sense of humor. So go ahead and call us what you like. We've got big shoulders- we can take it.

Someone once posted this story in BF, (but I don't recall who):

He was having lunch in a Southern restaurant.
Nearby was an old white lady, noisily slurping down a large bowl of soup.
As a waiter passed by, she stopped him and asked:
"Sonny, do you serve crackers here?"

Without missing a beat, the waiter (young black guy) replied:
"Yes, ma'am; We serve everyone!"

:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

lawrocket

If someone can explain to the the rational difference between calling people redneck peckerwoods is functionally or even practically different from calling people jungle bunny jigaboos I'd certainly entertain a discussion as to why racial pejoratives are different from racial pejoratives.

Mostly because the former was never the slaves of the latter.

There really is no racial pejorative a black person can possibly call a white person that will ever remotely have the same effect a racial pejorative a white person can use against a black person. Not in the US as least.

If you don't understand that, you really do need to attend some classes in being a human.
quade -

normiss

More so given their history with gays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_Barrel

During the 1990s, the company was the subject of controversy for its official stance against gay and lesbian employees and for discriminatory practices against African American and female employees. The company's treatment of minority customers was also criticized; patrons complained of racially segregated seating and service quality. Following an agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice and the implementation of non-discrimination policies, the company has focused on improving minority representation and civic involvement, particularly in the black community. Company shareholders added sexual orientation to the company's non-discrimination policy in 2002.

RonD1120

Contemplate my signature.

actually - there are forum rules against signatures that are Speaker Corner fodder, advertising, and a couple other things

maybe they changed them since that one was being enforced, I don't know. But I recall Kallend and Amazon both got slammed down for it at one point or another.

IMHO - preaching in a forum is tedious and counterproductive. I want to hear what you and these guys think not quote.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

quade

you really do need to attend some classes in being a human.

between this and, (pretty much every one of) Jakee's posts in this forum

I'm out of here

How hard is it to have a dialogue with Jerry without being assholes to him?

The irony is this is a facet of pretty much what he's trying to get across. Disagree, or even give the appearance to possibly have something that may or may not give an illusion of disagreement and the self proclaimed "tolerant" crap all over discussion and trying to clarify what the meaning is, instead they start to dehumanize the other immediately. (that's pretty much the 'anti' of tolerance)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

actually - there are forum rules against signatures that are Speaker Corner fodder, advertising, and a couple other things

maybe they changed them since that one was being enforced, I don't know. But I recall Kallend and Amazon both got slammed down for it at one point or another.

IMHO - preaching in a forum is tedious and counterproductive. I want to hear what these guys think not listen to them mindlessly quote. Provided they aren't assholes about it in every post - then they aren't worth reading.

IIRC, the rule is that if the sigline is "SC material", then the poster can't post it outside of SC.
And I've never seen Ron post anywhere else.

I disagree with Ron on a lot of things. A whole lot of things.
But he stays within the rules as far as I've ever seen.
More so than some of the "Usual Suspects."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

IIRC, the rule is that if the sigline is "SC material", then the poster can't post it outside of SC.

then no issues, here. thanks. it's been awhile

Andy9o8

OK try this on for size.

Just because I judgmentally call a bankrobber a guilty sumbitch doesn't mean he's going to jail. That's for a judge.

Just because Robertson doesn't think the people he mentions are going to heaven doesn't mean that he's the judge. How much more clear do you need it? He believes certain behaviors are not tolerable and says so but knows he's got no real say at the end of the day.

The irony is this is a facet of pretty much what he's trying to get across. Disagree, or even give the appearance to possibly have something that may or may not give an illusion of disagreement and the self proclaimed "tolerant" crap all over discussion and trying to clarify what the meaning is, instead they start to dehumanize the other immediately. (that's pretty much the 'anti' of tolerance)

Yet it was Jerry who started trying to clarify what 'tolerance' means, pretty much with the result that it doesn't mean anything, it's just a random collection of letters.

What I don't have tolerance for is people who try to use a incredibly pedantic definition of a single word (that no-one was even using) to call someone's opinion bad when they can't even keep straight their definition of that word.

I don't have tolerance for people (and this is why you don't get on with me) who suggest that disagreeing with an abhorrent or discriminatory opinion is the same as having the opinion in the first place, which is obvious mental weasling.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

wolfriverjoe

IMHO - preaching in a forum is tedious and counterproductive. I want to hear what these guys think not listen to them mindlessly quote. Provided they aren't assholes about it in every post - then they aren't worth reading.

And I've never seen Ron post anywhere else.

I disagree with Ron on a lot of things. A whole lot of things.
But he stays within the rules as far as I've ever seen.
More so than some of the "Usual Suspects."

Thank you. The goal in my game is to be legally snarky. I am a born again, Spirit filled Christian that is willing to provide a come back before turning the other cheek. Here in SC that is.

In real life I am a mild mannered individual with a concealed weapons permit.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

LyraM45

***I'm sorry but I can't attach any validity to your post. You simply do not know how to study the Bible, do not know the difference between the Old Testament or the Hebrew writings versus the New Testament or Christian writings and therefore do not know what you are talking about.

Jesus Christ paid the price for your sin, the sin you were born into. You need to grasp this concept first.

You simply do not know how to..... pick and choose what you want when its convenient for what you want to believe and argue. FIFY :)
The main difference in thought for you, others, and me is that I think mostly in the spiritual realm and live in the physical realm.

You guys think and live only in the physical realm.

Hmmm, what does that mean?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

rehmwa

Extraordinarily, at least in this forum. That's not an exaggeration either. The issue I have with Jerry's style of posting is he deliberately makes a calculated passive/argument of false equivalencies. He's not stupid. He knows he's doing it. In this thread he is deliberately appealing to the racist element.

I think that's just wrong.

Even more, he literally asked for it.
quade -

winsor

******So now you need to prove that the employer was harmed by their statements. I don't think you can do that.

Customer complaints are fairly good indicators of harm in most cases.

There was an article to the effect that Cracker Barrel had pulled their sponsorship (I just spotted the headline). Since advertising pays the bills, losing an account is a pretty compelling basis for canning an actor.

In the marketplace 'fairness' does not hold sway. You could, for instance, be the best newscaster in the world, but if Toys R Us is the primary sponsor they can insist that a pair of cute 6 year old twins replace you, and that is their prerogative. If you can find someone who will pay more than Toys R Us to keep you, you will likely stay.

You could have the most dismal ratings in your time slot, but a sponsor can pay an inordinate amount to have things their way, so even ratings are incidental to economics. If the advertising dollars are there, the show will stay on the air.

Whether Mr. Robertson's Bronze Age take on things is good, bad or indifferent is immaterial from the standpoint of staying in business. He had every right to say what he did, and he did so. A&E had every right to send him packing, and they did so.

Anyone who wants to hire him and get great ratings is free to do so, and I suppose he will get better offers than from A&E. It seems from my standpoint that things are working out for the best for everyone.

BSBD,

Winsor

I see on the news today that cracker barrel has not only put duck dynasty merchandise back on their shelves, but actually made a statement that THEY WERE WRONG TO REMOVE IT, THEY MADE A MISTAKE and they support a person's right to state his opinion. So far, that is the only information I have on it.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

skypuppy

*********So now you need to prove that the employer was harmed by their statements. I don't think you can do that.

Customer complaints are fairly good indicators of harm in most cases.

There was an article to the effect that Cracker Barrel had pulled their sponsorship (I just spotted the headline). Since advertising pays the bills, losing an account is a pretty compelling basis for canning an actor.

In the marketplace 'fairness' does not hold sway. You could, for instance, be the best newscaster in the world, but if Toys R Us is the primary sponsor they can insist that a pair of cute 6 year old twins replace you, and that is their prerogative. If you can find someone who will pay more than Toys R Us to keep you, you will likely stay.

You could have the most dismal ratings in your time slot, but a sponsor can pay an inordinate amount to have things their way, so even ratings are incidental to economics. If the advertising dollars are there, the show will stay on the air.

Whether Mr. Robertson's Bronze Age take on things is good, bad or indifferent is immaterial from the standpoint of staying in business. He had every right to say what he did, and he did so. A&E had every right to send him packing, and they did so.

Anyone who wants to hire him and get great ratings is free to do so, and I suppose he will get better offers than from A&E. It seems from my standpoint that things are working out for the best for everyone.

BSBD,

Winsor

I see on the news today that cracker barrel has not only put duck dynasty merchandise back on their shelves, but actually made a statement that THEY WERE WRONG TO REMOVE IT, THEY MADE A MISTAKE and they support a person's right to state his opinion. So far, that is the only information I have on it.

Just starting

The radicals are going to look stupid, very stupid, before this one comes to an end

And Phil and his family are going to do very well before this is over

The radicals are failing.....

....again
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rehmwa

***you really do need to attend some classes in being a human.

between this and, (pretty much every one of) Jakee's posts in this forum

I'm out of here

this, yup. look it up. the treatment of white sharecroppers in the south is pretty much not that far different from the treatment of black sharecroppers. You (sorry, that's quade, not rehma) really do need to attend some classes in being reasonable.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone