freethefly

Jesus was a white guy?

“Jesus was a white man too. He was a historical figure, that’s a verifiable fact, as is Santa — I just want the kids watching to know that.”

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/fox-news-host-megyn-kelly-its-a-verifiable-fact-jesus-was-white/news/2013/12/12/80130#.UqqTiycoZew

Jesus would not had been a white man, fact.
He is no more a historical figure than is Bilbo Baggins, fact.
Megyn Kelly is a verifiable moronic, fact.
Faux News just keeps getting weirder, fact.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Sigh...I keep making this point. It keeps getting miseed.

I don't always like the way Megyn Kelly presents things. I don't necessarily agree with her viewpoints. But she is quite obviously very intelligent.

Insulting someone else's intelligence because you disagree with their opinions makes me question your intelligence. (That's the corporate 'you' as well as the individual who started this thread)

While we're at it; I notice you question someone else's intelligence and simultaneously have grammar issues (not explained by typos). How should I interpret that?

Two very intelligent people can disagree (and often will). It doesn't make either of them less intelligent.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I don't always like the way Megyn Kelly presents things. I don't necessarily agree with her viewpoints. But she is quite obviously very intelligent.

Since when is the skin color/race of somebody an opinion? If you say that Jews in the middle east during the roman occupation where white, you are obviously purposely ignorant or unintelligent.

This is simply not a matter of opinion but of historical context.

If I say Mao Ze Dong was a black guy from Brooklyn then that is also an opinion, just because I may be viewed as intelligent, this does not make my opinion any more valid. That is the appeal to authority logical fallacy.

Do you now understand what is wrong about this?

ibx

Since when is the skin color/race of somebody an opinion? If you say that Jews in the middle east during the roman occupation where white, you are obviously purposely ignorant or unintelligent.

This is simply not a matter of opinion but of historical context.

If I say Mao Ze Dong was a black guy from Brooklyn then that is also an opinion, just because I may be viewed as intelligent, this does not make my opinion any more valid. That is the appeal to authority logical fallacy.

Do you now understand what is wrong about this?

Please don't let me mistake your argument. If she gets a fact wrong, she is stupid?

I didn't read the article and don't intend to. My point is that someone can have an under-developed opinion, an opinion not based on fact, or can be outright wrong about something. That doesn't mean they are stupid.

I disagree with some of the things Albert Einstein said. I would never insult his intelligence. Albert proved some of Newton's theories were off. I don't think he had a poor opinion of Newton's intellect. Obama has said things that were plain stupid. I don't think he is stupid.

Lots of people think Yeshua was caucasian. Ancient Greek art portrayed him as a classic Greek. I have seen him portrayed as Black and even Asian. We all create god in our own image. Since Judaism is an ethnicity and he was a Jewish Rabbi descended from a Jewish King, I presume he was ethnically Jewish. Not everyone is familiar with these facts. It might make them ill-informed or even intentionally blind. It doesn't make them unintelligent.

Ignorance and intelligence are very different. I have a high IQ. There is a whole universe of things I am ignorant about. Throw in the whole problem of being a human with normal human traits and I find it amazing I can solve the puzzle of how to make coffee in the morning.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

We all create god in our own image.

To state something like that, you must not have grown up in a fundamentalist church, as I did. Many Christians believe that Jesus is God (not all do), and uniform in his design (in other words, he is only one color). Any person that splits humans into ethnic groups and then proclaim that the one omnipotent God is of their same tribe, and not of the other tribes, is a racist.

I don't think she's ill-informed about Jesus being from the middle east or of Jewish birth. If she chose to believe as an adult, despite her knowing those things, that he has white skin, or is of northern European descent, then she is nothing more than a racist. That's not the same as being ignorant.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

riddler

We all create god in our own image.

To state something like that, you must not have grown up in a fundamentalist church, as I did. Many Christians believe that Jesus is God (not all do), and uniform in his design (in other words, he is only one color). Any person that splits humans into ethnic groups and then proclaim that the one omnipotent God is of their same tribe, and not of the other tribes, is a racist.

I don't think she's ill-informed about Jesus being from the middle east or of Jewish birth. If she chose to believe as an adult, despite her knowing those things, that he has white skin, or is of northern European descent, then she is nothing more than a racist. That's not the same as being ignorant.

I'm fairly familiar with quite a few relgious beliefs and permutations. I'm familiar with the Christian infatuation with the Comma Johanneum (source of Yeshua's divinity) history.

If you look over into another thread on racism, you will see that I consider all of us racist to some extent. It's a psychological phenomenon that I see no reason to dispute. Just something to be managed by reason. To find that people get emotional about religion and let the emotion push their ethnocentrism is hardly surprising. (God in our own image) And even if people did not make the likeness of their god in their own image (Jews did not draw God's likeness, in part, because they considered God undefined and beyond human understanding), the written works attributed to Him are conflicting and vague enough that they still get to define him as they will. Note the plethora of variations of belief that all claim to trace back to one tome (Christians are obvious, but I can't think of a religion that doesn't exhibit variegated segments).

However, all of that is beside the point.

Your (new) point is that she is racist. That might well be. Does that make her stupid? Adolph Hitler is one of the most notorious racists in history. He was also clearly a genius.

My only contention was that people in society today declare other people stupid just to be insulting. The person claiming another is stupid often bases this conclusion on the fact that the other person has a differing view point, or said something untrue, or (as you do) has racist tendancies. These are not rational arguments and suggest that the person making the accusations is not as brilliant as they seem to think.

Jesus was a Jewish Palestinian. Hair like lambs wool it says in the Bible if I recall. What colour? Brown.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

What she said was stupid, that doesn't mean that she is (but it doesn't mean that she isn't either.)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Skyrad

Jesus was a Jewish Palestinian. Hair like lambs wool it says in the Bible if I recall. What colour? Brown.

Both a historical fact and absolutely untrue...depending on how you define 'Palestinian'. Funny point.

Skyrad

What she said was stupid, that doesn't mean that she is (but it doesn't mean that she isn't either.)

Fully agree. My observations of her suggest she is quite intelligent. She is also quite opinionated. That tends to get in the way of intelligence IMHO.

Fully agree. My observations of her suggest she is quite intelligent. She is also quite opinionated. That tends to get in the way of intelligence IMHO.

We fully agree on this. One point we may have forgotten is that facts are suspended to further an agenda, regardless of the personal beliefs of the person involved. In that case any stated opinion is not reflective of intelligence at all.

This is a problem if the opinion is stated as fact, underlined by the perceived intelligence of the person stating the opinion giving it(the opinion) unwarranted merit.

ibx

We fully agree on this. One point we may have forgotten is that facts are suspended to further an agenda, regardless of the personal beliefs of the person involved. In that case any stated opinion is not reflective of intelligence at all.

This is a problem if the opinion is stated as fact, underlined by the perceived intelligence of the person stating the opinion giving it(the opinion) unwarranted merit.

I continue to agree. Even more nefarious is when an intelligent person spins geniune facts in a misleading way to support their conclusions. Often, those people seem to become politicians or news anchors.

Jesus is Middle Eastern

All the Jesus's I know are Mexican.

Someone had to go there :P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

davjohns

My observations of her suggest she is quite intelligent. She is also quite opinionated. That tends to get in the way of intelligence IMHO.

and, apparently, thread starters that have any value

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

freethefly

“Jesus was a white man too. He was a historical figure, that’s a verifiable fact, as is Santa — I just want the kids watching to know that.”

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/fox-news-host-megyn-kelly-its-a-verifiable-fact-jesus-was-white/news/2013/12/12/80130#.UqqTiycoZew

Jesus would not had been a white man, fact.
He is no more a historical figure than is Bilbo Baggins, fact.
Megyn Kelly is a verifiable moronic, fact.
Faux News just keeps getting weirder, fact.

Myth or fact, I learned at Fort Benning, Georgia, that ,"although he was a Jew, Jesus was a Ranger too". That was good enough for me.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

As with everything else, there's a Wikipedia page :P:D

Seems there's enough evidence that most classical scholars consider Jesus to have been a real figure. Obviously there's a little disagreement on the details :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I know the whole story allow me to edgumicate you all.

Jesus was Iranian/American, he flew on his Pterpdactyl to Mexico (source Wendy)where he freed a bunch of egg laying rabbits, he then flew to Utah and buried some gold plates to be found years later. The Natives tried to kill him for letting the rabbits go, so Jesus or Haysus as the natives called him turned there skin red.

He will be coming back soon to end the world and kill everyone...because he loves us.

Oh i can't wait for that day to come. :P

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

You show an insightful approach to understanding Christianity :)(except the gold plates were buried in upstate New York)

Wendy P.

Darius11

I know the whole story allow me to edgumicate you all.

Jesus was Iranian/American, he flew on his Pterpdactyl to Mexico (source Wendy)where he freed a bunch of egg laying rabbits, he then flew to Utah and buried some gold plates to be found years later. The Natives tried to kill him for letting the rabbits go, so Jesus or Haysus as the natives called him turned there skin red.

He will be coming back soon to end the world and kill everyone...because he loves us.

Oh i can't wait for that day to come. :P

now there's a religion I could get behind :D
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!