SkyDekker

Did you hear that you can't keep your policy even if you liked it?

turtlespeed

******This must be unpossible.
I've never heard such a thing!
My coverage has changed in no way whatsoever.

I'll give you an update after next week's company meeting giving us the scoop on the next round of coverage.

Other than the typical up-tick of the costs, I don't expect any noticeable changes.

Ditto here. I actually don't know one person yet who is part of this "my rates went up 60% and/or they took my policy away, I lost my insurance because of Obamacare, etc." I'm not saying they aren't out there, because I'm sure there are people impacted in different ways. But not having seen one of these incidences personally makes me wonder if it's as widespread, sky is falling, catastrophic that some of the news and right leaning media make it out to be.

What would you like to know?

Do you need paper backup? What proof do you need?

What do you mean what proof do I need? I already said that I'm sure there are cases out there where people are being impacted. My question was if it was as widespread as some media outlets are reporting it to be. What percentage of people is this happening to?
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

okalb

*** I actually don't know one person yet who is part of this "my rates went up 60% and/or they took my policy away,

Here is my story: I got a letter a week or so ago saying that my policy was being terminated as of Dec 31 because it is not compliant with the ACA. I went to find a new policy here is my result. My new policy is $200 less per month than what I have been paying. My deductible is substantially lower, my max out of pocket is substantially lower, my co-insurance is lower and my lifetime max is gone. I couldn't be happier with the change. So yes, I am one of those who had his policy cancelled. It was cancelled because it was a crappy policy that was a complete rip off that's why it wasn't ACA compliant. The only reason I had that policy is because it was all I could get in the past. The reason that I am able to get a much better policy for substantially less money is because of the ACA not allowing them to penalize me for my pre-existing conditions. This is a real life example of MY story, not something I heard from someone who knows someone who went to high school with a guy who lost his policy.

Thank you for sharing that. I've also heard from a couple other people personally, and it seems that a few others have your exact story. One of them is saying they are completely screwed and are not happy. I'm still on the fence with exactly what is going on with everything, but it seems like changes may be good for some, but not for all. I think that is to be expected when it comes to any kind of change with something, let alone a huge one in the health care system like this.

rushmc

******That's how insurance works. Alternatives are to have her simply die quickly, or have the government (which is also us) pay for her expenses, or have her be rich in the first place -- because for her to become employable and pay for future expenses, she'll have to have some rehab and help.

Edit to add: What do you see as alternatives? One can't go back in time.

My car insurance pays for the guy who got drunk and wiped out an entire family. Sucks, because I don't drive drunk, but that's how it is. I'm not in the high-risk pool, so I don't keep paying for him, but we don't treat cars like healthcare. I've said before that Obamacare isn't the best model -- but it's better than what we had, in part because it thinks about more parts of our healthcare complex, and in part because it will require change, which might just hone in on a more sustainable model.

Wendy P.

Better for how many?

Looks like 168M or over 50% of the country will be hurt worse with the ACA than without it.

this
and there will still be 30M uninsured
So what exatcly does the ACA fix?

This is exactly what I'm talking about-- where did you guys get these numbers? Or at least, where are they being forecasted since it technically hasn't happened yet? How about instead of "the sky is falling or is going to fall," can we please see current/factual numbers brought into the discussion?

Just a quick look and I found this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/11/12/the-obamacare-exchange-scorecard-around-100000-enrollees-and-five-million-cancellations/

Seems like a small percentage of Americans impacted, but the way some people here are talking about it, you'd think it was the majority of citizens.

GeorgiaDon

Get rid of EMTALA would have been a great start.

According to a former student of mine who is now an EMT, it is not uncommon for patients to be transported to the hospital without their wallet/purse/proof of insurance or bank account. When a patient is having a heart attack or has been in a serious wreck, seconds count (ever hear of the "golden hour"?). EMTs don't waste time looking for the purse or wallet that flew out the car window in the wreck, or searching the house for proof of insurance before transporting the patient. When that patient gets to the hospital, medical staff evaluate the patient and begin treatment as soon as is necessary to have a shot at saving their life. Police or family will bring in the ID/insurance info when they can.

Do you really want a system where people are left to die because their purse flew out the window in the wreck, or because the EMTs don't know where to look for an unconscious heart attack victims wallet? Where people who have paid for insurance are denied care just when they most need it because of a circumstance beyond their control.

Lawrocket, I've asked you this before when you brought up the "get rid of EMTALA" line, and you never answer. Perhaps you are thinking solely of the person who walks into the emergency clinic and demands care they have no intention or ability to pay for, but there are lots of ways for an unresponsive patient to arrive at the hospital without ID. If you advocate getting rid of EMTALA, how do you think hospitals should deal with such patients?

Don

Maybe the answer would be to implant a chip with insurance info into a person's body. Put it in their torso so if they lose an arm in the accident, or a leg, the chip doesn't get left behind at the scene.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

okalb

I just helped another friend get a new policy yesterday. She was paying $550/month with a $3000 deductible and a max out of pocket of $5K. Her new policy is $470/month with a $0 deductible and $2000 max out of pocket. She had 2 surgeries last year (shoulder/knee) and would not have been able to switch policies without the ACA because they would have been considered pre-existing conditions in the past. She could have paid $370 if she wanted to keep the deductible the same as she had, but decided to pay the $470 since it was less than she has been paying for the past few years and had a zero deductible.

Sounds like she should learn how to shop for medical insurance.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***I just helped another friend get a new policy yesterday. She was paying $550/month with a $3000 deductible and a max out of pocket of $5K. Her new policy is $470/month with a $0 deductible and $2000 max out of pocket. She had 2 surgeries last year (shoulder/knee) and would not have been able to switch policies without the ACA because they would have been considered pre-existing conditions in the past. She could have paid $370 if she wanted to keep the deductible the same as she had, but decided to pay the $470 since it was less than she has been paying for the past few years and had a zero deductible.

Sounds like she should learn how to shop for medical insurance.:)
Sounds like as usual, you have no clue what you are talking about, but thanks for the feedback.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Can we agree as a society that people have intrinsic worth, and should not be left to die or suffer unnecessarily because of a circumstance of the size of their bank balance? Or should we choose to embrace a vision in which people are commodities to be exploited for labor or profit, but are otherwise disposable (our own immediate families excepted, of course)?

Let's be honest here. Some people have no worth. Some are actually detriments to society, not just financially either.

If we're ever going to hope to get medical costs under control, we have to stop pretending otherwise.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

rushmc

The CBO reported the un-insured number

Thanks. Just checked and found this article that breaks it down nicely:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/11/08/obamacare-by-the-numbers/

Again, I'm missing the part where the majority is down the shitter as bad as all you guys are saying when it comes to Obamacare?

LyraM45

***The CBO reported the un-insured number

Thanks. Just checked and found this article that breaks it down nicely:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/11/08/obamacare-by-the-numbers/

Again, I'm missing the part where the majority is down the shitter as bad as all you guys are saying when it comes to Obamacare?

It has to do with the employer mandate that has been pushed off.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

[Reply]She had 2 surgeries last year (shoulder/knee) and would not have been able to switch policies without the ACA because they would have been considered pre-existing conditions in the past.

Um, no. HIPAA says that so long as she did not have a period of 59 days or more without insurance, the pre-existing conditions have to be covered. That's why it is called the "Health Insurance PORTABILITY and Accountability Act."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I read this whole thing and I wished I haden't....for a number of reasons.

The biggest reason is tha lack of truth here as well as other places...

You don't get to keep your current health care plan and have the fed fund it if it doesn't meet the minimum standards.

In other words if you have an existing policy that is shit because your insurance company is ripping you off. And there a more than a few out there, the fed isn't going to pay for existing corruption.

So on this point, and this point alone, the OP :ph34r: is a fuckin idiot for starting this conversation by not having the slightest clue what they are speaking about.

Cause if the funding for these limited scams was included you all would be saying the exact opposite of what your flaming about now in that the fed is funding scam policies!

So make up your ignorant minds and at least try to get some of your facts straight!!!

C

:)

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

lawrocket

[Reply] What crime did a person who is born with sickle cell anemia commit, that would justify lifetime disqualification from medical insurance?

A couple of things:

(1) So long as that person has remained insured, that person cannot be denied coverage. That's been the law for about 30 years now.

(2) This is the same argument I make about mental illness and, well, just about any right that people want to take away from people who are usually born with it.

(3) The ACA penalizes smoking tobacco, and only use of tobacco. So penalizing behavior isn't off the table. A line has been drawn.

We are in the business of drawing lines. Want proof? Why isn't there legislation that precludes life insurance companies from turning down people with preexisting conditions? Because a line has been drawn. Where the line falls is the debate, not the presence of a line.

O'h donut boy speaks,....

So basically what your saying is that the insurance companies have the right to only insure those that are never going to get sick? To change the law so that they can use statistics to ensure their profitability and then whilst at the same time mandate that insurance be a mandated commodity that every one must pay for as required by law to ensure their continued global domination???

And by the way insurance companies drop coverage in record numbers. Just because the national
enquirer doesn't report this doesn't mean that the vast majority of Americans are being fucked up tha ass so far they can taste the corporate dick.

Millions are denied coverage and millions loose their coverage as soon as they hit the hospital steps.

AND WHO FUNDS ALL OF THIS, AND WHO MAKES THIS SCAM OF EPIC PROPORTIONS POSSIBLE????????

Why your friendly local lawyer of course.....:)
C

You all think the movie Elisium is out of the blue,....???

Well it's here folks and has been for quite some time.....
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

LyraM45

****** I actually don't know one person yet who is part of this "my rates went up 60% and/or they took my policy away,

Here is my story: I got a letter a week or so ago saying that my policy was being terminated as of Dec 31 because it is not compliant with the ACA. I went to find a new policy here is my result. My new policy is $200 less per month than what I have been paying. My deductible is substantially lower, my max out of pocket is substantially lower, my co-insurance is lower and my lifetime max is gone. I couldn't be happier with the change. So yes, I am one of those who had his policy cancelled. It was cancelled because it was a crappy policy that was a complete rip off that's why it wasn't ACA compliant. The only reason I had that policy is because it was all I could get in the past. The reason that I am able to get a much better policy for substantially less money is because of the ACA not allowing them to penalize me for my pre-existing conditions. This is a real life example of MY story, not something I heard from someone who knows someone who went to high school with a guy who lost his policy.

Thank you for sharing that. I've also heard from a couple other people personally, and it seems that a few others have your exact story. One of them is saying they are completely screwed and are not happy. I'm still on the fence with exactly what is going on with everything, but it seems like changes may be good for some, but not for all. I think that is to be expected when it comes to any kind of change with something, let alone a huge one in the health care system like this.

Right. The ACA is designed to be a Godsend for some (the uninsured poor and/or chronically ill) and be a screwing for others.

How do you think okalb's policy is $200 per month cheaper than it was? How is it that the friend could have preexisting conditions, recent operations, and end up paying significantly less than Andy's friend who doesn't have the same conditions but makes a middle-class/upper middle class income?

Because Andy's friend is eating the cost to pay for your friend's coverage. In order for your friend to pay less, somebody has to pay more. And the ones who pay more are: (1) the healthy; (2) the young; (3) the self-employed; and (4) those making a higher income. Plus the subsidies that go on to make sure that the "price" does not reflect the "cost."

The ACA picked the sick and poor to benefit. (Ironically, many end up paying more, too - because they were uninsured to begin with). The young, healthy and middle-class are pissed because they are getting soaked.

ChrisD

I read this whole thing and I wished I haden't....for a number of reasons.

The biggest reason is tha lack of truth here as well as other places...

You don't get to keep your current health care plan and have the fed fund it if it doesn't meet the minimum standards. (So if the feds don't like it you can't keep it. Right. Exactly what the President promised would not happen.)

In other words if you have an existing policy that you like and has worked just great for you because it suits exactly what your needs are but that the President and especially I think is shit because your insurance company is ripping you off by giving you exactly what you are happy and content with and have been for the last few years, but since I say they are ripping you off then by definition you shouldn't like it because everybody must agree with me because I am the self-anointed arbiter of truth and what is likeable or not and you have no idea what is good for you but I do and the President does, you dumb ass peasants. And there a more than a few out there, the fed isn't going to pay for existing corruption and the feds are paying for this to grease the insurance companies with subsidies. Because we have to grease the insurance companies to make sure they aren't corrupt.

So on this point, and this point alone, the OP is a fuckin idiot for starting this conversation by not having the slightest clue what they are speaking about because again I am the top authority and if anyone asks me, I would certainly confirm to that person my intellectual and moral supremacy

Cause if the funding for these limited scams was included you all would be saying the exact opposite of what your flaming about now in that the fed is funding scam policies and rewarding the same insurance companies by forcing you to buy insurance from them. That'll teach them and teach you not to try to keep something you like

So make up your ignorant minds and at least try to get some of your facts straight!!!

C

:)

I just thought I'd insert some missing context in your posts. I agree with you, though. You are the chosen one whose intellectual firepower leaves the rest of us cowering in its intensity.

Now, since I don't know what's good for me, tell me what the best thing I should be eating for lunch. I mean, I know what I like and all, but I just don't trust myself as much as I trust you with matters both large and small. I think I like purple grape juice, but I really need you to tell me whether I should like it or should not.

ChrisD

***[Reply] What crime did a person who is born with sickle cell anemia commit, that would justify lifetime disqualification from medical insurance?

A couple of things:

(1) So long as that person has remained insured, that person cannot be denied coverage. That's been the law for about 30 years now.

(2) This is the same argument I make about mental illness and, well, just about any right that people want to take away from people who are usually born with it.

(3) The ACA penalizes smoking tobacco, and only use of tobacco. So penalizing behavior isn't off the table. A line has been drawn.

We are in the business of drawing lines. Want proof? Why isn't there legislation that precludes life insurance companies from turning down people with preexisting conditions? Because a line has been drawn. Where the line falls is the debate, not the presence of a line.

O'h donut boy speaks,....

So basically what your saying is that the insurance companies have the right to only insure those that are never going to get sick? To change the law so that they can use statistics to ensure their profitability and then whilst at the same time mandate that insurance be a mandated commodity that every one must pay for as required by law to ensure their continued global domination???

No. I'm saying that if a person is told, "if you like it you can keep it" then it means "if you like it you can keep it" and not, "you dumb fucks aren't smart enough to know what's good for you."

Question: if you don't like insurance commpanies, why do yoy support a law that mandates that you buy from them?

And no, insurance is not for those who will never get sick. That's nonsensical. Insurance is for "peace of mind" so that if an event does happen you've got coverage.

[Reply]And by the way insurance companies drop coverage in record numbers. Just because the national
enquirer doesn't report this doesn't mean that the vast majority of Americans are being fucked up tha ass so far they can taste the corporate dick.

Yes. They do. Quite often, in fact. But in "record numbers?" Hmmm. That's weird. Insurance companies cannot just arbitrarily drop a person. If it does, there are state and federal problems, as well as things like bad faith litigation that costs big.

Subjective perception and objective reality are different things. I think you should study up on the differences.

[Reply]Millions are denied coverage and millions loose their coverage as soon as they hit the hospital steps.

Millions per day? Month? Year? Decade? In history?

[Reply]AND WHO FUNDS ALL OF THIS, AND WHO MAKES THIS SCAM OF EPIC PROPORTIONS POSSIBLE????????

The government.

lawrocket

[Reply] What crime did a person who is born with sickle cell anemia commit, that would justify lifetime disqualification from medical insurance?

A couple of things:

Kindly explain how that applies to a newborn.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.