jclalor

A Third Of Louisiana Republicans Blame Obama For Hurricane Katrina Response Under Bush

quade

It appears as if 29% of Louisianans believe in, and another 44% consider the possibility of, Presidential time travel.

Article Title: "A Third of Louisiana Republicans Blame Obama for Hurricane Katrina Response Under Bush"

-274 Republicans were surveyed
-29% of people blame Obama
-29% of 274 is 79.46 people
-In 2012 the population of Louisiana was 4,602,000

In other news 90% of Americans believe in Santa Clause.
(Survey conducted with 24 students in my nephews Kindergarten class)

The only people being fooled here are the ones that don't understand statistics and/or believe every headline they read.

No really, all arguing and snide comments aside, does ANYONE think a sample size of 274 in a population of 4.6 million is in the least accurate or responsible for conclusive data? (We can even pretend the 274 weren't hand picked.) Serious question here.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

Just adding this part from the HP article which folks seem to have over-looked:

The Democratic-leaning polling firm, which provided its results to Talking Points Memo, found that 29 percent of Louisiana Republicans said Obama was responsible for the Katrina response.

Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

jclalor

August 16-19, 2013

survey of 274 Republican primary voters

I hope your not an active jumper with that bad of vision.

I see that now. Why not just call it Results of Louisiana Republican Survey? BTW, is this where we put up the vids of Democrats who supported Obama and the fun responses they have to questions?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

billvon

>A Third Of Louisiana Republicans Blame Obama For . . .

You can stop right there. Put anything after the "for" and it is equally valid.

Just like "half of all registered Democrats blame Bush for..."

Even the President hasn't done anything wrong. Everything wrong is Bush's fault.

Republicans will blame democrats. Democrats will blame republicans.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

quade

How much do you know about statistics? For instance, ever take a college class in it?

An excellent and concise explanation for people who haven't.
http://parkinslot.blogspot.com/2003/12/sample-size-and-statistical.html

Yes, in fact my degree required 3 different statistics classes just on the BS side. The main point in all of them being you can make statistics say whatever you want.

I still disagree with the sample size and your posting of someones ambiguous opinion on a blog isnt going to change my mind. I suppose my whole argument however is completely besides the point since the sample size wasn't even a true random sampling to begin with.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0628/More-than-one-third-of-Americans-believe-aliens-have-visited-Earth

More than one third of Americans believe aliens have visited Earth. They also believe guns make them safer, despite strong evidence to the contrary.

And this is appalling.
www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/05/americans-believe-in-creationism_n_1571127.html

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

lawrocket

Why must you include racism when stupidity is quite a valid response?

Just basic probabilities. Go with the most likely, then work your way down.

Look at how many people blame republicans for tornadoes.

...when, in fact, everyone knows it's trailer parks. (Which house welfare queens.)

All this reminds me of a news story I saw last year. An earthquake had happened in Oklahoma. A news reporter was interviewing a woman who had moved there from California, The woman was obviously angry because her home had received damage from the quake. She told the interviewer that she wanted the governor of Oklahoma to do something about earthquakes there! She said that she had moved to Oklahoma to get away from the quakes and tremors of California,

Chuck

Why didn't I think of that? What I'd like to know is, where is the 'common sense'? Seems to me that so many are so self absorbed they have lost sight of reality. Too many folks want to be 'taken care of' and lack self reliance. Heck, we've had earthquakes here in West Texas and china got rattled on shelves and a lot of comments were made but life went on. No one cried to the governor!

Chuck