melch

Bradley Manning nominated for the NPP

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/08/12/nobel-manning-petition/2643639/

I can't even find the words to express my disgust. I would love to have an extended dialogue with Mairead Maguire about the topic.

"Maguire said his leaks of classified information helped end the war in Iraq by hastening foreign troop withdrawals". Yes, this kid clearly helped end the War in Iraq with his persistent and constant efforts to achieve the nomination requirement to "have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.” It most definitely had nothing to do with the president who had been elected 2 years earlier and ran a campaign in which one of the major planks was to bring US forces home from Iraq. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that same guy also won a NPP (huge controversy) for his new climate and out reach towards the Middle East.

I am seriously loosing what little faith I had in the NPP committee. How can Ghandi and John Paul II get looked over but Manning manages to secure a nomination? In the grand scheme of things it matters little but I find it disheartening that men and women that have actually worked for something greater than themselves get upstaged by some punk who was looking for 15 minutes of fame and is a hot topic in the media right now. Sit on it and twirl.

melch

I am seriously loosing what little faith I had in the NPP committee. How can Ghandi and John Paul II get looked over but Manning manages to secure a nomination?

hell, Saddam got a nomination in 2003 for resisting the Americans and Brits. Nominations are irrelevant, so no reason to give it much of a thought.

melch

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/08/12/nobel-manning-petition/2643639/

I can't even find the words to express my disgust. I would love to have an extended dialogue with Mairead Maguire about the topic.

"Maguire said his leaks of classified information helped end the war in Iraq by hastening foreign troop withdrawals". Yes, this kid clearly helped end the War in Iraq with his persistent and constant efforts to achieve the nomination requirement to "have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.” It most definitely had nothing to do with the president who had been elected 2 years earlier and ran a campaign in which one of the major planks was to bring US forces home from Iraq. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that same guy also won a NPP (huge controversy) for his new climate and out reach towards the Middle East.

I am seriously loosing what little faith I had in the NPP committee. How can Ghandi and John Paul II get looked over but Manning manages to secure a nomination? In the grand scheme of things it matters little but I find it disheartening that men and women that have actually worked for something greater than themselves get upstaged by some punk who was looking for 15 minutes of fame and is a hot topic in the media right now. Sit on it and twirl.

He deserves it a lot more than Obama.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

melch

http://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/

Look like a bunch of different douchebags have nomination rights.

It's not hard to imagine they got 100,000 'online' signatures on the petition.

I'm doubting he wins.

LOL

The gift to Obama cheapened the award to the point I wouldn't be surprised if Calvin and Hobbs was a recipient.

Manning - HA, so what.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The guy exposed war crimes and has paid and is still paying hell for it, yea I hope he wins he showed balls and stood for what was right.

Last I checked its more appropriate to hate the guys killing innocent people including children then the guy who exposed the video.

Some of you have the most fucked up priorities.:|

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Last I checked its more appropriate to hate the guys killing innocent people including children then the guy who exposed the video.

What about the hundreds of thousands of other pieces of classified information that had nothing to do with that one video?

- Dan G

DanG

What about the hundreds of thousands of other pieces of classified information that had nothing to do with that one video?

You mean these?
(Source: thenation.com)

First, just a very partial list from “Cablegate” (excluding many other bombshells that caused a stir in smaller nations abroad):

* The United States pressured the European Union to accept GM—genetic modification, that is.

* The Yemeni president lied to his own people, claiming his military carried out air strikes on militants actually done by the United States. All part of giving the United States full rein in country against terrorists.

* The United States tried to get Spain to curb its probes of Gitmo torture and rendition.

* Egyptian torturers trained by the FBI—although allegedly to teach the human rights issues.

* State Dept memo: US-backed 2009 coup in Honduras was “illegal and unconstitutional.”

* Cables on Tunisia appear to help spark revolt in that country. The country’s ruling elite described as “The Family,” with Mafia-like skimming throughout the economy. The country’s first lady may have made massive profits off a private school.

* The United States knew all about massive corruption in Tunisia back in 2006 but went on supporting the government anyway, making it the pillar of its North Africa policy.

* Cables showed the UK promised in 2009 to protect US interests in the official Chilcot inquiry on the start of the Iraq war.

* Washington was misled by our own diplomats on Russia-Georgia showdown.

* Extremely important historical document finally released in full: Ambassador April Glaspie’s cable from Iraq in 1990 on meeting with Saddam Hussein before Kuwait invasion.

* United Kingdom sidestepped a ban on housing cluster bombs. Officials concealed from Parliament how the United States is allowed to bring weapons on to British soil in defiance of treaty.

* New York Times: “From hundreds of diplomatic cables, Afghanistan emerges as a looking-glass land where bribery, extortion and embezzlement are the norm and the honest man is a distinct outlier.”

* Afghan vice president left country with $52 million “in cash.”

* Shocking levels of US spying at the United Nations (beyond what was commonly assumed) and intense use of diplomats abroad in intelligence-gathering roles.

* Potential environmental disaster kept secret by the United States when a large consignment of highly enriched uranium in Libya came close to cracking open and leaking radioactive material into the atmosphere.

* The United States used threats, spying and more to try to get its way at last year’s crucial climate conference in Copenhagen.

* Details on Vatican hiding big sex abuse cases in Ireland.

* Hundreds of cables detail US use of diplomats as “sales” agents, more than previously thought, centering on jet rivalry of Boeing vs. Airbus. Hints of corruption and bribes.

* Millions in US military aid for fighting Pakistani insurgents went to other gov’t uses (or stolen) instead.

* Israel wanted to bring Gaza to the ”brink of collapse.”

* The US secret services used Turkey as a base to transport terrorism suspects as part of its extraordinary rendition program.

When it comes to his humanity unless you can show me he was paid for the information leaked , he is a hero in my mind.

This is a kid who was disgusted at what we did in the name of freedom, and risked and lost almost everything to expose it.
Why he released info that’s classified well the video and reports of murder, rape, etc were classified too what’s your point?
What more important to me is to stop the government from lying, and exposing people who hide murdering kids. That is a much higher priority in my book then punishing a guy who exposed secrets that the same child murder hiders said not to. those guys are the enemy not Manning at least not to me.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Yeah - so you didn't read the piece either.
Crazy

Of course I did. What did I miss? I paraphrased what it said:

"Petitions have no bearing on the selection of a recipient for the $1 million prize, though they are often submitted on behalf of a candidate, according to the Nobel prize committee."

In other words, a petition sent in by a group of people is not a Nobel prize nomination.
Owned by Remi #?

You mean these?

Those, and many, many others.

Are you saying that because some of the information he released made the US look bad, then it's all okay? I'd have more respect if he released only the bad stuff. The fact is, he just did a data dump without any regard to the damage it may have done. Not hero material in my book.

- Dan G

When it comes to his humanity unless you can show me he was paid for the information leaked , he is a hero in my mind.

That makes no sense. Getting paid is not material.

Why he released info that’s classified well the video and reports of murder, rape, etc were classified too what’s your point?

Why did he feel the need to release information that had nothing to do with these supposed murders, rape, etc. that you seem to know so much about? And what rape are you talking about? Or did you just throw that in because it sounds really bad?

What more important to me is to stop the government from lying, and exposing people who hide murdering kids.

Great. There are a lot of better ways to do that than what Manning did.

- Dan G

Now with a petition to give one to Manning shows what a joke one of those prizes is.

Does it? The decision by an unrelated group to send a petition reflects badly on the people who receive the petition? What if the people who received the petition had this to say about it: "The Nobel Peace Prize is not a popularity contest and a large number of signatures will neither help nor hinder (Manning's) candidacy"

Is that a joke?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

labrys

Yeah - so you didn't read the piece either.
Crazy

Of course I did. What did I miss? ... In other words, a petition sent in by a group of people is not a Nobel prize nomination.

But a nomination from a former Peace Prize winner is, and Manning has one.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

Now with a petition to give one to Manning shows what a joke one of those prizes is.

Does it? The decision by an unrelated group to send a petition reflects badly on the people who receive the petition? What if the people who received the petition had this to say about it: "The Nobel Peace Prize is not a popularity contest and a large number of signatures will neither help nor hinder (Manning's) candidacy"

Is that a joke?

YUP!

Chuck