regulator

Rioting over the zimmerman case should be an embarrasment to blacks

Andy9o8

Imagine being born into a society where, solely because of your race, 87% of the rest of the population thinks you're thug-looking if you're dressed in anything more casual than a business suit.

Eh, but that's just science fiction. Never mind.

What society is that?
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

If a thug looking guy is walking down my street you can be pretty sure he doesn't belong there, unless he's cutting the grass. Oh, and he doesn't have to be black to fit the profile.

Would you be so kind as to enlighten me about this "thug" profile? Exactly what characteristics identify someone as a "thug"? I'd like to be able to identify any "thugs", should they happen to wander into my neighborhood.

Don

Andy9o8

Imagine being born into a society where, solely because of your race, 87% of the rest of the population thinks you're thug-looking if you're dressed in anything more casual than a business suit.

that's one way to describe "jeans that come up just above the knees." To be fair, that plagues a bunch of poser white boys too.

But when you're part of a cohort that graduates from high school barely half (52%) of the time (and 4 years ago, slightly less than half of the time), maybe you need to try to exceed expectations for a while to reset them. Lower your crime rate, kill fewer of your companions, etc.

kelpdiver

when you're part of a cohort that graduates from high school barely half (52%) of the time (and 4 years ago, slightly less than half of the time), maybe you need to try to exceed expectations for a while to reset them. Lower your crime rate, kill fewer of your companions, etc.

Nonsense. None of that morally or practically requires someone to dress more than casually when walking to and from the corner store from his dad's house.

I'm surprised that you would fall for that simplistic talking point.

Andy9o8

******I think it's rather telling that certain people are so desperate to show black people behaving badly.

Really?:D:D:D

that quite the statement given how this case even got to trial:D:D

Thanks for the laugh

Really out there:D

Is it possible you're both more or less right? They're not mutually exclusive.

Arguably, the prosecution may have been desperate to show non-black people behaving badly toward blacks. Then the verdict was followed, quite predictably, by people desperate to show black people behaving badly.

Whites are called White, not "NON BLACK." I see you have some difficulty understanding who it is you are referring to. Including your reference to: "White, NOT CHRISTIAN" awhile back in another thread. Those people, Jews, Atheist, Scientologists, if such, are WHITE. A religion is not a race.

An child produced by an African American and a white person is called a multiple. As in the case of OBAMA who is a Multiple. It is any one's guess why OBAMA, a Multiple is acting like an African American when he speaks about the decision of a jury regarding a Hispanic defending himself against the blows from an African American young man.

Andy9o8

a thug looking guy

Oh, stop. I addressed this silliness several times in that other thread you started. Your little for-the-record disclaimer notwithstanding, he wasn't "thug looking"; he was a young black male who was casually dressed; and it's asinine on multiple levels to describe wearing a hooded sweatshirt as "thug looking".

One can only answer with a phrase you know very well: the totality of the circumstances. A bandana of a certain color does not denote a thugs. Plastic beads of a certain color in a certain order do not denote thug. Conspicuous absence of certain color items of clothing does not denote thug. Pants hanging off your ass does not denote a thug. Wearing jewelry in a "bling" style does not denote thug. A full grill does not denote thug. Add it all together and you look like a thug, and that is only on a stationary subject. Add in a pimp roll walk, peering into windows, appearance of impairment, a conspicuous bulge that does not appear anatomical or otherwise normally placed, a "hand check" of loose items, loitering in certain areas, or dozens of other indicators, an one can appear "thug looking" without doing Ny one thing that clearly on its own denotes a thug.

It's no different than an attorney defending a drunk driver who was not cited for any traffic violations other than DWI. Weaving, varying speed, slow response to tragic signals, open windows in cold weather, difficulty navigating turns or curves; none of them are illegal, but out them together an it's good reasonable suspicion for a stop (unless the officer is inarticulate and incompetant on the stand and the ADA is asleep at the switch).
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Andy9o8

I'm surprised that you would fall for that simplistic talking point.

This was the simplistic talking point: "Imagine being born into a society where, solely because of your race, 87% of the rest of the population thinks you're thug-looking if you're dressed in anything more casual than a business suit."

Now you seem to want to jump back to the incident at hand...and it's generally true that in this country, there is distrust of people who conceal their head. More so when they are much taller than average. GZ was suspicious of this person even before he was certain of the race of the person.

Andy9o8

a thug looking guy

Oh, stop. I addressed this silliness several times in that other thread you started. Your little for-the-record disclaimer notwithstanding, he wasn't "thug looking"; he was a young black male who was casually dressed; and it's asinine on multiple levels to describe wearing a hooded sweatshirt as "thug looking".

He was profiled because he was acting 'like he was on drugs' - and, it turns out that he was on drugs. The whole case was a waste of resources, and it's too bad zimmerman can't sue the state for going after him without a case. The special prosecutor who by-passed a grand jury should be disbarred over this. (and the pres should be censured for sticking his oar into an open case).
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Andy9o8

in this country, there is distrust of people who conceal their head.

...which is why cowboys are so terrifying.

I've made my point, multiple times now. I'm done.

You 'think' you've made your point. But then again it was TM's actions, not his race, that caused Z to look at him twice. Again, he was 'acting weird and looking like he was on drugs'.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Incase anyone missed this

reports, Trayvon Martin’s drug use, explaining how the Skittles and Arizona Watermelon Fruit Juice Cocktail drink he carried that night are ingredients that, when mixed with dextromethorphan (DXM) cough syrup, create “Lean”, a concocted high which can cause psychosis and aggression over the longer term.

- According to the autopsy report, Martin’s liver showed damage consistent with DXM abuse.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

normiss

17 years old with chemical use damaged liver?

Wait, I thought this kid was baby jebus!?

The only thing he is now is a pawn in politcal dirty politics

This really honors him huh:S
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Incase anyone missed this

reports, Trayvon Martin’s drug use, explaining how the Skittles and Arizona Watermelon Fruit Juice Cocktail drink he carried that night are ingredients that, when mixed with dextromethorphan (DXM) cough syrup, create “Lean”, a concocted high which can cause psychosis and aggression over the longer term.

- According to the autopsy report, Martin’s liver showed damage consistent with DXM abuse.

has this been confirmed by a reputable source yet? I can't help but be reminded of the initial (and ongoing) smear job by the other side of the media to paint Zimmerman as the baddie. Now we have equally damaging stuff attacking the dead. How to confirm this isn't a tit for tat game by unprofessional media people?

davjohns

The autopsy report is online. Liver was normal.

Except for the whole part where it says the liver has focal yellow discoloration due to mild fatty metaphorphis and hepatic parenchyma congestion.

You can read it all right here:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/05/17/trayvon.martin.autopsy.pdf

The section you want is on page 4 under the hepatobiliary system, sentences 1-3.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Gravitymaster

The autopsy report is online. Liver was normal.

In Internetland "Some people are saying that..." trumps actual evidence every time.

You mean like one person saying something contradictory and suddenly it becomes a fact?:o
Abraham Lincoln

GeorgiaDon

If a thug looking guy is walking down my street you can be pretty sure he doesn't belong there, unless he's cutting the grass. Oh, and he doesn't have to be black to fit the profile.

Would you be so kind as to enlighten me about this "thug" profile? Exactly what characteristics identify someone as a "thug"? I'd like to be able to identify any "thugs", should they happen to wander into my neighborhood.

Don

I don't know where you live. You might look like someone I'd want to pay attention to if you were walking down my street. Here's a little exercise...try a google images search on 'thugs' and see what comes up. That's a good place to start. Even google knows the difference.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Don

I don't know where you live. You might look like someone I'd want to pay attention to if you were walking down my street. Here's a little exercise...try a google images search on 'thugs' and see what comes up. That's a good place to start. Even google knows the difference.

Wow! You're right!

DanG

You mean like one person saying something contradictory and suddenly it becomes a fact?

More like when someone not known to be a left/right wing troll says something I give it more weight.

Bullshit. You hopped on it like a stripper pole dancing because it validated your point. You didn't give a rats ass if it was true or not.