kallend

Irresponsible parents of the week

Thanks funny, I got spanked a few times as a kid and I never feared my parents. What I feared was doing something bad enough to warrant getting a spanking. Sounds like successful discipline to me.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

And that's the same reason why adults hit children: because, physically, they can. And that's simply because children are not physically strong enough to defend themselves against adults. That's also why there aren't many 18 year old boys who get battered by their Dads, because when they were 17 they finally hit the old man back, and he went down hard.

You just described my actual experience, and even got my age correct.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

At any rate, anyone who thinks violence is an acceptable means of disciplining children is complicit with child abusers. Anyone who does it is a child abuser.

What a load of bullshit. I was disciplined many ways as a kid. Grounding, timeouts, not getting something, and when I did something really bad I got my ass whipped. :S

And look how you turned out:|

How did I turn out?

Well to help you out: A bachelor's degree in a field similar to what you teach, cum laude, a good career while training to be a test pilot, a clean driving and criminal record, with parents married 30 years this fall. Not many 25 yr olds can say that. So yeah, I wouldn't say I turned out too bad :S In fact, I could claim that I have a better understanding of right/wrong than many other people my age.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I think there may be a disconnect in this thread over what "spanking" means.

I have seen parents "spank" a child where the "spanking" was really just a couple light slaps on the butt. This is nothing like the beatings I got as a child which induced pain that sent me temporarily insane. I think the former is really just a physical gesture indicating disproval, as opposed to inducing pain as punishment.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I think there may be a disconnect in this thread over what "spanking" means.

I think the disconnect is on purpose to push the argument.

"spanking" <> "hitting"

"discipline" can be in many forms. Not all physical. not even close

"abuse" can be other things, in addition to physical. It can even be having a lax household without rules such that the kids turn out horrible. I wonder if someone could even make the argument that withholding a spanking is abusive if the kid results in someone spoiled and 'abusive' to other kids....I'm sure at some point, some kid will win a law suit against his parents, sometime, for being too soft on him...

it's such an obtuse thread with so many strawmen and odd/conflictive posturing, I'm sure we're breaking a fire code somewhere.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

it's just like a lawyer

It's just like a violent child abuser

touche, sir. i would rather be called that than a flippin' lawyer. and yes, there is just a little contempt in this post, i view lawyers as the bane of society. so, thank you for the compliment.
http://kitswv.com

If the two-year old victim also had had a rifle, this would not have happened! Hence, we need to make sure that all our toddlers are fully armed so that they can protect themselves and their right to bear arms.

"spanking" <> "hitting"

Oh, come on.

you are using the word "hitting" to get a rise. If you are against spanking, then I think that's each parent's choice. If you are against hitting and assault, then I'm with you. If you just want to blanket call 'spanking' to be the same as hitting and assault, then I think you need to define it more specifically so we understand just where you (and Normiss and everyone that's being dramatic about it) draw that line.

I've seen parents cross the line, but I've seen others that clearly don't - I don't want to demonize that 2nd group just because I'm outraged over the 1st.

have you ever just taken your child firmly by the arm and made them sit in a chair? If so, you are a horrible parent that abuses your child and doesn't have the tools for raising kids.

By your argument, seating your kid down likely hurts worse (and has more potential to leave a mark on those little helpless arms), than a swat on the butt. Therefore, since the swat = assault, then the firm seating must be > assault

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

it's just like a lawyer

touche, sir. i would rather be called that than a flippin' lawyer. and yes, there is just a little contempt in this post, i view lawyers as the bane of society. so, thank you for the compliment.

That's really tough shit. You see, you had a choice: discuss the topic like an adult, or be an immature little douche and try to troll someone. You chose not to discuss it like an adult.

if you want to instill fear of authority and fear of their own parents in your kids, that's your choice.

I don't believe it delivers the lesson that some parents think it does. I don't agree with it.
Works just as well as the "Don't do that Johnny" moms who never get off their asses to deal with their kids.

To me, a parent is there to nurture, lead, teach, and protect kids.
Physically hitting children accomplishes none of those.

And those same parents would probably have a different view of things when their kids start slapping them around when they do something stupid at an advanced age.

People often say the elderly start behaving like children. Why then can we not slap them around a bit?

People often say the elderly start behaving like children. Why then can we not slap them around a bit?

Now *there* is an interesting argument!:D

it's just like a lawyer

That's really tough shit. You see, you had a choice: discuss the topic like an adult, or be an immature little douche and try to troll someone. You chose not to discuss it like an adult.

WoW, not even so much as a warning for that PA.

it's just like a lawyer

You got wedgied a lot in middle school, I've no doubt.

ETA: Probably swirlied, too.

it's just like a lawyer

You didnt hear?

Attorneys with mullets are exempt from warnings or bannings.

it's just like a lawyer

Perhaps it's time to step away from the computer for a little while. It seems the real Andy9o8 is peeking out of the veneer.

nope, never. and when in junior high and high school, i went out of my way to keep others from being bullied. i had a couple of close friends who i was tight with and i was friendly toward almost everyone else. i have always stood up for those who either could not or would not and am very proud of it. i take great offense to being referred to as a child abuser, however it is america and you are allowed to voice your opinion, and you are welcome (as i actually served in two wars defending this right (ok, it was really about oil and the stupidity of a certain president)). and i am a little thick skinned, so any idiot's opinion on an internet forum will not bother me in the slightest.

carry on enjoying the freedoms that people like myself have fought for. and stand up one time, look toward the sky, and say thank you to the ones who gave their lives for you.
http://kitswv.com

Elder abuse and battery on a senior citizen are pretty harsh felonies in Florida.
Hopefully all states see it that way.
;)

Quite true. And what do we suppose the reason is for such laws?

Anyone? Beuller?

this is a digression, but why would there be a different set of rules and penalties for that crime just based on being a senior vs any other citizen? Is it, then, ok to commit battery on a 25 year old? Is it less wrong?

I suspect Florida favors stricter penalties because the population has a TON of seniors voting and they want 'special' treatment - so the members of legislature pander to them with nice sounding laws like this and they get more votes to do this stuff. just like any voting block that doesn't understand equality.