turtlespeed

Do you think Obama will be tough enough on Syria's chemical weapons use?

It's now our job to be the worlds police.

Evidently if we don't we are Evil America. If we DO, we are Evil America. At least if we do, its doing more good than if we don't.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'd argue we are doing significantly more harm getting involved in situations that are none of our business. You have to consider second and third order effects as well.

Typical liberals such as President Eisenhower and Gen. Douglas MacArthur knew this and repeatedly warned us about it. We ignored them. How's that worked out for us?

Maybe as part of a coalition where we're asked to include ourselves.

I sure don't want to be, yet again, the John Wayne of the world, "riding to the rescue."

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

".... chemical weapons have been used in Syria by the regime of embattled President Bashar al-Assad."

OTOH, Islamic militants are increasingly picking up on the rebels side.
"One path is to provide more muscular support to certain rebel units. The administration has been reluctant to arm the rebels because Islamist radicals,"

Supporting the rebels against Assad is cutting our own throat...once again.

Your choice:
- Assad and chemical warfare
- Islamic rebels

Me? Neither. Stand back, wait for the dust to settle and then eradicate the winners.
(I'm in a militant mood today. :D:D)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Without any definition of what qualifies as 'tough enough' the question is really just a general opinion poll on Obama.

Depending on the point of view of the reader whatever action Obama does take will simultaneously be way too tough, just right and totally pansy assed.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Without any definition of what qualifies as 'tough enough' the question is really just a general opinion poll on Obama.

Depending on the point of view of the reader whatever action Obama does take will simultaneously be way too tough, just right and totally pansy assed.

It runs that risk, but need not necessarily be so. One can try to honestly define tough enough based on what he/she would do if President, and then predict whether Obama would do it.

The rebels are having their successes, but a lot of Assad's disproportionate power comes from his command of the air, as well as armor. So, if I were President, I'd try to put an international coalition together to impose air control similar to what was done by NATO in Kosovo and Libya - no fly zone, combined with high-altitude smart-missile attacks on government armor.

That said, I'm not holding my breath waiting for Obama to step up and do that. So no, by that self-defined metric, I predict that Obama probably won't take the lead to be "tough enough".

ETA: Several news stories I'm reading have the White House saying they want to carefully investigate, and not rush to judgment. Guess that's the word from on high.

It runs that risk, but need not necessarily be so. One can try to honestly define tough enough based on what he/she would do if President, and then predict whether Obama would do it.

The rebels are having their successes, but a lot of Assad's disproportionate power comes from his command of the air, as well as armor. So, if I were President, I'd try to put an international coalition together to impose air control similar to what was done by NATO in Kosovo and Libya - no fly zone, combined with high-altitude smart-missile attacks on government armor.

That said, I'm not holding my breath waiting for Obama to step up and do that. So no, by that self-defined metric, I predict that Obama probably won't take the lead to be "tough enough".

ETA: Several news stories I'm reading have the White House saying they want to carefully investigate, and not rush to judgment. Guess that's the word from on high.

You do realize that to "establish a no fly zone" means that you must first attack and destroy all of Syria's air-defenses, right?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm not looking for another Iraq, trillions more spent, or more dead friends. OTOH, I'm not a fan of jihadis getting their hands on real NBC WMDs. This is the point where multinational agreement that something more than harsh letters but less than invasion is necessary toot sweet.

Islamist Rebels Create Dilemma on Syria Policy

Syria: Al-Qaeda's battle for control of Assad's chemical weapons plant

I won't hold my breath.

eta: links
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

>Where? Point him out? Where?

The guy in the White House is, fortunately, not thinking with his dick when it comes to Syria. That might change of course. But for now he's not taking us into another pointless war that fails to accomplish its goals. Nice to see.