Zep

Crazy gun laws

Whilst there's a lot of comments on SC about gun laws and reforms I thought I'd chip in with
my 10cts.

A few years ago Spain introduced a new firearms law banning the hunting of small game (Rabbits, Hare, Foxes ect )
and birds ( Starlings and crows ) with a .22 or air rifle, then last year they made it legal to hunt small game with a
.17HMR
I think some one in the government didn't do their homework.

Gone fishing

Well, the .17HMR is a necked-down version of the 22 Win Mag, which is a much more powerful round than a standard 22 Long Rifle.

Most of the "minimum caliber" laws are designed to ensure that wounded and lost game is kept to a minimum. From that standpoint, banning 22LR, but allowing 17HMR does make at least some sense.

But that's assuming that the 22 ban you are talking about didn't ban 22WMR in addition to 22LR.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Nope ban on the LR and WMR but I can shoot game with a .223

In my opinion the .22LR and the 5.5mm PCP air rifle are perfect guns for shooting small game
out to 100mts. I have a .17HMR (as the government obliged me to buy one ) and I think it's an overkill.

Ever shot a rabbit or hare with a .17HMR believe me it's not any good for the pot.

Gone fishing

Ban rabbits!

Now that's just racist, What they ever do to you.

Those things are dangerous!

You're telling me!?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Whilst there's a lot of comments on SC about gun laws and reforms I thought I'd chip in with
my 10cts.

A few years ago Spain introduced a new firearms law banning the hunting of small game (Rabbits, Hare, Foxes ect )
and birds ( Starlings and crows ) with a .22 or air rifle, then last year they made it legal to hunt small game with a
.17HMR
I think some one in the government didn't do their homework.

To ban small game shooting with .22LR is stupid, however .17HMR may be smaller but is more powerful. If you double the size of a bullet you double the energy but if you double the velocity you quadruple the energy.

Look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSIp22uaWrQ

Ahhh... Just read you post further down, now I understand why you said its crazy, overkill not bullet size. Yes you are right it will make a mess alright.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Hi turtle,

One of the best bunnies of all time; RIP Christa,

JerryBaumchen

I have always been a fan of . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

To ban small game shooting with .22LR is stupid, however .17HMR may be smaller but is more powerful. If you double the size of a bullet you double the energy but if you double the velocity you quadruple the energy.

Extra energy does you little good if the bullet passes through the target. I believe the 40 packs more KE than the typical 45, but most take the 40 as a compromise to get more rounds per magazine or the same weight.
(rephrasing - those who pick the 40 due it as a compromise, not because the physics numbers say it's better)

Hi turtle,

One of the best bunnies of all time; RIP Christa,

JerryBaumchen

I prefer catch-and-release with that type of game.:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Extra energy does you little good if the bullet passes through the target. I believe the 40 packs more KE than the typical 45, but most take the 40 as a compromise to get more rounds per magazine or the same weight.

Most of the tactical shooters I know shoot 9mm or .45ACP. When looking at penetration, the .40 round doesn't have the penetration that the other 2 rounds have (based on research they did and shared with me). I believe it had only 9" of gel penetration where the other two were over 12" (where 12" is considered "lethal impact energy" by some folks).

The .45ACP (depending on the numbers you look at) has between a one and five percent higher occurrence of "one shot stops" than a 9mm round (meaning the assailant stopped attacking after the first shot). Based on this, they choose 9mm based on it's penetration, capacity and recoil management.

All that said, shot placement is still very important, and the gun you carry is better than the one you don't. (not to start the which caliber is better war)

and I think the problem with small game and a .17HMR is the speed at impact. A supersonic impact will make a much larger wound channel than a sub sonic impact. A typical .22 round will leave the barrel just over 1000fps and at impact will have slowed. A .17HMR leave the barrel at about 2500fps and have a supersonic impact.
--
Rob

Here's a photo of a giant white rabbit (6ft 3.5ins) I shot last year

Wholly Crap!:ph34r:

Wow - that is an expressive set of ears if I ever saw any!

Here's a photo of a giant white rabbit (6ft 3.5ins) I shot last year

If Jimmy Stewart was still alive, I think he would be angry with you.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.