skypuppy

ny-gun-confiscation-underway-citizens-told-to-turn-in-pistol-owner-id-firearms/

[Reply]However, I also think it's a terrible reflection on the culture of society that it is EXPECTED that a large number of people would violently refuse to adhere to a law that was democratically passed.

It's actually why we have a Constitution. Because, believe it or not, the majority has a pretty decent history of shitting on minorities. Even WITH a Constitution the majority has shit on Indians, Blacks, Hispanics, Japanese, women, etc. Democracy is mob rule.

[Reply]The basis of civilized society is that all laws apply equally to all citizens - you don't get to pass on being subject to a law just because you don't agree with it.

Laws applying "equally" is not what democracy is about. And also, under your thinking, Martin Luther King deserved to be in jail. Ever hear of "civil disobedience?"

Now, tell me, how does one accomplish "civil disobedience" on the subject of being disarmed? In that case it's called "barricade."

I think that if you actuallyy start to think about stuff then you'll see you're creating a world that cannot exist. This applies to both sides of the discussion.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Just so we're clear, you're contending that the US is not a democratic country?

It's a republic. :D

A democratic republic is a country that is both a republic and a democracy. It is one where ultimate authority and power is derived from the citizens.

So everyone is right, and wrong at the same time.

No Professor, YOU, are wrong.

We are a Representative (Constitutional) Republic.

We are not a democracy,

Where did I write that we ARE?

Try to avoid strawman arguments, they just make you look silly.

PS are you still having an identity crisis with respect to Kennedy?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think that if you actually start to think about stuff then you'll see you're creating a world that cannot exist. This applies to both sides of the discussion.

I agree, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved, we just have different ideas of how to accomplish that and what those improvements are.

You honestly don't see any problem with the idea that people are so willing to kill others to hold onto their guns, and think that this is the only way to protect those rights? Martin Luther King and Ghandi would be turning in their graves...

There are always alternatives.

That doesn't even make sense...

And last I checked, Kennedy couldn't (nor anyone else) identify the "religion of America" nor the definition of happiness (changed to that because of slavery).

You and many others, have a shit load of reading to do... but you won't.

I'd say we are a constitutional representative republic, with representatives (other than POTUS) elected democratically. We are certainly not a democracy; seriously, when is the last time we has a popular vote on a proposed bill or other governmental action?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

A democratic republic is a country that is both a republic and a democracy. It is one where ultimate authority and power is derived from the citizens.

We are not a democracy,

You said in post 119 that the US is a republic and a democracy. It is in your own quoted text. You were wrong. It is not.

What the hell are you going on about? You think dmcoco and I are the same person? Wow. Have you been screened for paranoid schizophrenia? You're really getting out there. Maybe you fit your own non-definition of "nutter". Maybe your rights should be taken away from you.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I agree, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved, we just have different ideas of how to accomplish that and what those improvements are.

The problem is... you may very well be honest in that feeling, but Progressives, are NOT.

Read...

American Progressivism: A Reader

And,

Woodrow Wilson and the Roots of Modern Liberalism

... To Start.

You honestly don't see any problem with the idea that people are so willing to kill others to hold onto their guns, and think that this is the only way to protect those rights? Martin Luther King and Ghandi would be turning in their graves...

We have a right and a responsibility to overthrow a tyrannical government... but, until senators are beating the shit out of each other on the floor (it has happened - Civil War), we are no where near that point...

And an honest individual would know that if there was a gun confiscation in effect... anyone doing any shooting, will aid in losing the Republic.

If the US Government came to my door for my guns, 1) they would be hidden 2) I would say, "you may not have my firearms, Arrest Me."

Overwhelm the system is the only way... they wouldn't be able to handle it if EVERYONE did that.

But they (Progressives) want violence... Top Down, Bottom Up, Inside Out... because violence equates to the complete lose of the Republic.

It is a representative republic
Not a democratic republic
There IS a difference
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I think that if you actually start to think about stuff then you'll see you're creating a world that cannot exist. This applies to both sides of the discussion.

and there is a process by which to do the "improving"

But that is not what you and yours want

Too slow and you would loose
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

[Reply]I agree, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved, we just have different ideas of how to accomplish that and what those improvements are.

We also disagree on what "improved" and "improvement" means. That's the strange thing - "improved" and "improvement" are entirely subjective. Meaning that what you may consider to be an improvement I may consider to be a setback. Depends on what you're looking for.

Example: guy works out a lot and in the span of a year he adds 30kg of muscle. Improvement, right? Yes. Unless you are a distance runner, in which case the physique is poorly suited. I agree, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved, we just have different ideas of how to accomplish that and what those improvements are.

[Reply]You honestly don't see any problem with the idea that people are so willing to kill others to hold onto their guns, and think that this is the only way to protect those rights?

Wait a second here. Just wait. They have a right to bear arms. And yet you are saying in the same breath that the government that wants to take their arms - which they have a right to bear - will protect their rights?

Isn't that like saying, "the executioner will ensure your right to life?" Or how about, "the censor will maintain your right to free speech?" Or, "only by random warrantless searches can the government protect your rights?"

Seriously - what the hell are thinking?

[Reply] Martin Luther King and Ghandi would be turning in their graves...

In methodology - yes. Except Ghandi - he'd appreciate it. Recall, he wanted to ensure two things: (1) that the protesters were not violent and did not fight back; and (2) that the violence of the British upon the Indians was recorded and noted. Ghandi wanted to exploit the violence of the government against the innocent non-violent Indians.

So in this situation, it would be a few people getting ventilated by government police because they didn't want to give up their guns.

But my question to you remains: how can a government protect a person's rights by violating one or more of them? Seriously - in what other way can a person protect her right to bear arms - something that is outside of the scope of democratic process unless there is a Constitutional amendment?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Actually, martin luther king believed in guns

"One adviser, Glenn Smiley, described the King home as “an arsenal.” William Worthy, a black reporter who covered the civil-rights movement, almost sat on a loaded gun in a living-room armchair during a visit to King’s parsonage."

So did the black panthers...

"The eighth-grade students gathering on the west lawn of the state capitol in Sacramento were planning to lunch on fried chicken with California’s new governor, Ronald Reagan, and then tour the granite building constructed a century earlier to resemble the nation’s Capitol. But the festivities were interrupted by the arrival of 30 young black men and women carrying .357 Magnums, 12-gauge shotguns, and .45-caliber pistols.

The 24 men and six women climbed the capitol steps, and one man, Bobby Seale, began to read from a prepared statement. “The American people in general and the black people in particular,” he announced, must

take careful note of the racist California legislature aimed at keeping the black people disarmed and powerless Black people have begged, prayed, petitioned, demonstrated, and everything else to get the racist power structure of America to right the wrongs which have historically been perpetuated against black people The time has come for black people to arm themselves against this terror before it is too late.

Seale then turned to the others. “All right, brothers, come on. We’re going inside.” He opened the door, and the radicals walked straight into the state’s most important government building, loaded guns in hand. No metal detectors stood in their way."

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/09/the-secret-history-of-guns/308608/

And Ghandi would have been too busy sleeping with his granddaughter to care...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

We are not a democracy,

You said in post 119 that the US is a republic and a democracy. It is in your own quoted text. You were wrong. It is not.

Work on your reading skills. What I wrote was: "A democratic republic is a country that is both a republic and a democracy. It is one where ultimate authority and power is derived from the citizens."

Another strawman from Kennedy and/or his sock puppet.

That doesn't even make sense...

See post #64 of This thread and follow the "in reply to" links. I guess you don't even realize what you are responding to.;):D

We are not a democracy,

What the hell are you going on about? You think dmcoco and I are the same person?.

See post #64 of THIS thread and use a little bit of logic.:P

Laws applying "equally" is not what democracy is about.

In the USA we have a dollarocracy.

holy shit! we agree on something!

And depending on which constitutional scholar you talk to and which day of the week, I've heard our government described as a democratic republic and also a representative republic.

We can all agree, regardless of terminology that it is a republic with representatives elected through a democratic (dollarocratic?) process.
--
Rob

Laws applying "equally" is not what democracy is about.

In the USA we have a dollarocracy.

holy shit! we agree on something!

And depending on which constitutional scholar you talk to and which day of the week, I've heard our government described as a democratic republic and also a representative republic.

We can all agree, regardless of terminology that it is a republic with representatives elected through a democratic (dollarocratic?) process.

OK, I take it back... IDK WTF that is or what you are talking about.

I was thinking that meant along the lines of what Ron Paul called Obama, a Corporatist. Big Business and Big Government (picking winners and losers.)

No, I don't agree with that.

We simply have a low information voting populace and a two party system (with both parties infected by Progressivism - that's why you always seem to get the same thing when the other party gets in)...

However, related issues would be less of an issue if the 17th Amendment were repealed.

Interesting choice not to hear the case. If the Illinois ruling is appealed to SCOTUS and not heard or heard and upheld it will in effect be saying that, while you can't prohibit certain things, you can require a permit and then summarily deny all permit requests.

Sorta like BASE jumping in national parks.

So let's abandon seat belt laws because nothing will prevent all road accidents.

Lets abolish laws against bank robbery because we can't stop all bank robbers.

Let's leave all our doors open when we leave the house because burglars will always get in.

Let's not pre-flight airplanes before flying, because things go wrong anyway.

Followed later by:

Damn good thing the irony meter exploded earlier else we'd have massive casualties right here in SC. Oh! But wait! The Silliness Meter is up and runn....nope. It just exploded, too.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239