jclalor

Senators reach deal on gun background checks

Until you can find the Zombie Franklin and ask him,

best to keep an axe, or fire, handy in that case. his gun won't be a very good defensive weapon against the undead

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

if anything, he would stand by his ideals. i can deduce this by having read his letters and statements. sure it's a deduction, so it really should be thrown out. the only thing we can look back on is his words and actions. we, or anyone else, have no business making such deductions. the only thing we can and should do is read the words. unless he were around to ask, hell he could have been thinking anything when he wrote the words. could have been like, "gee, i wonder if anyone will believe this when i'm gone, will be the best joke in history"
http://kitswv.com

so to repeat: "sorry, dekker, stick to facts actually in evidence."

Until you can find the Zombie Franklin and ask him, or supply some actual support for your claim he might propose a different viewpoint, it's a waste of our time to make such a banal statement that 'maybe he would change his mind.'

I actually said the opposite. But let's not have facts stand in the way.

It is silly to blindly believe that a person could not change his ideas in 220 years. Specially when the technology that fueled the idea has drastically changed.

I also understand that to an American the idea of a founding father changing his mind is akin to a catholic being told there might not be a jesus.

It is silly to blindly believe that a person could not change his ideas in 220 years.

well, he would be dead, not a lot of mind changing there.....unless you believe the spaghetti monster keeps souls or spirits alive and they really care at that point

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

[Reply]A lot of their ideas have been adjusted over time, based on results, effects, changes in societies, etc.

Most seem to feel that is impossible when it comes to specifically the 2nd amemdment.

Why specify the 2nd Amendment? How about the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc,? I'll tell you this - to secure the safety of our society and our children the 4th Amendment needs to go - anybody anywhere can be building bombs, hoarding biological or chemical weapons, manufacturing ricin - and we have to find out BEFORE they kill and sicken our children. So does the 5th - the safety of our children is too important to maintain the antiquated "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard. Trial by jury let's too many dangerous people out - end it. Right to privacy? Revisit it because it means that government cannot work for you - how can the government respond to your needs if they cannot compel private information about you?

That's the point - the 2nd Amendment is no more - or less - important than any other Amendment. Than any other Constitutional right. All should get equal dignity.

Nobody has the balls to propose repealing it because they know it won't work. So they try other ways to get around it and appeal to mob rule. "The people of the country want this." So what? The Constitution is there to ensure that the will of the people has a check and balance.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

That's the point - the 2nd Amendment is no more - or less - important than any other Amendment. Than any other Constitutional right. All should get equal dignity.

And maybe one needs to be American to understand that. I simply do not see being able to have free speech and being able to carry a gun around as equally important to the wellbeing of a society.

It is silly to blindly believe that a person could not change his ideas in 220 years.

You have problems with reading comprehension.

Principles do not change. Human Nature has not changed.

Specially when the technology that fueled the idea has drastically changed.

Technology had nothing to do with it... and if technology became an issue, the Constitution can easily be changed.

I also understand that to an American the idea of a founding father changing his mind is akin to a catholic being told there might not be a jesus.

That's pretty stupid and condescending.

Our own citizens, because of the Progressive Era, barely know history... so your insinuations about the Men of the Convention, when you don't even understand how they viewed the scale of Power, is ridiculous.

This is similar to the circular arguments I have had with Quade...

And maybe one needs to be American to understand that.

No, you just need to read more... stop watching tv.

I simply do not see being able to have free speech and being able to carry a gun around as equally important to the wellbeing of a society.

"being able to carry a gun around."

Sigh... pathetic.

Human Nature has not changed.

Will you please stop saying this? :S

'Human Nature' is not equivalent to one mans opinions, ideals or beliefs. If it were 'Human Nature' then we'd all (or the vast majority) share that trait...

You're using a term that implies fait accompli to bolster an argument that is ENTIRELY based on beliefs. Franklins BELIEFS on safety vs freedom, and your BELIEF that it is impossible that this might have changed over the course of a quarter of a century.

I already have, multiple times... Death To Tyrants... my home state of Virginia's Motto.

Picking nits, "Sic semper tyranus" means "Thus always to tyrants", not death to tyrants.

Consider: an entire state whose motto basically translates to "Stick it up your ass." Classic.

And maybe one needs to be American to understand that. I simply do not see being able to have free speech and being able to carry a gun around as equally important to the wellbeing of a society.

And I understand that. But the Constitution is the supreme law of our land and it says that the right to bear arms still exists and is no less important than any other part of our Constitution - and its power exceeds that of poll numbers.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Our own citizens, because of the Progressive Era, barely know history...

Irony bomb: An overwhelming majority of history majors would be classified as "progressives" or "liberals".

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The Senate did the right thing. There are too many gun laws already. I think this shows the polls have been wrong about how many people in the US are for more gun laws as if they were, more Senators would have voted for the measure. The people have spoken; get use to it.

Now lets see how we can curb nutjobs wanting to kill kids.

OH I know:

People: if you see or hear anything report it to the police.

Police: if some citizen tells you some nutjob is going to shoot up the place, watch him.

Any question?

Citizen activists and a proactive police force is our only solution.

so to repeat: "sorry, dekker, stick to facts actually in evidence."

Until you can find the Zombie Franklin and ask him, or supply some actual support for your claim he might propose a different viewpoint, it's a waste of our time to make such a banal statement that 'maybe he would change his mind.'

I actually said the opposite. But let's not have facts stand in the way.

It is silly to blindly believe that a person could not change his ideas in 220 years. Specially when the technology that fueled the idea has drastically changed.

Principles

that is what is being talked about here

Principles do not "evolve"
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

So sorry

they are considered the same
Abraham Lincoln

Our own citizens, because of the Progressive Era, barely know history...

Irony bomb: An overwhelming majority of history majors would be classified as "progressives" or "liberals".

Blues,
Dave

And because progressives drive the curriculum, we no longer teach real history in our schools. Including colleges. History does not support progressive agendas
Abraham Lincoln

I think this shows the polls have been wrong about how many people in the US are for more gun laws as if they were, more Senators would have voted for the measure. The people have spoken; get use to it.

That's a possibility, certainly. Maybe the polls were inaccurate...

In scientific methodology when you get a result that doesn't align with your expectations you go back and check to see if you messed up something in your initial expectations. If you find that mistake (in this case it'd be the '90% of people' bits then you can run with the result you've got... You could probably say 'see - Government works!'

However if you go back and check and find out that that the polls WERE accurate, what then? What if 90% of the people are for more stringent controls but the system that's in place allows for Senators to be cajoled, bribed, blackmailed, forced, persuaded or otherwise convinced to act against those indicators for political expediency - what then?

We have a disparity between expectations and results. Something is wrong somewhere in the system... We should probably find out what.

And because progressives drive the curriculum, we no longer teach real history in our schools.

Please define what you consider to be 'real history' as opposed to what is currently taught... I'm genuinely curious.