OHCHUTE

So what about the kids? This thread is about Gay Parents

Can a transgender male (end state) be gay, and if so are they transgender or gay?

Report back when you understand that gender and sexuality are unrelated

And an edit... totally understand that if you actually *make* that connection, you'll be way too super busy exploring yourself to get back to us in a timely fashion.
Owned by Remi #?

Can a transgender male (end state) be gay, and if so are they transgender or gay?

Report back when you understand that gender and sexuality are unrelated

And an edit... totally understand that if you actually *make* that connection, you'll be way too super busy exploring yourself to get back to us in a timely fashion.

For some, it's clear genitalia is not a factor. If you think you are a woman then you are a woman no matter what is between your legs. Although I've not had too many discussions with the lbgt community regarding what they feel or what their motivations might be, what I"m learning is that the lgbt community is not interested in providing valuable information to aid the straight community to understand the lgbt community. Instead, they get defensive and attack with name calling etc. This works to further taint the lgbt community. You would think actions would be different. I didn't understand my cousins journey into the gay world either who was one of the first to die of AIDS in the early 80's when people didn't even know what AIDS was, and was horrible kept silent by the Reagan administration.

There is a reason Ellen comes out on stage wearing a mens suit. Why? She a lesbian, yet for some reason wears what men wear.

So OK, if you don't want the straight community to understand your community, then it is your fault there are misconceptions. A noble attempt to learn about you, fallen by the wayside. And perceptions that they might not raise kids, still persists. A jury still in deliberation as there's simply not enough examples of how successful the whole thing might be. None of my gay friends who live together are raising any children at the moment.

Although I've not had too many discussions with the lbgt community regarding what they feel or what their motivations might be

What a pity. I can tell you're trying really hard to find out, too.

If you let those families worry about what their children call them, then you can start worrying about all the different things kids call their grandparents -- meemaw, granny, nana, grandmother, mormor, abuela -- think of the children!

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

> Although I've not had too many discussions with the lbgt community regarding what
>they feel or what their motivations might be, what I"m learning is that the lgbt
>community is not interested in providing valuable information to aid the straight
>community to understand the lgbt community.

Hmm. So you feel it is their duty to educate you, as opposed to your duty to understand?

What form should that take? Should you be required to take a "LGBT understanding" course? Should your kids? Would that avoid problems caused by people being too lazy to learn on their own?

>There is a reason Ellen comes out on stage wearing a mens suit. Why?

She probably likes men's suits.

There's a reason that freeflyers pierce their ears. Is it because they want to look like women? Or do they just want to pierce their ears?

>A noble attempt to learn about you, fallen by the wayside.

Calling people names, then admitting you haven't really made an effort to learn about someone, is not a "noble attempt." A lot of people here have shown a great deal of patience trying to break down your prejudices. You're spitting on their efforts.

I have a friend who's a lesbian. She's been in a 10+ year relationship with her SO. 5 years ago she went through in-vitro fertilization using a good friend's sperm. Today she has a beautiful 4 year old girl, very funny, smart and wise beyond her years.

It doesn't matter a flip what orientation or sex the parents are. What matters is HOW the child is reared. There are kids with traditional parents that should never have had kids in the first place. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

> Although I've not had too many discussions with the lbgt community regarding what
>they feel or what their motivations might be, what I"m learning is that the lgbt
>community is not interested in providing valuable information to aid the straight
>community to understand the lgbt community.

Hmm. So you feel it is their duty to educate you, as opposed to your duty to understand?

What form should that take? Should you be required to take a "LGBT understanding" course? Should your kids? Would that avoid problems caused by people being too lazy to learn on their own?

>There is a reason Ellen comes out on stage wearing a mens suit. Why?

She probably likes men's suits.

There's a reason that freeflyers pierce their ears. Is it because they want to look like women? Or do they just want to pierce their ears?

>A noble attempt to learn about you, fallen by the wayside.

Calling people names, then admitting you haven't really made an effort to learn about someone, is not a "noble attempt." A lot of people here have shown a great deal of patience trying to break down your prejudices. You're spitting on their efforts.

There you go twisting things around to suit your motive. I've not done any name calling. I have attempted to learn but there's been little information except for BS. How are we suppose to learn about the gay community if no answers are provided. You will admit the gay community in the 70's and 80's had quite a steamy reputation with all the Baths in San Fran, sex in public places etc. that now all of a sudden, the community wants to look responsible, enough so to raise kids. All we know is this: gay marrage is a recent phenomenom. Not all states allow it. In many states it's on the referundum to be voted on. It would seem that if gays want to get married they might act in a manner that might get people on their side. And that is not what is being done here.

About gays raising kids, this is not an isolated conversation that only I brought up. It's being talked about around the world, and it may interest you that as gay marriage is allowed in some places, adoption of childred is prohibited.

Also, looking at the colored map, the gay community might be thankful they live here instead of in the Middle East where homosexuality practice can be punnished by death.

Here you go, states that say OK to marriage but the jury is out about reasing kids in some circumstances.

And if it's OK that gays get married, what's the hold up in adopting kids or producing kids via IFV, is the question. There must be a reason...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory

In the instance of two male homosexual married men who want to adopt a child, what right does the child have to be raised by a female? What is societies responsiblity in this instance to allow the child to be raised by a female instead of a surogate female, a homosexual male. And if the gay community can't tolerate being asked these questions, and provide meaningful answers then their plight to adopt kids might be delayed. At least from this dialogue I'm still out with the jury.

>How are we suppose to learn about the gay community if no answers are provided.

Ask them. There are several right here on this thread.

>You will admit the gay community in the 70's and 80's had quite a steamy
>reputation with all the Baths in San Fran, sex in public places etc.

That's as accurate as thinking that Christians have quite a reputation with all the "god loves dead fags" protests they do at soldier's funerals, and all the children they molest. That doesn't represent most of Christianity; it's just very newsworthy so you notice it more.

You may not have seen the less-colorful stuff that was going on in the 1970's timeframe, but there were events that were actually a lot more important.

The Stonewall riots. Cops would regularly go into NY bars and arrest people just because they were gay. Finally, one day in 1969, the patrons of a bar called the Stonewall Inn resisted arrest. Others joined them and there were several days of riots. After a few weeks several gay organizations formed to broker a truce between the police and the gays of NYC. These were some of the first gay rights groups in NY. A year later they held the first "gay pride" parade to try to overcome the oppression these groups lived under.

The first gay pride parades also happened in 1970 in Chicago and Los Angeles.

In 1973 the American Psychiatric Association removed "homosexuality" as a mental disorder from their list of diagnoses.

In 1977 Harvey Milk was elected as the first openly gay county supervisor in San Francisco.

The most important part of this is that throughout 1970 states began to repeal laws that criminalized homosexuality. The reason you didn't see much homosexuality before this is that is was illegal - so the only people you saw as openly gay were effectively criminals.

>now all of a sudden, the community wants to look responsible, enough so to raise kids.

The "community" wants the same rights everyone else has.

>It would seem that if gays want to get married they might act in a manner that
>might get people on their side. And that is not what is being done here.

That, to me, sounds like "if blacks want the right to vote they should know their place and not be uppity." (Most people ARE on the side of gay rights BTW.)

>And if it's OK that gays get married, what's the hold up in adopting kids

Like you just said, it's illegal in some places.

>In the instance of two male homosexual married men who want to adopt a child,
>what right does the child have to be raised by a female?

?? None. What right does a child, whose father has custody of him after a bitter divorce, have to be raised by his mother? Legally, none.

>What is societies responsiblity in this instance to allow the child to be raised by
>a female instead of a surogate female, a homosexual male.

Again, none. Surely you are not arguing that men cannot raise children? If so, you have an awful lot of divorce law to try to rewrite.

Not sure why they prefer mens hair styles? At least one of the girls could have a little longer hair with some curls. They look like two guys walking around. Why would two lesbians want to look like two gays. Now would not that confuse a kid? I don't have a clue, the reason the question was asked and why I think the jury is still out on the affects of lbgts raising kids.

That is where straight couples have the advantage, because we know that hetero guys always have fabulous hair.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You will admit the gay community in the 70's and 80's had quite a steamy reputation with all the Baths in San Fran, sex in public places etc. that now all of a sudden, the community wants to look responsible, enough so to raise kids.

Next thing you know heterosexuals in Nevada will want you to think they can raise families, and we all know what happens there with the brothels and the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" debauchery. The very idea!

Also, looking at the colored map, the gay community might be thankful they live here instead of in the Middle East where homosexuality practice can be punnished by death.

You should be thankful you live there instead of North Korea, where talking about anything controversial might get you disappeared, yet you show no sign of wanting to shut the hell up. Go figure.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Seriously though, what about my girlfriend and I. We don't need to adopt or use IVF, we can chuck out all the kids we want. Do you have a problem with her being bi and having kids? Is the situation not 'gay enough' so you don't have a difficulty with it?

Seriously though, what about my girlfriend and I. We don't need to adopt or use IVF, we can chuck out all the kids we want. Do you have a problem with her being bi and having kids? Is the situation not 'gay enough' so you don't have a difficulty with it?

now, if you too admit you are bi, maybe it'll be gay-enough for him to start having objections.
Remster

Nope, sorry Remy, you'll have to look elsewhere. :P Just her.

Genuinely interested though. He started the thread with quite an extreme example. This is quite a mild example. Is it a shades of grey thing or an all or nothing problem? How much gay is too much gay? Are there points? Do we get to collect stickers/patches? :)
Are there 'gaycrest' awards where you have to complete an '8-way' or a verified 'baton pass' (yes those are euphemisms) before you collect your award?