rushmc

No One Will Answer The Question

I have asked this question in one form or another in multiple threads. Always ignored

So, I will start this thread and try it this way

Preface
Obama and many others have admitted openly that if all the proposals made so far had been in place, none of them would have stopped the Sandy Hook shooting

So I ask

Why implement any of them?

Tell me what good they would do!

If just one or a few of them would have worked, which ones?

What is the end game?

Inform the rest of us please

If there is not an answer for any of these questions then billvon, you will have to say the banners are the ones pushing gun sales.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Because there is nothing that is 100% effective.

But that doesn't mean you never do anything.

Having a gun didn't prevent a seal from getting shot and killed at a gun range. Does that mean you are going to stop carrying a gun for protection?

So. You agree with the post before yours
Abraham Lincoln

Nothing can absolutely prevent anything. However, a decrease in gun deaths and injuries can be a significant impact on accidental deaths.

Whether or not that is possible is debatable. There are many countries with lower gun ownership rates than the US; many of them have lower gun death rates as well. Most of those have higher other-weapon death rates than ours, but most of them (as compared to their own population) have lower overall murder rates than ours.

Personally, I'd be all over a proposal for a scheme like the one that you said is the case for Iowa, where someone has to have an "OK to buy guns" card, issued by a local authority. That ensures at least some sort of due process, and provides a fairly clear-cut dividing line for legal vs. illegal transactions.

Seat belts don't prevent all auto fatalities; neither does making drunk driving illegal. Reserves don't prevent all skydiving fatalities, but most of us use them. There are few 100% solutions to anything in the world, and there are none to complex problems. So if a problem is identified (whether it's a problem is sometimes the debate), the only way to address it is piecemeal.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yes that's what I said :S ll

The US has a problem with gun violence. Guns kill more Americans than terrorism kills people worldwide.

No

The US has a violence problen
Yet it is less than many other countries that have few guns

You basicly addmitted that there is no real advantage to doing any of the things
Only that it might make you feel better

And your stat is misleading at best
Common practice of emotional gun banners
Abraham Lincoln

Nothing can absolutely prevent anything. However, a decrease in gun deaths and injuries can be a significant impact on accidental deaths.

Whether or not that is possible is debatable. There are many countries with lower gun ownership rates than the US; many of them have lower gun death rates as well. Most of those have higher other-weapon death rates than ours, but most of them (as compared to their own population) have lower overall murder rates than ours.

Personally, I'd be all over a proposal for a scheme like the one that you said is the case for Iowa, where someone has to have an "OK to buy guns" card, issued by a local authority. That ensures at least some sort of due process, and provides a fairly clear-cut dividing line for legal vs. illegal transactions.

Seat belts don't prevent all auto fatalities; neither does making drunk driving illegal. Reserves don't prevent all skydiving fatalities, but most of us use them. There are few 100% solutions to anything in the world, and there are none to complex problems. So if a problem is identified (whether it's a problem is sometimes the debate), the only way to address it is piecemeal.

Wendy P.

Iowa's process does seem to work ok

Two things always come to mind for me

Is the data kept?
It is already proven that registration data does very little if anything so why do it? (only one reason I can think of) Canada learned this after spending billions of dollars on a now defunk data base

And , the if it only save 1 life comment. Of course this is pure emotional bull shit

IF this were really an issue then we had better be talking about many other ways people die

Many like to use the UK as an example of success from banning guns

Well, guns are still used and the violence rate is higher per capita than the US so guns do not seem to be a driver .

If we are to do something then lets do something that will work
Nothing suggested will do much if anything

Now it is about time for the straw master kallend to ask why we all want loonies and fellons to get guns:S
Abraham Lincoln

It's like giving antibiotics to treat the flu in a child. Even though it won't have any beneficial effect, and may even have a negative effect, the pediatrician may feel compelled to treat the parent. Then, when the patient feels better because of regular processes that would have occurred regardless of the treatment, the parent will associate the antibiotics with the improvement.

It's how Bill Bennett fixed the crack epidemic when he was "Drug Czar." He focused on a side issue (guns and gang violence), publicized counter-gang operations, and let crack users die off until the epidemic was cured by attrition. It's a tried and true political maneuver - sidestep an actual fix to accomplish another policy goal.

Note: I'm still dismayed at the lack of attention being paid to the president's policy that HIPAA is an "unnecessary legal barrier." It scares me more every time I think about it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

before anything is done, the problem has to be identified. i do not think there is a problem with guns here, it is a problem with the glorification of violence in society. and the falsification of violence; nothing is ever shown of the consequences, and even the violence depicted is seldom accurate: in any fight scene you have ever seen, how many cuts and bruises are shown? or how often is a guy hit with a heavy blunt object knocked out?
until this is addressed, simply making it harder for law abiding citizens to obtain a gun legally will do nothing to stem the tide of violence and/or death.
and there is a huge difference in choosing to use any safety device(aad, seat belt, etc.) and having the government mandate the use. anyone for government intervention in skydiving and outlawing swooping??
anyone??
http://kitswv.com

Note: I'm still dismayed at the lack of attention being paid to the president's policy that HIPAA is an "unnecessary legal barrier." It scares me more every time I think about it.

Yes
Along with the drone usage topic

And it is not just Obama

Many presidents have been eroding our rights

In the end, nothing proposed will do any good. And I think it can safely be said that even if HIPAA is completley thrown out the window, and the more through back ground ckecks are somehow implimented, the rate of mass murders will not change
Abraham Lincoln

First, you have a burning desire to disarm the peasants.

Then, you use an emotional event or series of events to get people upset.

You channel that emotion toward your own ends.

The peasants are one step closer to being totally disarmed. Eventually, your children will rule their children despite all the 'democracy' nonsense.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

before anything is done, the problem has to be identified. i do not think there is a problem with guns here, it is a problem with the glorification of violence in society. and the falsification of violence; nothing is ever shown of the consequences, and even the violence depicted is seldom accurate: in any fight scene you have ever seen, how many cuts and bruises are shown? or how often is a guy hit with a heavy blunt object knocked out?
until this is addressed, simply making it harder for law abiding citizens to obtain a gun legally will do nothing to stem the tide of violence and/or death.
and there is a huge difference in choosing to use any safety device(aad, seat belt, etc.) and having the government mandate the use. anyone for government intervention in skydiving and outlawing swooping??
anyone??

Good post

Not the first time but now is a good time to bring it up again

Guns are not the issue. Taking guns away will not eliminate violence

And I think swooping and small canopies should be outlawed because it may save just one life and that would be worth it

(Sarcasm off)

Abraham Lincoln

First, you have a burning desire to disarm the peasants.

Then, you use an emotional event or series of events to get people upset.

You channel that emotion toward your own ends.

The peasants are one step closer to being totally disarmed. Eventually, your children will rule their children despite all the 'democracy' nonsense.

You got your nomex on, right?

:P
Abraham Lincoln

Sometimes, the truth hurts.

The apparent goal is to reduce the violence we have seen recently. The proposed solutions are acknowledged to have no such effect. Therefore, the actual goals must be different.

The proposed solutions include: outlawing guns with barrel shrouds (lots of drive-by shrouding going on); outlawing guns with threaded barrels (WTF?); outlawing guns with extra grips (which make them harder to conceal); outlawing guns with collapsing stocks (which make them esier to conceal, but still bloody hard); etc.

My proposal for the actual goals are consistent with the actions of those proposing new rules.

When people's words and actions don't agree, watch their actions. Those tell you their true intent.

The proposed actions are not logically designed to bring about the stated intent. Therefore, the stated intent is a lie. I propose an actual intent that is more in line with the actions when you ignore the lie.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Sometimes, the truth hurts.

The apparent goal is to reduce the violence we have seen recently. The proposed solutions are acknowledged to have no such effect. Therefore, the actual goals must be different.

The proposed solutions include: outlawing guns with barrel shrouds (lots of drive-by shrouding going on); outlawing guns with threaded barrels (WTF?); outlawing guns with extra grips (which make them harder to conceal); outlawing guns with collapsing stocks (which make them esier to conceal, but still bloody hard); etc.

My proposal for the actual goals are consistent with the actions of those proposing new rules.

When people's words and actions don't agree, watch their actions. Those tell you their true intent.

The proposed actions are not logically designed to bring about the stated intent. Therefore, the stated intent is a lie. I propose an actual intent that is more in line with the actions when you ignore the lie.

EXCELLENT!! Well stated and I totally agree

I will copy and paste this post (with your permission) the next time Quade or another says no one is wanting to take your guns away

Still, make sure your FR clothing is on;)
Abraham Lincoln

Anything I put online can be used without permission. It's kind of the rules of the internet as far as I'm concerned. That's why there are no naked pictures of me in the world. lol

Anything I put online can be used without permission. It's kind of the rules of the internet as far as I'm concerned. That's why there are no naked pictures of me in the world. lol

I know

Just being sardonic
Abraham Lincoln

The US has a problem with gun violence. Guns kill more Americans than terrorism kills people worldwide.

No

76% of US murders are committed with guns. You CAN figure it out if you really try to overcome your prejudice.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Wendy P.

Iowa's process does seem to work ok

And 33 states have no such process.

Why implement any of them?

Because they might reduce the liklihood of such an event in the future.

Yet another BS strawman argument from Rush... :S

I'm so bored of your (and others) continual 'if we can't 'fix' everything at once, we may as well do nothing at all' arguments. That, combined with the 'but x causes more deaths than guns' is getting really tedious.

Do you have anything new or interesting to say, because if you're just going to keep repeating the same stuff but voiced in different ways, I could replace your posts with a very simple computer script...

Let me see -

RUSH:

option Explicit
Dim arMessages(10) as string
'
private Sub Form_Load()
Randomize Timer
arMessages(0) = "Violates 2nd ammendment"
arMessages(1) = "Unconstitutional"
arMessages(2) = "No proof it would have worked before"
arMessages(3) = "No AR was used!"
arMessages(4) = "Cars cause more accidents - fix that first"
arMessages(5) = "Arm everyone! that's the solution!"
End Sub
'
private Function GetRandomMessage() as string
Dim iIndex as Integer
iIndex = Int(11 * Rnd)
GetRandomMessage = arMessages(iIndex)
End Function
'
private Sub cmdGetText_Click()
MsgBox GetRandomMessage()
End Sub

there you go. You entire contribution... feel free to use it next time you want to make a post. :ph34r:

It's like giving antibiotics to treat the flu in a child. Even though it won't have any beneficial effect, and may even have a negative effect, the pediatrician may feel compelled to treat the parent.

No. It's like giving flu vaccine to prevent the flu. About 66% effective but worthwhile all the same.

No

76% of US murders are committed with guns. You CAN figure it out if you really try to overcome your prejudice.

Fewer guns does not equate to fewer murders. You need to overcome your prejudice also.

No

Everyone already knows you want to ban guns
No need to prove it anymore
Abraham Lincoln

No

Fewer guns does not equate to fewer murders. You need to overcome your prejudice also.

You might want to check the statistics on gun ownership and murder rate in developed (first world) nations before making a claim like that.