Longbow1415

Europe...goodbye?

Why are they living in Europe and not working? Because they can. Useless dossers are the same wherever they go Brits can claim the dole across Europe if they want to and there are plenty who do. As for the rest of the 2 million, at the moment you can just get up and go its easy, if the UK pulls out do you seriously think that there won't be consequences? Try getting a resident visa and a work permit then and see how easy it is.
Also there will be a big adverse economic reaction, only in the last week or so Honda decided not to invest in the UK because of our uncertain future in the EU.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Hi Longbow,

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight.

I heard about this today on NPR. Oops; National Public Radio for you non-'Mericans. :P

I have been paying 'some' attention to the UK vs the EU and my money says that you will vote to leave. If it really comes to a vote.

Things change,

JerryBaumchen

PS) Now where's my popcorn?

We affirmed our friendship with France yesterday, btw.

Well, it's good to know you two are playing nicely.

:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I agree with much of what you say there but...

the French, who have a fantastic Health Service,

You're having a laugh.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

It’s more talked up among the set that reads “The Sun” and watches “Jeremy Kyle” (US equivalent of reading National Enquirer and watching Jerry Springer). These numbers of people have votes too, so politicians will tell them what they want to hear. It is highly doubtful that we will have a yes/no vote on the EU.

We have both Wales and Scotland wanting to be independent countries. Next we’ll have the county of Essex wishing to be their own country (US equivalent of Jersey Shore re culture).
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Yes, he is playing it along the lines of keeping us in Europe by "giving us the facts"
We all know the facts..so however the plus is dressed up and spun...we will say NO
The English Channel is not an accident.

You think you'll get a chance?

Honestly, I have no idea what everyone is getting so worked up about: nothing's going to happen. You can distill Cameron's speech down into three important points:

1) We should remain in the EU.

2) We should throw our weight around a bit more and renegotiate an EU that's better for us.

3) You can have a referendum! (But not now) You'll definitely get a referendum! (But we'll need a few years to try and sort out the EU first) But seriously, honestly, we'll give you a referendum! (OK, not until you've voted us in again but we'll put it in our manifesto so you'll know we're serious)

He even references in his speech that referendums have been promised before and not delivered and yet this time people are taking it seriously. Blatant sop to the euroskeptic power base who are pissed off with the coalition over just about everyone else. Never going to happen.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

All political parties have promised a referendum and then backed off holding it. I agree with Skyrad, I believe this is just to secure the next election, then there will be all sorts of reasons to delay, postpone or forget the promise.
As a general queston, (and I dont know the answer and hopefully I have not mis-heard or mis-remembered) - why can't the 3 major parties be sued - like an american class action - for breach of contract? All parties had the referendum in their manifesto, and none have held them?

I think you're right, this is just to stop the haemorrhaging of Tory supporters to UKIP.

This.

UKIP is quickly becoming the third party at the moment and Cameron's mocking comments about them will only take him so far.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

The wars are long over?
Really?

You mean like in the Balkans?

and which Balkanic AND European country was at war ?

I was under the impression that the Balkan region (former Yugoslavia) was in Europe. That they are European countries.

And they were at war less than 20 years ago.

I'm not sure how that would qualify as "long over."

I don't think that the democracies of Western Europe are likely to go to war with each other again.

But didn't Russia invade Georgia in 2008? Again, isn't that Europe? And how is 5 years ago "long over."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

What the...

Dude, how come I said it and you're getting all the credit!:P

Its not what you say its the way you say it :P
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Hi Longbow,

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight.

I heard about this today on NPR. Oops; National Public Radio for you non-'Mericans. :P

I have been paying 'some' attention to the UK vs the EU and my money says that you will vote to leave. If it really comes to a vote.

Things change,

JerryBaumchen

PS) Now where's my popcorn?

Me i just hope that regardless of what the vote is we don't end up with a attempt by the rest of Europe to Bully us. As happened when the vote went against them in a few countries, who voted NO. Then somehow they had to return to do it all over again :S

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

"Me i just hope that regardless of what the vote is we don't end up with a attempt by the rest of Europe to Bully us. As happened when the vote went against them in a few countries, who voted NO. Then somehow they had to return to do it all over again"

Yes that just shows how corrupt and disgusting the whole un elected union is. Only a fool would support an un elected body to rule so many nations as one.