Pteropuss

High powered motor vehicles

Every year in America there are 35,000 people killed in auto accidents, 200,000 incapacitated, and two million injured. Why does anyone need a car with 400 horsepower? Why does anyone need a car that will accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 6 seconds? Why does anyone need a car with a top speed of 150 mph? Why does anyone need a SUV that weighs 6,000 pounds? I think it's time to ban these dangerous high-capacity assault vehicles. Do it for the children. If it will save just one life, it will be worth it. I demand that the President immediately issue a series of executive orders to deal with this ongoing massacre.

Some of us drive our high performance cars at the limit where they were engineered to operate. Some of us drive our high performance cars on the race track. Don't knock it if you have not tried it. It's a pretty cool experience to drive at the limit, lap after the lap. The only down side (besides the risks of a crash) is that you burn through tires and brakes at an extremely high rate.

PS: my car is not one of the really fast super cars (I don't have the money to own and operate a super car), but it is not slow and I can easily pass the super cars when they are driven by people who lack the appropriate skill. The faster your car is, the better of a driver you need to be. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kj1hv51sg

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

No argument from me.

I wish there was some sort of tiered use restriction on them. I see far too many idiots who drive them as if they are weapons and only have a single passenger in them. While their use in business and rural areas make sense, they make no sense whatsoever for the vast majority of people I see drive them in Los Angeles.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you ever owned one, you wouldn't have to ask "why?":P

That being said, do you have proof that those vehicles are the cause?

Maybe it's the average untrained driver. Maybe it's the teen w/o experience. Maybe it's the tired soccer mom with 2.8 kids screaming in the back seat. Maybe it's the person on the phone. Maybe it's the ........

Again, it's the blame the inanimate object, not the person using it argument. [:/]

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Some of us drive our high performance cars at the limit where they were engineered to operate. Some of us drive our high performance cars on the race track.

Irrelevant.

The majority of Americans believe that access to objects which may lead to death must be controlled.

When 88 deaths from mass shootings in one year are a call to action, the 5000 annual non-occupant (like 3-4 Sandy Brooks every week of every year) deaths caused by motor vehicle drivers should be a call for over 50 times the action.

Starting with a ban on Suburban Assault Vehicles is a fine idea, where a Suburban Assault Vehicle has one or more of the following features:

1. Steering wheel or column mounted shift levers which facilitate high-speed operation
2. A high-capacity gas tank which can hold over 10 gallons to fuel sleep deprived cross-country trips
3. A military-style "trailer hitch" or chassis provisions to which one may be attached
4. Black paint which renders them less visible to law enforcement

or are included on a list (where examples would include the Porsche 911, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac Escalade, and Ford F350).

Members of the AAA should examine their consciences, do what's right for the children, and accept these reasonable restrictions as part of living in a civilized society.

There is NO NEED for fast cars.. They should be locked up with the on-board computer to go no faster then 70 mph... And in fact, The roadway should be embedded with censers to control the max speed allowed on that road.... I all so think that all cars must have a auto shut down if the driver changes lanes without the use of turn signals...

If you want to race at a off road track you must have training and pay a fee to the state to change the computer setting at the track...

And well we are at it.... There is NO NEED for gas guzzling 6 and 8 cylinder engines.... A four cylinder is all a person needs to get to work or what ever... ;)

Killler....

Every year in America there are 35,000 people killed in auto accidents, 200,000 incapacitated, and two million injured. Why does anyone need a car with 400 horsepower? Why does anyone need a car that will accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 6 seconds? Why does anyone need a car with a top speed of 150 mph? Why does anyone need a SUV that weighs 6,000 pounds? I think it's time to ban these dangerous high-capacity assault vehicles. Do it for the children. If it will save just one life, it will be worth it. I demand that the President immediately issue a series of executive orders to deal with this ongoing massacre.

I think you should have to pass a test and have a license in order to be able to own one, and then it should have to be registered.

Oh wait.....
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I think it's time to ban these dangerous high-capacity assault vehicles. Do it for the children. If it will save just one life, it will be worth it. I demand that the President immediately issue a series of executive orders to deal with this ongoing massacre.

Surely this is bunk? Unbelievable. Absolute ignorant train of thought. IMHO.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Within the next century (possibly sooner) I can see the human no longer in control of the vehicle they travel in. The computers will be in control. When that day arrives, it will be a sad day for the human spirit, for adventure, for the sheer joy of pushing yourself to your limit without going over that limit.

Well at least we got to live in the era where we still had some control of our destiny. I pity the fools who will live in the sanitized future who will be controlled by the state.

I think you should have to pass a test and have a license in order to be able to own one, and then it should have to be registered.

Oh wait.....

There's no problem with that when every one over 16 with acceptable vision can take the simple test, the license has a negligible cost, they can own any vehicle they can afford, and the license + registration are only required to use the vehicles in public in populated areas (off-highway vehicles like race cars and dune buggies are exempt from both requirements).

Trucks ( big trucks ) are already locked up by the companies here in the US... Canada ( New Brunswick ) all trucks must be locked up at 68 mph... they pull you over and walk up to the truck and plug their laptop in to the data port and write you a 500 dollar fine and you may not move the truck till you have a shop lock the truck up.... :S

Killler

Some of us operate our guns correctly and safely at the range, competition, hunting, and in the home. Never understood why everyone on the news or radio only thing a gun is used for one purpose.

What's gonna happen to 3 gun competitions, or other shooting events when everyone is like New York and restricted to 7 rounds.

"Anti-gun nut"/. You don't need 20 rounds to defend yourself

"Pro-gun nut". Ever hear of shooting competitions, or just having fun?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

There are a lot of parities that can be used to compare automobiles and firearms. A low horse powered car can kill when operated improperly just as a small caliber firearm can also kill when used improperly. Currently in society people can buy a high horse powered car and with little training they can drive their car on the public roads. How they drive their cars dictates whether they survive their experience. If they keep their high horse powered car well within the limits, their chances of survival are pretty good. It is however kind of a waste of horse power never to explore the limits of the car, but of course driving any car, let alone a super car at the limit on the public roads is just plain dumb. However for those who have an open mind and are willing to allow those who have more experience than you have teach and mentor you, you can to learn to drive your car at the limits in the controlled confines of the race track and you can become pretty good at it. Firearms are similar. Anyone can pull the trigger, but unless it is an emergency pulling the trigger in an uncontrolled environment is just plain dumb. But take the firearm to a controlled environment and let those who know more about the firearm teach and mentor you and you might actually get good at it and you yourself could in the future end up teaching and mentoring someone else.

On the public roads I only use about 25% of my car's potential. But since I do drive the car 99.99% at my limit on the race track and as long as I am paying attention, I know everything I need to know about how to control the car and the odds of me doing the right thing on the public roads in an emergency are much better than someone who has little to no track time under their belt. The same goes with firearms. There are no guarantees than someone with range time will do the right thing 100% of the time. But the odds of them doing the right thing in an emergency are much better if they have spent time on the range.

So we agree both can be used for work or for recreation, and can be deadly, but yours kills more people a year, and mine is under fire:)
This is my friend Brett. I have known him for 13 years, he drove home drunk from a golf event. He crossed the center line and killed SEVEN people in one car at one time. He lived.

Why was this not in the news all across the us? He killed more people than the guy in New York that shot the firefighters, and almost as many in the aurora theatre. Why are they not banning fast, or big vehicles, or enacting prohibition again?

http://www.wafb.com/story/18878859/brett-gerald-scheduled-to-appear-for-arraignment

Even tho he is my friend he is 100% in the wrong and will get whatever the justice system finds appropriate incase anyone wonders what I think.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Oh wait.....

There's no problem with that when every one over 16 with acceptable vision can take the simple test, the license has a negligible cost, they can own any vehicle they can afford, and the license + registration are only required to use the vehicles in public in populated areas (off-highway vehicles like race cars and dune buggies are exempt from both requirements).

So you have no issue with mandatory registration for any gun you will have in a public place, and having to sit a test to allow that? Awesome.

Many posters here would turn blue and their heads would explode if that was proposed.

And well we are at it.... There is NO NEED for gas guzzling 6 and 8 cylinder engines.... A four cylinder is all a person needs to get to work or what ever... ;)

Just for giggles, what should be a minimum mpg? 15, 20?

These days? 30 at least. (combined)

A light weight car with a 4 banger locked-up so you could only drive it as the computer controls speed and acceleration....:P 38mpg would not be out of line..

Killler...

But.... Just like there is a black market for tricks to unlock trucks... People would be re-programming the cars...;)

A light weight car with a 4 banger locked-up so you could only drive it as the computer controls speed and acceleration....:P 38mpg would not be out of line..

Killler...

I have no problem with people wanting small/lightweight cars. Mine fits that category. I do have a problem with those who want to arbitrarily reduce my ability to get out of a situation using maneuverability and speed.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

So we agree both can be used for work or for recreation, and can be deadly, but yours kills more people a year, and mine is under fire:)

I think it sucks the way the media has demonized the firearm and as long as you are not a criminal (I trust you are not) I support your right to own any firearm you want. I can't remember who it was, but several years ago I was debating someone here on the DorkZone about guns and I foolishly was taking the stance of saying "I don't think private citizens should own military assault rifles" and whoever it was they said something to me that hit close to home, They said "they learn to use and learned to respect appreciate their firearms in the military" and then I remembered I too spent sometime in the military (actually my military experience was likely more like boy scouts compared to some of the folks here) and I remembered getting a chance to shoot machine guns and learning the responsibility that went along with being able to fire these machine guns and my views on firearms instantly changed. I know it is rare, debating and having someone change their mind, but who says debating others on the DorkZone is a waste of time. ;)

PS: Sorry to hear about your friend, but you are doing the right thing saying he has what ever is coming his way. Losing one family member to a drunk driver is horrible. Hard to imagine what losing 7 would be like.

I do have a problem with those who want to arbitrarily reduce my ability to get out of a situation using maneuverability and speed.

That's why I refuse to drive cutback/locked up trucks...
I do not think it is safe... The truck I drive will do about 112mph... :o

When I was young and in my prime... I ran that truck 100 mph all the time... B|

I'm older now and turning gray and happy to run 70 all day...:)

Killler

In reply to
I think you should have to pass a test and have a license in order to own one,and then it should have to be registered.
oh wait.....

Right,like that has stopped the carnage.:D:D

I want a faster,more powerful parachute to put in the back of my assault suv
before there is a ban on them.

I'm constantly amazed at people who make comments about my bike being too powerful or too fast. I am confused by using those words together.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.