Skyrad

Murder rate London vs Chicago

So I found that the homicide rate is almost five times higher in Chicago than in London, looking at the following facts something quite disturbing appears to be wrong with Chicago.

Area
• London 1,570 km2 (607 sq mi)
• Chicago 2,122.8 sq mi (5,498 km2)

Population
• London 8,173,194
• Density 5,206/km2 (13,466/sq mi)

• Chicago 2,707,120
• Density 11,864.4/sq mi (4,447.4/km2)

Chicago homicide rate 2011, 435 homicides.
Chicago homicide rate 2012, 435 homicides.

London homicide rate 2011, 117 homicides.

I can't find the figures for 2012 yet but I doubt they have increased as the figures have been falling for ten years.

I believe there is a gun ban in both cities in some form. But I want to look further than the simplistic argument about availably of firearms, why is it that the figures for homicide in Chicago are almost five time higher than for London when the population is so much lower and the population so much smaller?
Is emergency medicine that much more accessible and better in London? Are people in Chicago that much more violent than in London? (I seriously doubt it).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-welcome-fall-in-london-murder-rate-7626656.html
http://rt.com/usa/news/chicago-murder-year-city-038/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/apr/07/london-murder-rate-falls-metropolitan-police
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

One of the least factors is whether or not there are gun 'bans' in place. The factor most contributing I think is the fact that there are simply far more guns in Chicago than in London, 'banned' or otherwise.

More guns simply means more instances where guns might and can be used.

Go find out how many guns of each type (long/handgun/etc) exist in each City and that will probably be telling.

More guns simply means more instances where guns might and can be used.

while this is true, it is also true that more guns does NOT mean more criminal uses

If I am wrong, then crimes commited with guns must be going up at a crazy rate right now and for the past few years
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

The American way of life. You can hardly compare a western European city to an American one. In London there is economic aid, free health care and access to more or less good education for more or less anybody.

You have: lots of Gangs, freely available guns and a wild west mentality. You think longer prison sentences bring down crime instead of reintegration, you think the death penalty deters murderers, you think a ridiculous war on drugs does anything but make drugs cheaper and more readily available and increases violence.

It's the whole every man for himself attitude you right wingers proclaim.

If you would indeed let the state help less fortunate people, give people from poor socio economic backgrounds a fair chance to start life. They may not join a gang, rob your house and murder you in the process.

And sometimes people need a push in the right direction. If you continue your "It's not my responsibility, I don't want to pay for some Ghetto Whores Crack Kid" Then that crack kid will probably grow up and kill somebody along the line.

edited to add:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/texas-judge-oks-ban-planned-parenthood-funding-article-1.1230888

I wonder if all those kids will grow up to be law abiding citizens.

It is not likely a direct proportional scale, no. But obviously, it is a factor.

There is nothing that would suggest what you said is true

Actually, there is evidence that indicates otherwise
Abraham Lincoln

Then what does the proportionately lower homicide rate in London mean? Wouldn't it imply even more guns available by that standard?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Then what does the proportionately lower homicide rate in London mean? Wouldn't it imply even more guns available by that standard?

Wendy P.

It does not mean anything as it is an apples and oranges comparison

The violence is about culture

Not about guns

The only way IMO to look at the number of guns vs violence is within a single culture

So, that comparison can only be done in the US (if that is the study group)

And it is very clear, that more guns does not equate to more gun crime
If it did, the funeral homes could not keep up

In Chicago, where guns are still effectively banned (for the most part) shooting are daily

New Years day for example
11 shooting with one fatality
Abraham Lincoln

It's the whole every man for himself attitude you right wingers proclaim.

If you would indeed let the state help less fortunate people, give people from poor socio economic backgrounds a fair chance to start life. They may not join a gang, rob your house and murder you in the process.

And sometimes people need a push in the right direction. If you continue your "It's not my responsibility, I don't want to pay for some Ghetto Whores Crack Kid" Then that crack kid will probably grow up and kill somebody along the line.

Well that make a change from being called a liberal Brit I guess:S Also I hadn't realised that I had the power to make changes on another continent, sure I'm learning a lot today.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

So I found that the homicide rate is almost five times higher in Chicago than in London, looking at the following facts something quite disturbing appears to be wrong with Chicago.

Area

Population
• London 8,173,194

• Chicago 2,707,120

I can't find the figures for 2012 yet but I doubt they have increased as the figures have been falling for ten years.

I believe there is a gun ban in both cities in some form. But I want to look further than the simplistic argument about availably of firearms, why is it that the figures for homicide in Chicago are almost five time higher than for London when the population is so much lower and the population so much smaller?
Is emergency medicine that much more accessible and better in London? Are people in Chicago that much more violent than in London? (I seriously doubt it).

1. Chicago's gun ban was overturned June 2010.

2. It's always been trivially easy to get a gun in Chicago - just drive 20 miles to a suburb, go to a gun shop, buy the gun, drive 20 miles back to the city. (There are 2 gun shops within 2 miles of my house in the suburbs.)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Area

Population
• London 8,173,194

• Chicago 2,707,120

1. Chicago's gun ban was overturned June 2010.

2. It's always been trivially easy to get a gun in Chicago - just drive 20 miles to a suburb, go to a gun shop, buy the gun, drive 20 miles back to the city. (There are 2 gun shops within 2 miles of my house in the suburbs.)

As you pointed out in another post, most of Chicago's murders are gang and drug related. You don't see those people lined up at suburban gun stores filling out paperwork to puchase guns. The last thing that type of scum wants is a gun that can be traced back to them. Assuming that they could even pass the check, or that a store would even want to sell to them. They acquire their guns from theft or other criminals. Shame there isn't a bounty on them like we used to have with coyotes down here. Would make for an improved quaility of life for you and the rest of the law abiding citizens of Chicago.

Chicago was the #5 ranked city in the country for segregation. The school system is terrible and people are very poor. Knowing people who lived in the city for a long time the basic rule of thumb was "stay out of the 'bad' neighborhoods because they are dangerous and the cops can't do much about it"

It's a cesspool of problems that most people don't care to even think about.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

You are comparing two polar opposite cultures.

One desperately pursues a way of non conflict and politeness.

The other. . . Well you have heard the term Chicago politics, right?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

LMAO!! Guess you've never lived in London.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

As you pointed out in another post, most of Chicago's murders are gang and drug related. You don't see those people lined up at suburban gun stores filling out paperwork to puchase guns. The last thing that type of scum wants is a gun that can be traced back to them.

So where do the majority of illegal guns come from?

Chicago was the #5 ranked city in the country for segregation. The school system is terrible and people are very poor. Knowing people who lived in the city for a long time the basic rule of thumb was "stay out of the 'bad' neighborhoods because they are dangerous and the cops can't do much about it"

The segregation point, I think, bears some consideration. Here’s an analysis of six months of murders in Chicago (Jan. 2011 – June, 2011).
http://crimeinchicago.blogspot.com/2011/08/chicago-murder-victims-and-offenders-by.html

It’s a problem primarily with blacks. Secondarily with Hispanics. Whites aren’t getting killed much, and are killing even less.

I cannot help but find some racial thing. They are just blacks and Hispanics getting killed, you know? Gang bangers. Other dark-skinned disposable elements of society. They’re keeping in their own neighborhoods, and the housing projects are their fenced in domains. (The efforts to secure the housing projects made them somewhat like fortresses and they are being torn down).

I do think that murders in Chicago are a cultural issue. A subcultural issue, even. Unfortunately, it’s tough to get rid of it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Area

Population
• London 8,173,194

• Chicago 2,707,120

1. Chicago's gun ban was overturned June 2010. and they still can't get guns because of the bs requirments put in place. so nothing really changed so you can stop that lie

So gun bans dont work

Go figure
Abraham Lincoln

I think kallend is making the point that a local gun ban won’t work. In order to have an effective ban in Chicago there must be a ban in outlying communities. In order for that to work, the state must ban guns. For that to work, neighboring states also must ban them. For that to work the US has to ban them. For that to work…

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The segregation point, I think, bears some consideration. Here’s an analysis of six months of murders in Chicago (Jan. 2011 – June, 2011).
http://crimeinchicago.blogspot.com/2011/08/chicago-murder-victims-and-offenders-by.html

It’s a problem primarily with blacks. Secondarily with Hispanics. Whites aren’t getting killed much, and are killing even less.

I cannot help but find some racial thing. They are just blacks and Hispanics getting killed, you know? Gang bangers. Other dark-skinned disposable elements of society. They’re keeping in their own neighborhoods, and the housing projects are their fenced in domains. (The efforts to secure the housing projects made them somewhat like fortresses and they are being torn down).

I do think that murders in Chicago are a cultural issue. A subcultural issue, even. Unfortunately, it’s tough to get rid of it.

Most of the people I know also pretty much go with "it's just gang bangers killin each other in the hood so who cares" and subsequently there isn't a huge push to fix the problem.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

It is not likely a direct proportional scale, no. But obviously, it is a factor.

Except for your statement "while this is true, ..."

Except for your statement "while this is true, ..."

Now you want to pars sentences

Nice

Again

What empirical evidence there is, debunks your position
Abraham Lincoln

Area

Population
• London 8,173,194

• Chicago 2,707,120

Something disturbing appears to be wrong with your maths!;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You are comparing two polar opposite cultures.

The other. . . Well you have heard the term Chicago politics, right?

"Politics ain't beanbag"; Finley Peter Dunne.

Area

Population
• London 8,173,194

• Chicago 2,707,120

1. Chicago's gun ban was overturned June 2010. and they still can't get guns because of the bs requirments put in place. so nothing really changed so you can stop that lie

So gun bans dont work

Go figure

They don't if you can simply drive 15 miles to get around them. Non-uniform laws are a big part of the problem.