CarpeDiem3

Americans clinging to their guns

Headline: Black Friday Gun Sales Hit New Record High

Quote: "Black Friday gun sales hit an all time record high last week with demand for new firearms so overwhelming that it caused outages at the FBI background check center on two separate occasions. Fueled by fears that the Obama administration will go after gun rights during a lame duck term, the FBI reported 154,873 background check requests on Friday..."

http://www.infowars.com/black-friday-gun-sales-hit-new-record-high/

Obama was correct - right wingers are doing a whole lot of clinging to their guns.

Obama was correct - right wingers are doing a whole lot of clinging to their guns.

Well when the guy says he wants to take them away it makes perfect sense.... Just like how people had a run on twinkies.

Personally, I bought an M1Garand, an AR lower, and a Ruger LCP. I also bought 100 AR mags.

If a ban does get passed, I have plenty of Mags and if the price gets high enough I'll make a killing.

I did not, however, buy any twinkies.

Not so much taking them away as in confiscating them, but in the last debate he did say he wanted a renewed assault weapons ban. Effectively taking away any NEW assault weapons.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

Quote: "Black Friday gun sales hit an all time record high last week with demand for new firearms so overwhelming that it caused outages at the FBI background check center on two separate occasions. Fueled by fears that the Obama administration will go after gun rights during a lame duck term, the FBI reported 154,873 background check requests on Friday..."

I do not, have not, and never will cling to a gun.

I hold it firmly with my dominant hand as my non-dominant hand provides support (long gun) or rearward pressure (pistol). Although, I will admit that I once had a new AR15 and my wife was unaware I put it in the bed beside me the first night...but there was no cuddling. :-)
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

but in the last debate he did say he wanted a renewed assault weapons ban

That's certainly a form of gun control, but it doesn't equate to taking everyone's guns away. And it seems to me that Romney agreed with him during that debate??? (I don't recall exactly what was said.)

Most of my friends and family who are freaking about "Obama taking their guns away" - I don't think they even own assault weapons. And most of them are right-wingers (or at least rather loud about hating Obama). A lot of my friends and family who are not right-wingers own just as many guns as the others, but they don't seem to be worrying about having their guns taken away.

I do not, have not, and never will cling to a gun.

I hold it firmly with my dominant hand as my non-dominant hand provides support (long gun) or rearward pressure (pistol). Although, I will admit that I once had a new AR15 and my wife was unaware I put it in the bed beside me the first night...but there was no cuddling. :-)

LOL, nice one:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

but in the last debate he did say he wanted a renewed assault weapons ban

That's certainly a form of gun control, but it doesn't equate to taking everyone's guns away. And it seems to me that Romney agreed with him during that debate??? (I don't recall exactly what was said.)

Most of my friends and family who are freaking about "Obama taking their guns away" - I don't think they even own assault weapons. And most of them are right-wingers (or at least rather loud about hating Obama). A lot of my friends and family who are not right-wingers own just as many guns as the others, but they don't seem to be worrying about having their guns taken away.

Agreed. They are some tinfoil-hat-wearing people. I did say he said "Not so much taking them away as in confiscating... but renewing the AWB" which would limit or stop new manufacture of said weapons and hi-cap mags, effectively taking away new weapons and limiting the market to what's out there already. Fortunately, they aren't consumables like Twinkies!

I don't personally believe a confiscation or across the board ban on guns will ever happen. I do believe there will be a second revolution before that ever happens. I do slightly worry about the increased taxes or new taxes on ammo, reloading supplies (esp. powder and primers, the things that go bang) and things like magazines.

I don't own what I consider "assault weapons", i.e. something I'm going to take up and lay siege to anything. I do own an AR-15, but am knowledgeable enough to know the AR moniker originally stands for "Armalite Rifle" and not assault rifle... No class-3 full autos in my possession.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

I don't own what I consider "assault weapons", i.e. something I'm going to take up and lay siege to anything. I do own an AR-15, but am knowledgeable enough to know the AR moniker originally stands for "Armalite Rifle" and not assault rifle... No class-3 full autos in my possession.

It doesn't matter what YOU consider an assault weapon to be. It's how the government classifies them that counts. And Obama considers your AR to be an assault rifle. So just keep right on telling yourself it's safe, 'cause that'll make it easier for Obama to send his lawmen to come get it from you, and others that think like you. And society will be better off for it, while you stumble around in a confused daze mumbling; "But, it's not technically an assault weapon!"

It doesn't matter what YOU consider an assault weapon to be. It's how the government classifies them that counts. And Obama considers your AR to be an assault rifle. So just keep right on telling yourself it's safe, 'cause that'll make it easier for Obama to send his lawmen to come get it from you, and others that think like you. And society will be better off for it, while you stumble around in a confused daze mumbling; "But, it's not technically an assault weapon!"

Oh, so the "gun nuts" are right, the Gov IS coming for their legally owned, and rightfully possessed property, that is theirs as a right of birth, and guaranteed by the US Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

"But, it's not technically an assault weapon!"

According to your understanding, what is the legal definition of an assault weapon? (when it occurs to you that you don't know, and that you've just been using the term, feel free to google, cut & paste so you have something you can claim to understand)
--
Rob

According to your understanding, what is the legal definition of an assault weapon?

Whatever the government says it is.

so you don't personally have an understanding of what you would like to see removed from the public. That's what I take from that statement in response to my question.
--
Rob

According to your understanding, what is the legal definition of an assault weapon?

so you don't personally have an understanding of what you would like to see removed from the public. That's what I take from that statement in response to my question.

Because he, like most, do not know where term came from or what it ACTUALLY means.

But as he is just trolling, and has no real point, it is all fun for him.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

>I did not, however, buy any twinkies.

Well, there's your problem right there.

Funny story... Have you had a twinkie recently? A bunch of us were going to have a cookout that night after the DZ. Naturally we started talking about food that day and the subject of twinkies came up... As part of a munchies segment.

We all had to bring something to these parties. At the time I was single, so my food duties for these parties was always something I could buy at the store (I once stopped and got pizzas for an Italian themed party). So being cute I decided to buy a big bulk pack of twinkies for the party. When I unveiled them... The whole group was excited about them and we spent most of the night talking about how great we remember them being.

At the end of the dinner we broke out the twinkies with great anticipation.... Uh, they sucked. Every single person thought they tasted terrible.

I guess:
1. We found out the real reason Hostess went under.
2. Memories often taste better than reality.

What exactly did Obama say about taking guns away?

Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced" -Barack Obama, October 16, 2012

While not 'taking them away' it is preventing ownership.

Obama’s writing was on the 1996 document, which was filed when Obama was running for the Illinois state Senate. A Chicago nonprofit, Independent Voters of Illinois, had this question, and Obama took hard line:

35. Do you support state legislation to:
a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.
b. ban assault weapons? Yes.

You can claim that this also is not 'taking away'. But it is another ban and how exactly do you think they would ban the 'possession' of a handgun? if not take it away?

Q: When you were in the state senate, you talked about licensing and registering gun owners. Would you do that as president?

A: I don’t think that we can get that done. 2008 Democratic debate in Las Vegas , Jan 15, 2008

Notice he said "I don't think we can get that done" not that he disagrees with it. Registration sounds harmless... Except it has been used several times to confiscate. It happened in Australia, it happened in NY, and it happened in CA.

“I didn’t find that [vote] surprising. I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry. " From Promise to Power, by David Mendell, p.250-251 , Aug 14, 2007

I and many others have a CWP/CHL. Removing that right would be taking it away, yes not guns but a right none the less.

OBAMA: Let’s be honest. Mr. Keyes does not believe in common gun control measures like the assault weapons bill. Mr. Keyes does not believe in any limits from what I can tell with respect to the possession of guns, including assault weapons that have only one purpose, to kill people. I think it is a scandal that this president did not authorize a renewal of the assault weapons ban. : Illinois Senate Debate #3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes , Oct 21, 2004

Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:
Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.

Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test , Jul 2, 1998

In addition:
* Early in the 2008 election, Senator Obama stated that he supported the DC gun ban

* After the election and before assuming office, President-Elect Obama met with Mexican President Calderon. The campaign released a statement that stated that the administration would do what it could to curtail weapons flowing to Mexico which sounded like they were supporting an assault weapons ban. This belief was confirmed a few months later when Attorney General Eric Holder was discussing border security and confirmed that the administration supported an assault weapons ban.

That release: "Well, as President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons. I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum"

* In July of 2009, President Obama responded to the mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado by stating that AK-47s and similar weapons belonged in the hands of soldiers and not in the hands of criminals and on an battlefield rather than the street

* In July of 2011, the Justice Department issued new rules outside of law to require gun store to report sales of more than one rifle to one person, provided the caliber for those rifles is more than .22. The new rules applied only to border states along the border with Mexico

* In September 2007, the US Senate voted on an amendment submitted by Senator Vitter of Louisiana. The amendment sought to prohibit the use of funds by international organizations, agencies, and entities that require the registration of, or taxes guns owned by citizens of the United States. The amendment got the support of almost all Republicans and about 2/3 of the Democrats to pass in a 81-10 vote. Barack Obama cast a "No Vote"

* Proposes Banning Gun Stores Within 5 mi. of Schools & Parks - December 13, 1999

* Supports 500% Tax Increase on Guns & Ammo - December 13, 1999

* Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Prohibits the knowing manufacture, delivery, and possession of semiautomatic assault weapons, large capacity ammunition feeding devices, and assault weapon attachments.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=1195&GAID=3&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=4124&SessionID=3&GA=93

* Obama is proposing to make it a felony for a gun owner whose firearm was stolen from his residence which causes harm to another person. http://nraila.org/media/9913983/chicagodefender.pdf

I could go on....Obama has a pretty constant track record saying he wants to ban weapons and not allow CHL/CWP. Now he has not acted on it, but I think that can be best explained by his answer in the 2008 debate: "I don’t think that we can get that done".

But it is pretty clear what he would like to do for anyone that has paid attention to his comments. It is just common sense to think he would do what he has said he wants to do if he thinks he can get it done.

Because he, like most, do not know where term came from or what it ACTUALLY means.

But as he is just trolling, and has no real point, it is all fun for him.

Matt

Here's some more fun, Gun nut meets physics geek.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.