airdvr

Could you be fully vetted for politics?

I know there are enough bones in my closet that I'd never get out of the first pass.

I was contemplating who would even want to be POTUS. On the Dem side they have to be young enough and have spent no time in DC. On the Rep side a Mormon :S
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Seriously, any diligent vetting team would eliminate anyone who shows the poor judgement inherent in participating in as bombastic a political forum as this one.

They would probably have some slight issues with the whole skydiving thing, too...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

They would probably have some slight issues with the whole skydiving thing, too...

Considering this go 'round some candidates have made an issue out of what games their opponents play. Yeah.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

No one with a life (outside of political ambition) could.

One of the reasons we get the kind of worthless "leadership" options. Zero defect, never having taken any chances or stepped outside the lines mentalities.

I wouldn't follow any modern politician into a bar (they wouldnt be any fun) much less anywhere my life depended on it.

Absolutely. :D

I think if politicians would just throw all of their baggage out in the open up front, a lot of it wouldn't be a big deal. I mean, Obama openly admitted to doing things that have been considered scandalous for other politicians in the past. It seems that Clinton's "I didn't inhale" was given much more attention than Obama's little school gang of stoners.

I had a friend who applied for a deputy position in E. Texas. He said he answered all the questions truthfully.
Did you ever use marijuana?
Did you ever use cocaine?
Did you ever drive while intoxicated?
etc.

He didn't get the job, but he did pass the lie detector test :D

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've never been vetted.

But one of my dogs has been and both cats. ;)

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Depends on what you mean. If you mean have we ever done anything that would upset somebody's sensitivities, then the answer is yes for EVERYBODY.

So in that sense, nobody vetts out as acceptable to all. But that is not important.

If your intent is to ask if we would make a successful politician, or what it takes to make one, here's your answer:

What makes for a successful politician is having better shit on all the people that have shit on you.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

At one point a candidate could never admit to smoking pot. Then you could, but just not inhaling. Now doing lines of coke doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

I think the bar will be continually lowered to what was accepted behavior (somewhat) at the time