Anvilbrother

Donald Trump big announcement about Obama

So what will it be? That he was a cocaine dealer in college, birth certificate, divorce papers?

Not saying any of it will be or not be credible.

Trump is a media whore. But we all knew this. Though I too wonder what this announcement will be. I do like watching the speculation though. http://www.latimes.com "Donald Trump's big reveal: Obama an alien or wears a wig?"
Makes for funny news (at least in the short term)
--
Rob

And... he offers $5 Million dollars for the release of college transcripts and passport applications. Media Whore of the highest level and a waste of time for anyone to consider what he thinks anymore.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-president-obama-5m-offer-article-1.1191067

What's wrong with asking for those papers? Obama first campaigned to be the most transparent president in history even offering to have White House affairs aired n cspan so the public can "be part of the conversation"

It seems like pretty harmless papers to release as long as your not hiding anything!

Obama must hate charities /whatever that black guys name was that said bush hates black people.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Agreed I think he should release them. We also now know that Obama has the same investments(china) as Romney as of the second debate.

Also it pisses me off when Obama says Romney pays a lower rate now than most workers. That's because he already paid taxes on that money, the rate he pays now is the rate he is being taxed again! Add it all up and I bet his final tax rate on a dollar he made till the time he spends it is higher than most.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Also it pisses me off when Obama says Romney pays a lower rate now than most workers. That's because he already paid taxes on that money, the rate he pays now is the rate he is being taxed again! Add it all up and I bet his final tax rate on a dollar he made till the time he spends it is higher than most.

uh, no, absolutely false. Like most hedgies, his income at Bain was classified as investment capital gains, not income, and thus it is taxed at 15%. The purported reasoning is that they are putting their money at risk, but the reality is that in most cases, the risk is less than that of treasuries. This special treatment is very hard to justify as fair. In any event, there's no doubt that this money was taxed at half the rate my marginal income is.

When you fast forward to now, he is paying capital gains taxes on the realized gains, not the base, so it is not being "taxed again" either. All of it gets taxed at 15% (next year may be a different story).

Ok so 15%. Did he do that legally or illegally?
If legally that option to do the same thing exists in all Americans, why would anyone get pissy because they diddnt get as many jelly beans as their friends did?

Don't hate the player hate the game. If I found a way to pay lower but legal taxes I would too, we are getting ass raped to pay for the entitlement race as it is.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadlec/2012/08/20/mitt-romney-paid-30-not-13-in-federal-income-taxes/

The second and most important reason is the majority of the Romneys’ income is taxed twice – first at the corporate level, and a second time when they report it on their personal income tax return.

Formed says your also wrong as far as I can tell

Is Romney still keeping most of his tax records secret? Those "seem like pretty harmless papers to release as long as your not hiding anything! "

Blues,
Dave

He's waiting on Soros's charity offer. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

The most ridiculous part of the whole deal:

"Essentially a large portion of American people are asking me to serve as their spokesperson"

What a megalomaniac.

You are being kind
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Ok so 15%. Did he do that legally or illegally?
If legally that option to do the same thing exists in all Americans, why would anyone get pissy because they diddnt get as many jelly beans as their friends did?

You're playing 3 different games here
1) ok, he paid a lower marginal rate, but it was legal, so my misstatement earlier doesn't count
2) no, he paid more than most even at 13.9%
3) double taxation is unfair! He actually paid 30%

Let's start with 3 - money gets taxed repeatedly all over the place. The Forbes columnist uses this ploy to say that corporate taxes were actually taxes that Romney paid, thus he was taxed at 30% of his income. Pathetic is the right word for this. Lying is another.

And this notion of double taxation concerned less than half of his income - dividends and interest income were 3.3 and 4.8 of the 21+ million. The same double taxation arguments apply to everyone else.

2) 13.9 is more only when you ignore payroll taxes that everyone pays. Since 40-50% of taxpayers pay no income tax in any given year, of course he could claim to pay less than most. But it's hardly an honest claim. My marginal rate was 33% last year.

1) no one said he was breaking the law. That doesn't mean this special treatment is anything but a gift to the financial sector. I support favorable rates on dividends and LT capital gains, btw.

That doesn't mean this special treatment is anything but a gift to the financial sector.

special treatment abounds everywhere

progressive tax structures
penalties
exceptions
exemptions
mortgage deductions
child care deductions
educational deductions

ad nauseum

a little hypothetical math:

Guy makes $100K and is taxed at 30%
He takes $30K in various deductions - tax on $70K = $21K
He has to pay an accountant. Politicians get tons of contributions and votes from the ignorant and not so ignorant for putting in all these deductions and exemptions and credits, etc etc etc

alternatively:
Guy makes $100K and is taxed at 21% with no special perks - tax = $21K (oh crap - the math does work, it's revenue neutral)

the left screams bloody murder - "OH MY GOD, you gave RICH Guy a 9% tax reduction - you're a racist and a sexist creep"

the right screams bloody murder - "OH MY GOD, you took away all the TAX BREAKS that encourage small businesses - you hate the little guy just wanting a home and a business"

REALITY - politicians lose power because they don't have any special freebies to hand out. And a few accountants lose some business.

no way a simple tax code will ever work

.......but I digress - what were we talking about?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

That doesn't mean this special treatment is anything but a gift to the financial sector.

special treatment abounds everywhere

progressive tax structures
penalties
exceptions
exemptions
mortgage deductions
child care deductions
educational deductions

oh, lots of special treatments exist, but all of those have justifications with at least some merit. Home ownership is good, having children is good, educated workers are good.

The hedge manager's wish to pay less taxes just because he doesn't want to pay as much in taxes has no justification at all. He's generally collecting 2 and 20, and that 2 percent of AUM has no risk at all.

Not really.

“Bottom line,” said Eric Toder co-director of the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center, “if you look at income taxes only, Obama’s statement is not true for most Americans. If you add in payroll taxes, however, it is probably true for lots of people.”

No matter how you slice it, Toder said, Romney’s tax rate is very low for someone with his level of income. The average income tax rate for the top 0.1 percent (which is where Romney falls) is 23.6 percent.

Romney's federal income tax rate is CONSIDERABLY lower than mine.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.