SkydiveJonathan

Watch: Cops Harass, Grope, and Threaten Teenager “For Being a F*cking Mutt"

Two things,:

1. Most cops are good. They joined the force to help people. It's a shame that a lot of their good work goes unnoticed.

2. There are a few cops out there that joined for the power trip. Next time you see a bad cop and they refuse to fire him, thank a liberal. When you give bad cops guaranteed employment and collective bargaining rights, well, you deserve what you get.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Yup - and I've run into asshole (bankers, engineers, doctors, cops, hell pick race and really make the point, etc). I guess I should just treat everybody crappy.

People are over the top about this because only 1 exposure to a single bad cop gets under their skin, but multiple encounters with the good guys doesn't seem to stick. For that matter, a good cop giving some self righteous assholes will still result in the asshole claiming the cop was out of line even when he wasn't - it's human nature. Sucks for all the good cops out there.

But I'll still assume a cop is a good guy until he, as THAT INDIVIDUAL, proves otherwise. But I won't put them ALL in that bucket. But that goes for everyone - doesn't matter what their job is.

That's why these blanket statements about cops really just reflect an ignorant and childish bias.

This. I know many of the cops on the force in my (small) town. They are dedicated, professional and fair-minded. The training sergeant is one of the nicest, most laid-back cops I've ever known (and I've known more that a few).

And I live in a sort of "interesting" neighborhood. There's been a few neighbors who have had the cops at their house, and a couple who seemed to have them there once a week. One in particular had her sister living with her, and the sister had a "love-hate" relationship with her boyfriend. The cops were there a lot. I was talking to the sane sister last week after a different neighbor had the cops come by to "discuss" a domestic. The sane sister agreed that the cops were really professional and nice to her, but she knew perfectly well that she was now that house and that the cops knew who she was.

The cops have always been professional and courteous to me. If I am outside when they are there, or if I come home and they are there, I will usually wait until they are clearly not in the middle of something, idenify myself and where I live, and ask if this is "anything I need to worry about." The usual answer is "no", but every once in a while they will ask a specific question about the neighbor that they are dealing with.

I've also run into a few who were jerks. Full of themselves and their power and authority. But they tend to be the minority.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Bit of a generalisation isn't it, bit like lumping all Iranians in with the Mullahs.

Well said ..... I was "in the job' for over 11 years. In those years I obviously worked with 100s of Police officers. 98 per cent were good decent people. 2 per cent were arseholes but you get that every where.(except Dzs LOL)(most of those 2 per cent did not last long) Squeak will not agree but most join for the right reasons. Why did i leave ? Its such a high pressure job I found 11 years enough (its not like you see on TV) Now do security for the Police and govt buildings.

There is now more accountability than ever before with camersa etc. Even tasers have a camera that records as soon as drawn from the holster. I always found most people supported the cops until it affected them ie ticket for speeding etc.

Then you were an arswhole for doing your job (or ass whole in USA speak)

Believe it or not plenty of skydivers are in the job
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

>So the police can call you a 'pig' or any other name they can think of and you can't answer back?

You can do whatever you like. The place you spend the next few hours will be determined by what you say and how you say it. Your choice.

Personally, I'd prefer to have my cellphone camera running while he was calling me a pig, with me saying "I'm sorry you feel that way officer" - then mail the file to his commanding officer.

>I have no respect for police because I have had them tell me flat out that they were
>not going to enforce the law.

I've had skydivers tell me flat out they didn't care if they posed a safety threat to me or my wife. Even had one of them pull right under me after having that talk. (You've probably had a similar experience.) But most skydivers aren't like that, so I judge them on a case by case basis.

Same thing with cops. Most seem like pretty good people. A few are assholes. Just like any other occupation.

Bit of a generalisation isn't it, bit like lumping all Iranians in with the Mullahs.

Well said ..... I was "in the job' for over 11 years. In those years I obviously worked with 100s of Police officers. 98 per cent were good decent people. 2 per cent were arseholes but you get that every where.(except Dzs LOL)(most of those 2 per cent did not last long) Squeak will not agree but most join for the right reasons. Why did i leave ? Its such a high pressure job I found 11 years enough (its not like you see on TV) Now do security for the Police and govt buildings.

There is now more accountability than ever before with camersa etc. Even tasers have a camera that records as soon as drawn from the holster. I always found most people supported the cops until it affected them ie ticket for speeding etc.

It is the same world wide irrelevant of the culture of the nation because the Police are recruited from the wider community and therefore are a microcosm of the society they Police, and every society has its heroes, ordinary people and a sprinkling of arses.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.commondreams.org/further/2012/10/15-1

Surveillance video caught two NYPD officers in Brooklyn as they beat the crap out of a young shirtless guy at a Jewish youth center - who had permission to be there - for sleeping and declining to get arrested, after which eight more beefy officers joined in. Warning: graphic.

So the police can call you a 'pig' or any other name they can think of and you can't answer back?

Maybe, the officer has an eye for the obvious!? To bundle all law enforcement officers under one category because of the actions of a small number of officers is totally ignorant and absolutely lacking in common sense.

Chuck

So the police can call you a 'pig' or any other name they can think of and you can't answer back?

Maybe, the officer has an eye for the obvious!? To bundle all law enforcement officers under one category because of the actions of a small number of officers is totally ignorant and absolutely lacking in common sense.

Chuck

I wouldn't call 10 on 1 a small number.

Chuck

You're twisting things again... nothing new there!! I was talking about ALL law enforcement officers compared to a very, very few bad cops. Your generalities don't hold water. Trying to make one incident look like the way all cops are is just silly. That's what you are trying to do and I'm not buying it.

Chuck

Chuck

You're twisting things again... nothing new there!! I was talking about ALL law enforcement officers compared to a very, very few bad cops. Your generalities don't hold water. Trying to make one incident look like the way all cops are is just silly. That's what you are trying to do and I'm not buying it.

Chuck

This is two 'incidents' out of many hundreds.

Chuck

Chuck

Name 'em!! Along with frequency of incidences. You want to bunch-up all cops as 'bad' show us the proof. An incident here or there does not cover all cops.

Chuck

It is the same world wide irrelevant of the culture of the nation because the Police are recruited from the wider community and therefore are a microcosm of the society they Police, and every society has its heroes, ordinary people and a sprinkling of arses.

Hillsborough...

Chuck

Chuck

Name 'em!! Along with frequency of incidences. You want to bunch-up all cops as 'bad' show us the proof. An incident here or there does not cover all cops.

Chuck

Hundreds does though...

Chuck

Chuck

Chuck

Hundreds does though...

Hundreds of what? Just the old 'duck and dodge' routine, again. I should've known.

Have a nice day!

Chuck

No but the stop and frisk policy encourages the type of incidents that you see here. If there were ZERO stop and frisks, then no one could be innocently stopped and therefore no one could be called a 'mutt' because the incident would not occur.

Government has brought in a policy, 700K stops for little or no good reasons, cops have power, and power corrupts. I doubt there is just 'one bad cop' with an attitude and I expect as the policy continues, the incidents like this will increase, not suddenly go away.

I have no idea why the ACLU, and other similar agencies and individuals have not sued the government out of existence of this. It should have been in front of the Supreme Court already - even though it already was in 1960-whenever, but what is happening is a gross over-statement of the rulings.

Government has brought in a policy, 700K stops for little or no good reasons, cops have power, and power corrupts. I doubt there is just 'one bad cop' with an attitude and I expect as the policy continues, the incidents like this will increase, not suddenly go away.

This is on point. The issue is not whether cops are good people or bad people. There are some of both here, as with every walk of life. However the way the job is structured and the enormous amount of power and protection given to police officers encourage abuses and bullying, which them becomes systematically enmeshed in cultures.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I have lost all respect for cops.

Have you "lost all respect for cops" or have you lost respect for ALL cops?

I am a police officer. I was the LAST person you would of picked from my high school class to EVER be a cop. I was a knuckle head and going down the wrong path. Wisely, I decided to straighten my shit out and the best way to do it seemed like joining the military. That was before September 11, 2001. That day not only did I feel the shock as every American did, but I also knew I was about to embark on what can only be described as HELL.

Now I wasn't so smart when I joined the Army. Instead of being a medic, or mechanic, or any other job where I actually would have been able to get a good career after my service, I was clueless as to what I wanted to do. When I was deciding on my MOS (job) for the Army I was asked "Well combat or non-combat?" As a young 20 yr. old I wanted action right, I mean combat sounded exciting, non-combat sounded boring. In my ignorance I wasn't expecting to actually have to go to combat. Most of America was asleep so to speak before 9/11. So was I. I said "I want a job where I get to blow shit up!" My recruiter showed me a video of EOD, explosive ordinance disposal, ya know bomb squad. I said "I think you misunderstood me sir, I don't want to blow myself up. I want to blow other shit up!" The next video I saw was of a Forward Observer. Now this job entails being out on the front line, or sometimes even behind enemy lines, using binoculars to call in and adjust indirect fire like artillery, mortars, close air support, naval gun fire, etc. I said " Now that looks badass!" So off I went and signed the papers.

After my time in combat in Iraq I wanted out. 10 people from my battalion were KIA. I had an IED go off right in front of my Humvee. I had been shot at. I had shot back. It was too much. I finished my tour and recieved my honorable discharge. I was married and couldn't really afford 4+ years of college. I had to get a house, get a full time job to pay for it, support my wife, etc. What do I do?

Law enforcement was the only thing I could come up with. Besides I could continue to serve my country, and still have the comradery, the two things I would miss the most. For the first time in my life the military gave me a sense of pride, and I liked that. I wanted to do something I could still be proud doing.

One thing I want you to understand is it isn't about wether we should have been in Iraq. We didn't have a choice. We did our jobs. We didn't fight for country, mom or dad, the American way, or apple pie. We fought for each other. The men to your left and to your right. People can say they fight for our freedom, and all that crap all they want, but when the metal hits the meat, trust me we fought for survival and to keep are brothers alive.

I have been on the police force for 5 years now. It pains me to hear your comments. It enrages me to hear that recording of those dirty cops. They should lose their badges. Some of us really do protect and serve. In my little town we have a program where we call or stop by and check on the elderly daily. We provide vacation checks on peoples homes when they are away. We have drugs and weapons collections where we ask NO questions, and we get good turn outs from the community. I receieved a life saving award from applying pressure to a gunshot wound until paramedics arrived. I had experience with that from Iraq. I also talked a suicidal subject with Bi-polar disorder into going to the hospital to get help instead of blowing his head off.

Yes part of my job is writing traffic tickets. Yes I arrest people that have or are commiting crimes. This is usually a "negative" interaction with these individuals from their perspective that I don't really enjoy having to do, but it is a necessary part of the job. I try to remain professional and respectful, EVEN when I am being disrespected.

Everything I do is recorded on camera, and by body microphone. I guaruntee if I did violate someone's rights my department would NOT cover for me. I would be hung out to dry without a job, and probably brought up on charges. The officer from my department that got caught lying on a report was.

There are bad apples in every bunch. No more so in law enforcement than anywhere else. Yes there are power hungry assholes that abuse their authority. I bet you probably have had a boss like that to. It just gets highlighted more in a group of individuals that are intrusted with the power and authority that cops are, and rightfully so. We should be held to a higher standard.

There are cops out there that refuse to stick up for those bad apples. I am one of them. They should be sued for civil rights violations, and brought up on assault charges.

There is a legit reason for a Terry Frisk, however the officer must have reasonable suspicion of a crime or that the subject may be armed. From the video it appears the NYPD is abusing this in my opinion. Quotas are illegal for a reason. A department does have the need to enforce certain performance standards. You wouldn't want your tax paying dollars to be paying for some fatass to hang out at the gas station eating donuts all night would you? However, you can clearly see in the video from the testimony of the officers that this is being pressured onto them, and it is clearly a violation of rights to stop someone for no reason. Now gang flags, suspected narcotic transactions, etc are a valid reason to assume crime is aloof, and may justify a stop.

I wish you would realize that there are a lot of cops out there that are good people. People with a strong code of ethics. People that do not abuse their power and won't stand for the ones that do. I have found a couple of videos of some "good" cops I posted links to. Maybe it will help you to realize we aren't all assholes.

http://youtu.be/e-LnyNgXIx8

http://youtu.be/otOmIMiQXQI

http://youtu.be/vyS7Qr58wkU

and here is one doing the right thing

http://youtu.be/2w8Nyp5DkN4

Those bad cops are part of the reason why I may choose to leave this career and skydive professionally full time. The other part is people with your attitude that don't appreciate and thank the good ones that are doing a demanding, stressful, and very necessary job for low pay. I am just trying to build my experience up and get all of my ratings in hopes of finding one of the big year round 7 days a week DZ's that will give me a chance to live the dream. Unitl then, I will keep doing my job the best I can and stay true to my oath.
I am an asshole, but I am honest

I'm not sure you want to hear this, but I really hope you remain as a police officer in at least some capacity. You're exactly what we need in police officers.

Funny how knowing one can make a difference in one's perception of people in nearly any profession; I'd say that law enforcement is probably one of the ones where it makes a huge difference (unless, of course, you meet one of the assholes).

Thanks for an honest, from-the-heart post.

Also, I loved your description of the careful thought and planning (typical of 20-year-olds) that went into your decision to go into your MOS :D

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks Wendy.

I really hope you remain as a police officer

Gary Peek was telling me this the other day. Not so much because he thinks I am a good cop, but because he thinks I would be unhappy skydiving full time. I think he is nuts lol :S
I am an asshole, but I am honest

but because he thinks I would be unhappy skydiving full time. I think he is nuts lol :S

1 - you sound like a great cop - we need them, there are plenty of them, but still, the good ones are great to have around

2 - Gary might know what he's talking about - turning your hobby into your job can backfire - it might just become your job

(I LOVE teaching AFF - but I'm grateful for the full timers when it's late, or the weather is crappy, or there isn't much work to be had that day, etc, etc, etc, etc. They work their asses off, I just fill in when it's busy and that's just fine.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants