kallend

ACA upheld

Just once I'd love to see people stop being so fucking childish.
You are the king.

What makes you think I listen to or read that drivel?

Some of us have opinions. Ones that don't require insults and condescension to express.

You could try it sometime.

Yet I doubt it.

I am glad to see that the Affordable Care Cat was upheld:

http://affordablecarecat.com/

:)

I don't want to be forced to buy anything, even if it it actually does personally benefits me...and I suppose it does.

I can only imagine the additional intrusion into my life given the "tax" aspects of the plan...

Were can I go to just be left alone? Certainly not the land of the free...

I'm guessing you either didn't read my link, or you don't like cats? :P

Just once I'd love to see people stop being so fucking childish.
You are the king.

What makes you think I listen to or read that drivel?

Some of us have opinions. Ones that don't require insults and condescension to express.

You could try it sometime.

Yet I doubt it.

The posts you've made in this thread strongly suggest that you haven't actually tried to find out what is in the ACA and have swallowed the GOP propaganda without doing any research of your own to see if its true or a tissue of lies.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So you liked the program when you thought it was a mandate, and even more now that it's a tax? Even if it costs Barry the election?

Same thing, -(-1) = +1

No different than the tax implications of buying a home with a mortgage. Or buying energy star stuff.

The posts you've made in this thread strongly suggest you're immature in a conversation when it disagrees with your preference.
I've not swallowed anything. I have no party affiliation.

Took a lot longer to see you return to the mind reader role that I would have expected.

I'm not a looney with a healthcare plan.

I read lots of stuff.

I don't mind helping the people that really need it, but it's all the druggies and smokers that know the risk, and continue to be extremely unhealthy. It's these people I don't want to pay for.
I'm rather..."ok" with this new system, just as long as they refuse continuous drug abusers and smokers. If you can afford drugs and cigarettes, then you can afford health insurance.

Kind of how they have made it mandatory for people to take a drug tests applying for food stamps. If you can afford drugs you can afford food. Yet, people are pissed about this.

Sometimes you gotta just let your kid touch the stove. If you hold there hand for too long then they wont know how to take care of themselves. Look at Paris Hilton, didn't even know how to tie a freakin shoe lace.

I don't mind helping the people that really need it, but it's all the druggies and smokers that know the risk, and continue to be extremely unhealthy. It's these people I don't want to pay for.
I'm rather..."ok" with this new system, just as long as they refuse continuous drug abusers and smokers. If you can afford drugs and cigarettes, then you can afford health insurance.

Skydivers too. And no BASE jumpers, even if they do pay for health insurance.

(follow your statement to a very obvious next step)

It's a little different then that though, cause with skydiving, it's only as much of a guaranteed risk as driving your car down the road.
Like Rook Nelson said, "If you walk up to the road, look left, and look right, then cross, it can be a pretty safe sport."

Whereas drugs/cigarettes do permanent damage every use. Not to mention the second hand smoke that kills 50,000 a year.

It's a little different then that though, cause with skydiving, it's only as much of a guaranteed risk as driving your car down the road.
Like Rook Nelson said, "If you walk up to the road, look left, and look right, then cross, it can be a pretty safe sport."

don't kid yourself. 1 in 1000 die every year. That's 7-8x the rate for driving deaths (and half of those are cause by alcohol). But since we're talking about health care costs, keep a count of how often you see someone at the DZ (or here) on crutches or who has titanium in their body. Substantial injuries are very common to the sport, and this is a (somewhat) youth oriented sport with people that normally are extremely cheap to insure because they don't have serious illness. We're the sport that turned "femur" into a verb.

It's even worse for the Basers, who don't have the luxury of high openings, reserve chutes for minor mals, and (generally) wide open LZs.

The smokers will be a bit less healthy, but the costly problems and deaths don't show up until much further down the road - 30-50 years in. Meanwhile they've been paying into SS and MC and 1/3rd of them die early. Viewed purely from a dollar standpoint, that's not so terrible.

The drinkers and the obese are doing much more damage. Getting in crashes young, getting diabetes now in their teens....all sorts of continuous costs and then they start getting the heart attacks in their 40s, really drive up the costs. The smokers are still doing alright (though those who smoke and eat poorly get a super whammie of bad and expensive health).

But still, one bad crash (I had mine on a motorcycle) can run into 6 figures at a time when you're paying $100/month in. If you really want us to start looking for the expensive subpopulations to weed out for cost control, we're pretty fucking high up on that list. Not the highest, no, but THE EASIEST to kick out. Why are smokers now getting hit with taxes to pay for child care? Because they're down to 20% of the population - easy targets. Beer drinkers or McDonald's lovers? That's a majority - can't fuck with them - they are the voters. Skydivers are a 1 in 10000 crowd - less under 1%. They are easy pickings.

I'd advise staying well clear.

Whereas drugs/cigarettes do permanent damage every use. Not to mention the second hand smoke that kills 50,000 a year.

You're already paying for healthcare for uninsured druggies, smokers, and fat bastards. It's just the hidden cost due to EMTALA, but sure as hell are paying it.

You're already paying for healthcare for uninsured druggies, smokers, and fat bastards. It's just the hidden cost due to EMTALA, but sure as hell are paying it.

Maybe they should have repealed that law ans started fresh then.

Oh well, crap is crap, we get what we elect.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

So you liked the program when you thought it was a mandate, and even more now that it's a tax? Even if it costs Barry the election?

You think Romneycare will cost Obama the election?

Nope. I think being able to pin a large tax on Barry will be good ammo for Mitt.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I think being able to pin a large tax on Barry will be good ammo for Mitt.

I think the people who will be upset about some minor squabbling point of semantics are the people who weren't going to vote for him anyway.

What you have to look at are not the 30% of the extreme right or the 30% of the extreme left, but the folks in the middle. I don't think the majority of them give a flying fuck what it's called by anyone.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What you have to look at are not the 30% of the extreme right or the 30% of the extreme left, but the folks in the middle. I don't think the majority of them give a flying fuck what it's called by anyone.

well, when and if they start paying it, they will care. But it's still this futuristic notion as they keep extending the Bush tax cuts, so how much can it actually hurt, among as you say, voters that actually are up for grabs.

You think Romneycare will cost Obama the election?

Nope. I think being able to pin a large tax on Barry will be good ammo for Mitt.

Why are you so supportive of freeloaders who game the system so responsible people pay for their healthcare? Are you a freeloader?

well, when and if they start paying it, they will care. But it's still this futuristic notion as they keep extending the Bush tax cuts, so how much can it actually hurt, among as you say, voters that actually are up for grabs.

WHO gets to pay the tax? Not responsible folk who already have health insurance. It won't affect the vast majority.

Maybe they should have repealed that law ans started fresh then.

Right - and when the first person dies after being turned away from the ER because they didn't have their insurance card on them, the uproar will guarantee a new EMTALA is passed.

Oh well, crap is crap, we get what we elect.

Matt

EMTALA was signed into law by Saint Ronald Reagan (R).

So when are you going to tell us how much extra tax you'll be paying as a result of this "largest ever" tax increase that you claim?

When are you going to tell us why some freeloaders are more dirt to you than others

As for the tax?

I see by your response that since it does not affect you you do not give a fuck

(although I am sure that is not true)
But I am sure it will cost me a bunch

But then I am not as rich as you so there is a different perspective

C'mon Marc, you regurgitated Rush Limbaugh's line about this being the biggest tax increase in the history of the world.

So tell us how much of this tax on freeloaders you'll be paying?

TALLAHASSEE --
Florida Gov. Rick Scott is saying Florida will do nothing to comply with President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.

Scott recently said he would follow the law if it were upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court. But he went on national television on Friday night and said Florida will not take any steps to help carry out the overhaul.

And you guys don't think ACA is a boon to the lawyers. Give me a break. This law puts ambulance chasing on the super highway. Injury and liability will be redefined in many, many ways.

I'll bet Andy9o8 is shopping for a new Mercedes and new jump gear as we speak.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

And kallend - what are your thoughts on my proposition that the government encourages freeloading? Wouldn't the problem be solved if we simply said, "We're not covering you any more?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, when the law was like that it caused a whole lot of problems, so enlightened people (including St. Ronald Reagan, beloved patron saint of Republicans) decided that was a REALLY BAD IDEA. And they were right.

"We found that because of federal law, federal law requires that hospitals treat people whether or not they can pay. So someone (who) doesn’t have health insurance -- they can go to the hospital and get free care. And we found a growing number of people were dropping their insurance and going to the hospital if they got real sick." Mitt Romney, 2011

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) signed into law by St. Ronald Reagan, 1986

So you agree that the government encourages freeloading? I'm not getting a clear answer.

And yes, patient dumping was becoming a problem. Patient dumping was, um, getting rid of the freeloaders, right? And so what was a problem before has morphed changed into the massive problem because of the response to governmental solution.

so enlightened people

I'm glad you appreciate the religious aspect behind this. Those who agree are enlightened saints. Those who did not decide it was a really bad idea are ignorant sinners.

Well stated! You have gone from the argument of "freeloading bad" to "enlightenment means covering freeloaders." Which is my point. This system does not end freeloading. The ACA RATIFIES freeloading and enables it by establishing the funding of freeloaders.

My wife is hotter than your wife.