davjohns

Have we totally lost it?

(Newser) – Move over, Jon and Kate. Time to retire, Duggar family. Because Desmond Hatchett has you all beat—he has 30 children, courtesy of 11 different women. And as the 33-year-old Tennessee man earns just minimum wage, he's asking the courts to give him a break on his child support payments, reports Yahoo!'s Sideshow blog. But with so many children, some of his babymamas get as little as $1.49 per month, so the court doesn't have a ton of room to help him. After getting in legal trouble for not paying support in 2009, Hatchett, who then had 21 children, promised a court that he would stop having children. He apparently hasn't tried very hard, and has since upped his count by nine.

http://www.newser.com/story/146358/guy-wants-a-break-on-child-support-for-30-kids.html

This was on the local news.

I'm at a loss.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

It's extreme cases like this where the guy should have a vasectomy done. Forced even, if he balks. It's only $300 at the very least. Compare that to how much child support he is supposed to be paying for those 30 kids. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Way about the women who continued to hop in bed with him without using protection? Don't they bare at least half of the irresponsibility? Why is it always the fault of the male?

Billy suggested the guy get a vasectomy. I think he would also agree that the women should get fixed. I don't think anyone suggested it was only the fault of the male. I would bet large sums of money that the 11 women have children by other men as well. I would bet large sums of money that tax dollars are going to support this debacle. That's why I'm at a loss.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I don't think Billy meant it quite as serious as all that. Forced sterilization would never pass constitutional muster.

However, it does beg the question of public financing of private behavior. If we are funding this as I suspect...

I don't know. There is no perfect solution. I just think our society makes it too easy for this behavior to go on. Maybe if eleven dads knew they could beat this guy black and blue without criminal charges, he would keep it in his pants. Maybe if these eleven women knew they would not receive government support for the children, they would keep their legs crossed. Maybe if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their asses all the time.

I just think our society makes it too easy for this behavior to go on.

This is the goal! Relieving one of being responsible for ones actions is the goal! You nailed it

Society is responsible so the gov has to take care of it.

Look at abortion, unemployment, Medicare, medicade, food stamps, pre-school programs, and the list goes on

For the ultimate goal
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

What does society do with the people who don't behave responsibly? Yeah, you can punish them.

Do we let the children starve to punish him and the babymamas? (think of the children).

This is a case where removal of the children to foster homes might be called for, just so that we don't have to pay the parents any more. That's more expensive than simply paying the mamas welfare, though. Are we trying to save money, or punish these ridiculous parents?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What does society do with the people who don't behave responsibly? Yeah, you can punish them.

Do we let the children starve to punish him and the babymamas? (think of the children).

This is a case where removal of the children to foster homes might be called for, just so that we don't have to pay the parents any more. That's more expensive than simply paying the mamas welfare, though. Are we trying to save money, or punish these ridiculous parents?

Wendy P.

Where did I say any of this Wendy?

There does need to be a safety net

We dont need programs that promote sloth however.

Seems I make a good point when someone has to refute using extremes to make their own point
Abraham Lincoln

This guy is an extreme. How do we get him to stop this shit without resorting to extremes, or hurting the kids?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

This guy is an extreme. How do we get him to stop this shit without resorting to extremes, or hurting the kids?

Wendy P.

Who is extreme and hurting kids?
Abraham Lincoln

better educate the women that seem so prone to hooking up with this loser? Or simple sex education and funding to that Devil's Org, Planned Parenthood?

Anyone find a picture of the guy? Is he the hottest man alive, to manage his exploits?

He's not bad-looking (just do a google search), but dang. Yeah, educating women is good. Making work mandatory if you have enough kids (with the state providing day care) is also probably a good idea. I'm sure we can find a kitchen or something somewhere to provide a job.

The upside to providing daycare is that the parent then gets less influence over the kids. In this case, that's probably a good thing.

As far as him, dang. In the early 1900's they imprisoned Typhoid Mary to keep her from infecting people. Huge violation of civil rights, but so is a typhoid carrier who is only willing to work in food preparation.

Wendy P.

(Newser) – Move over, Jon and Kate. Time to retire, Duggar family. Because Desmond Hatchett has you all beat—he has 30 children, courtesy of 11 different women. And as the 33-year-old Tennessee man earns just minimum wage, he's asking the courts to give him a break on his child support payments, reports Yahoo!'s Sideshow blog. But with so many children, some of his babymamas get as little as $1.49 per month, so the court doesn't have a ton of room to help him. After getting in legal trouble for not paying support in 2009, Hatchett, who then had 21 children, promised a court that he would stop having children. He apparently hasn't tried very hard, and has since upped his count by nine.

http://www.newser.com/story/146358/guy-wants-a-break-on-child-support-for-30-kids.html

This was on the local news.

I'm at a loss.

If you love them, spay them.

I am all for withholding welfare, afdc, food stamps, etc. from any and all personnel capable of reproducing. That includes the kids.

If babymama has spawned a brood she is entirely unable to support, you have overshot sustainability by 1+offspring. Providing for REVERSIBLE sterilization would preclude further proliferation.

If you cannot afford the procedure to reverse the sterilization during your childbearing years trust me, you can't afford kids.

If you are so principled that you will forego any and all public assistance in the interest of having all the kids that are likely to be yours, that's great - it leaves more for others.

Of course, this kind of policy would never pass, and I cringe to think of how it would shape up in practice if it did , but the reality is that unchecked breeding of unaffordable offspring is symptomatic of our ongoing downfall.

Since the system is demonstrably out of control, and we are already way behind the power curve, it is safe to say we are hosed.

BSBD,

Winsor

I think we should not only provide sex education in schools, I think we should pass out birth control as well.

Wendy P.

Maybe if these eleven women knew they would not receive government support for the children, they would keep their legs crossed.

Some might, some wouldn't.

What happens then?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

That's my concern. How do we put pressure on the parents without harming the children?

the thing isn this story is no information on how the kids are actually doing. He's black so everyone jumps to the conclusion that there are 30 poor black kids on welfare roles. The story was about HIS financial woes.....not theirs.

For all anyone knows, they may be all the kids of working family moms with some future.

I thought this was a free country. We should not base policy on extreme cases like this, and as far as forced vasectomies, well.....so much for a free country.....welcome to Nazi Germany.

I'm not sure we were basing anything on his race. I'm pretty much assuming that intelligent, hard working women would run from this guy.

And I don't know that anyone is suggesting policy based on this guy. It seems to me we are mostly at a loss as to how to handle stuff like this without doing wrong by someone elsewhere.

You seem to be spoiling for an argument.

again, my personal experience, here in Florida in the past week, outside the forum - a lot of hillbilly rednecks here directly referred to race regarding this story. Hard to believe I know that racist people exist, especially here in Florida.....