jclalor

Phoenix school forfeits game due to female player

I would not allow my child to be on a team that would not play against, or play with people just because of race

So that begs two questions

1) would you support Pious X for refusing to play against a team because it has black players?
2) would you prevent your child from being on a team that won't play against a team because it has girls on it?

BTW, whould cheer on a 6'8" 240lb male playing of a girls basketball team just so he might get to play more?

the marked (more than nearly any other physical attribute) difference in jumping ability between the genders will probably keep these as single gender team sports for a long time.

I would not allow my child to be on a team that would not play against, or play with people just because of race

So that begs two questions

1) would you support Pious X for refusing to play against a team because it has black players? ?
2) would you prevent your child from being on a team that won't play against a team because it has girls on it? no

BTW, whould cheer on a 6'8" 240lb male playing of a girls basketball team just so he might get to play more?

the marked (more than nearly any other physical attribute) difference in jumping ability between the genders will probably keep these as single gender team sports for a long time.

Females are wrestling agains boys in high school

I think here in Iowa

Many will not compete against her

(she only beat one boy. How would like that to be your child BTW)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Which one, the boy or the girl?

There you go trying to think again
Abraham Lincoln

Rush, I beat a guy in my grade arm-wrestling once. Neither of us died, either of mortification or anything else. We're both successful now. There are worse things in life than being beaten by a stronger girl.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Rush, I beat a guy in my grade arm-wrestling once. Neither of us died, either of mortification or anything else. We're both successful now. There are worse things in life than being beaten by a stronger girl.

Wendy P.

Some of us might even enjoy it

However

I doubt that would be the case in wrestling for a high school boy

You?
Abraham Lincoln

I would be proud of my son if he gave it his best. If he isn't the greatest wrestler, but enjoys the activity, that would be ok with me.

Sounds like you would be rather upset with your son. To each their own I guess.

I would be proud of my son if he gave it his best. If he isn't the greatest wrestler, but enjoys the activity, that would be ok with me.

Sounds like you would be rather upset with your son. To each their own I guess.

I would be just a proud as you

However, I dont think my boy would have done it to begin with but, it would have been his call

I would not have allowed my daughter to wrestle to begin with (if I had a daughter)

My point was more aimed at what would happen with his peers
Abraham Lincoln

I realize that the worst possible thing in the entire world (Meso, we need a sarcasm icon!!!) is for a boy to be beaten at something physical by a girl. That's why one of the things that coaches and drill sargeants say to guys to make them feel like wimps is calling them girls.

As a (ahem) girl, I've always found this kind of offensive. Making one of the worst pejorative names, something that I am every single day of my life isn't what I'd call flattering [:/]

But hey -- at least I'm not a homo :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What I do not understand is, why, women
(girls) insist on playing on men's (boy's teams) and men (boys) insist on playing on women's (girl's) teams? Women wanting to join Mens organizations like Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and so-on. There are women's hard-ball and soft-ball leagues and women's organizations. What is so wrong with all men or all women sports leagues or organizations?
Sometimes, men like to go where there are no women! :o

Chuck

This is stupid.

Using kids and their sports to accomplish a political goal is what is cowardly.

The so called adults would do better by putting their energy toward raising their children better.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I like the story as it is.

The girl sat out two games out ofrespect for the other team's beliefs. That was an outstanding display of respect

"Sultzbach told the Arizona Republic that she felt put down by being asked to sit out those first two meetings".

What I do not understand is, why, women
(girls) insist on playing on men's (boy's teams) and men (boys) insist on playing on women's (girl's) teams? Women wanting to join Mens organizations like Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and so-on. There are women's hard-ball and soft-ball leagues and women's organizations. What is so wrong with all men or all women sports leagues or organizations?
Sometimes, men like to go where there are no women! :o

Her high school offered no softball. I bet the guys would have had no problem playing against her, unfortnatley, the decision was probably made by a Priest.(In 2012):S

In 50 years, people wil look back at such things and just shake their heads.

Ah well. Thanks to many of the people who have posted here and all of the garbage around this issue, I hate baseball again. Organized sports in general...especially for kids...... because the adults always seem to make it no fun for anyone. The first story I read seemed to show some kids that learned how to be better people... tolerant and respectful. I have to quit being so optimistic.

Please return to your highly intellectual game of 'did not, did too'.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

waiting for an opposing team to forfeit rather than play the boy. This district appears to have a process for determination. It may be an subjective one, but it wasn't made by a single or tiny group.

Would it be courageous if a school run by the KKK refused to play against teams that had blacks, Jews, or Catholics?

Now THAT would be an interesting league. There would be no games played but we'd probably enjoy the pre-game rituals.
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

So if your child was on a team that did not allow blacks, and would not play any games against blacks, you'd be right there cheering the team on?

Well, Bill...obviously if his kid was on the team then he knew of the policy beforehand, yes. Maybe you are assuming that maybe he didn't know beforehand and it was sprung on him as a surprise at the last second.

Nice insertion of the race card, though. Next comes the Nazi reference?

I'm content to say that in a public (or private for that matter) league, that sexism or racism are invalid reasons. Doesn't serve their own boys very well - the real world beckons and in college, close to 60% of them are women.

You can take racism out of your argument. It doesn't apply here and it's all to obvious that you are playing to emotion as opposed to intellect.

Are you sure that 60% of this school's enrollment are women? No? Then national averages, if that's what you mean, doesn't apply here.

It's exactly the same thing.

OK. You think so, I do not agree.

They wouldn't play because their (fucked up) beliefs

OK. You've expressed your opinion that their beliefs to be fucked up. Opinion, you are welcome to it.

Now perhaps these boys will continue to hide from the real world and go to seminary, thus never having to deal with actual women as equals.

Again, opinion. Fortunately the world doesn't operate based on your opinions.

Let's clear up a few things
1- PC's date sticker expired in the early 90s. ...

What's clear is that you don't know about the effects of PC in today's world.

Title IX would mandate that the league have an equally funded softball league, not that boys and girls play together.

What's also clear is that you don't understand Title IX.

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance"

And there are exceptions. Pertinent to this discussion is this exception:
" this section shall not apply to any educational institution which is controlled by a religious organization if the application of this subsection would not be consistent with the religious tenets of such organization;"

In this case, allowing her to try out for the baseball team is the sound solution.

She did, She earned a spot. Where's the beef?

So you are welcome to your opinion. There are other realities going on here. Thanks.

What's clear is that you don't know about the effects of PC in today's world.

I live in San Francisco, ffs. Don't try to lecture me on the realities of this non existent boogeyman. If it existed, this is the fucking nexus point.

And there are exceptions. Pertinent to this discussion is this exception:
" this section shall not apply to any educational institution which is controlled by a religious organization if the application of this subsection would not be consistent with the religious tenets of such organization;"

The girl did not attend the religious school that claimed God wouldn't allow them to play vs girls. She attended the other one. Fail.

So you are welcome to your opinion. There are other realities going on here. Thanks.

You mean to say there are other opinions being hurled here. Your opinion is in no way reality.

why is sexism less offensive than racism? Are women less deserving of fair treatment?

I don't think it is less offensive, but I also don't think they are equal.

What is offensive in racism is the thought that men of different races cannot be eachother equal or that women of different races cannot be eachother's equal.

Men and women simply are not equal, which makes sexism different, IMHO.

Food for thought....
So, the other team played them twice? Without the girl? So, come championship time, the coach throws up the girl knowing the other team will forfeit and thereby snagging a championship for his resume'.
I can see it. You 'd love that, eh?

Alternately, the girl agreed to sit out on the other team's field, for games that weren't especially important, but she wasn't willing to sit out the championship game, that she'd earn her spot in, just because the other team disapproved of her genitalia.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

just because the other team disapproved of her genitalia.

I'm sure they approved just fine. In this case, just not for soccer

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants