wayneflorida

You are the Juror. George Zimmerman trial

I certainly hope not on the "public backlash" (i.e. Riots) but I dint want someone going to prison for a political reason either. But, if that does happen, and they do "backlash", here's hoping they burn their own neighborhoods first.

So if he's found guilty a lot of trendy 4-bedroom homes in gated communities will go up in flames?

Not at all.

When a watershed case goes against them, members of Group A riot.

Should the same case go against them, members of Group B write letters to the Editor.

I certainly hope not on the "public backlash" (i.e. Riots) but I dint want someone going to prison for a political reason either. But, if that does happen, and they do "backlash", here's hoping they burn their own neighborhoods first.

So if he's found guilty a lot of trendy 4-bedroom homes in gated communities will go up in flames?

Not at all.

When a watershed case goes against them, members of Group A riot.

Should the same case go against them, members of Group B write letters to the Editor.

Not if they have a bellyful of Merlot in them. Then they might start throwing their quiche against the walls in blind rage at being habitually profiled by the police for DWP (driving while pale).

Involuntary manslaughter, however, would be pretty much a slam dunk.

I agree fully. 2nd degree murder seems like a stretch. I think they have a much better chance of getting a conviction for I.M. If only prosecutors would take politics out of the criminal courtroom. [:/]

Interesting paragraph here about "lesser included offense":

Use in jury proceedings

In criminal jury trials, the court is permitted (but not required) to instruct jurors that they can find the defendant guilty of the most serious crime charged, or of a lesser included offense of that crime (in English law, this is termed an alternative verdict). In murder cases, however, where a convicted defendant may face capital punishment, the Supreme Court has held that the court must instruct the jury that they may find the defendant guilty of a lesser included offense such as voluntary manslaughter.[1] The reasoning for this ruling is that jurors given the options of convicting a less culpable killer or letting him go free might opt to convict of a more serious crime than the facts warrant. Therefore, they must have at least one option that falls in between these extremes.

In the case where the jury has the option of convicting a defendant accused of a violation of law where there is a lesser included offense, if the jury acquits the defendant of the more serious offense but is otherwise unable to reach a verdict (i.e., is hung) on the lesser included offense, the defendant may be retried if the prosecutor chooses to do so, but only for the lesser included offense. If the jury finds the defendant not guilty of the lesser included offense, there would be no need to make a determination on the more serious offense as acquittal of a lesser included offense automatically constitutes acquittal of the more serious offense.

Not if they have a bellyful of Merlot in them. Then they might start throwing their quiche against the walls in blind rage at being habitually profiled by the police for DWP (driving while pale).

"No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any fucking Merlot!":D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

you forgot the third choice in your poll:

"I might have to hear the evidence and sworn testimony before I make my decision"

"I'd make a terrific juror, since I can spot guilty people just like that." George Carlin on how to get out of jury duty.

This is absolutely the wrong time to ask this; and you're also basing it on the wrong factors. The right time is at the end of trial, after all the evidence is in, not before the trial, based on legal-whuffo news reports. Now if you preemptively deem that to be a cop out,that's just too bad.

What????
One can poll anything at any time.
One can poll based on anything at all.
Take it for what it is...not for what you think it should be.
Start your own poll at a time YOU think appropriate and based on whatever foundation YOU choose.
We'll vote in that one too.
Sheesh
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Bullshit. It's a public opinion poll. We are "allowed" to have them at anytime to gauge what people think of this case. We don't need your permission.

Andy has it right. This isn't a public opinion pool - the question was prefaced with being a juror. It might be somewhat reasonable to ask this question in this manner at the end of the case when it goes to deliberations - most of the evidence will be known to the public. But even then it's filtered by reporting, and not all may be in open court.

Read my post to Andy908
*rolling eyes*

With all the motions that will be, "motioned", the Jury will not get all the "real" evidence either.

Matt

You just ruined Kallend's sleep for the next ten years.
:D:D

"No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any fucking Merlot!":D

Wait a minute right there.....you just blew all respect.
:D:D:P

This is absolutely the wrong time to ask this; and you're also basing it on the wrong factors. The right time is at the end of trial, after all the evidence is in, not before the trial, based on legal-whuffo news reports. Now if you preemptively deem that to be a cop out,that's just too bad.

What????
One can poll anything at any time.
One can poll based on anything at all.
Take it for what it is...not for what you think it should be.
Start your own poll at a time YOU think appropriate and based on whatever foundation YOU choose.
We'll vote in that one too.
Sheesh

Be prepared to be called a Tiger.

Bullshit. It's a public opinion poll. We are "allowed" to have them at anytime to gauge what people think of this case. We don't need your permission.

Andy has it right. This isn't a public opinion pool - the question was prefaced with being a juror. It might be somewhat reasonable to ask this question in this manner at the end of the case when it goes to deliberations - most of the evidence will be known to the public. But even then it's filtered by reporting, and not all may be in open court.

Read my post to Andy908
*rolling eyes*

Read Kelp's post to Gravitytiger
*rolling eyes*
Oops- read it again.
*rolling eyes*

You're 4 days late to that thread tangent, but we make allowances for the crotchety. ;)

Read my post to Andy908
*rolling eyes*

Read Kelp's post to Gravitymistress
*rolling eyes*
Oops- read it again.
*rolling eyes*

Oh, my, he called me a name. Very mature of you Andy.

And we still don't need your permission to start public opinion polls. This isn't a courtroom in case that fact has escaped you.

I dunno - with the questions they asked them...lots of gun supporters, a woman that told her kids this case shows what happens when you're out late at night (in defense of Zimmerman apparently)....and then add the "bad black kid" evidence that may still come into play.

I'm still thinking this has appeal all over it if it does go down, given this case was brought to trial on a push from the POTUS on down. This is not the normal legal process. He received that until the rallies started.

As residents of the city this happened in and is being tried in, we're paying attention.

Iago

***The fun starts Monday!

So the 6 person jury is all women.
Very rare from what they're saying.

He's cooked.

There is no way the prosecution is going to be able to prove 2nd degree murder.

However, with only women on the jury the prosecution is going to be tuggin those heart strings and playing to their emotions about this poor woman that lost her little boy in a tragic shooting that never should have happened if it wasn't for this man sitting over here.

That emotional play is going to get them a conviction regardless of the evidence presented in the trial.

I know plenty of women in FL that would acquit GZ without second thought.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.