normiss

Irresponsible gun owner!

I'm probably going to be in the minority saying this but, the guy being a cop shouldn't even be an issue. Why did the media report that? To sensationalize the story? If the guy was a janitor or a doctor, I doubt they would have mentioned his career.

The guy should not be held to a higher standard just because he is cop. ALL gun owners should be held to the highest level. Not especially cops, everyone.

cops should be held to a higher standard. They have greater freedom in where they can carry, unholster, brandish, and what types of guns they can buy. They also have a greater responsibility to train and maintain skills given their greater likelihood to use their firearms.

If the guy was a janitor or a doctor, I doubt they would have mentioned his career.

Here in Fresno, a guy who was a gun safety instructor got 270 days of probation after his 2 year-old son got a .45 Springfield semi-auto handgun from under the master bed and put a round into the step-sister, killing her in May, 2011. The fact that Dubois was a gun safety instructor made this a bigger story - and even more tragic, in my mind - because he knew better. (Note: he was arrested for a probation violation in September of last year for having ammo in his house. Sure, it was likely left behind after he turned over all 53 guns he had and may have just missed those rounds. He was sentenced last month, spent a couple of days in jail and was released).

Cops are people who should know better. They DO know better. That's why a cop is mentioned. That's why Dubois got so much press here - he knew better.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

"cops should be held to a higher standard. They have greater freedom in where they can carry, unholster, brandish, and what types of guns they can buy."

This. The idiot left a loaded weapon in the car w/young kids who knew it was there... Had John Q Public done that? He'd end up in prison for years.

Stoopid damn cop!

I have to wonder if he'll be fired and charged.

It pretty much happens on a daily basis, children pay a high price for our right to own guns, hundreds are killed and maimed every year.

“It's just an awful tragedy,” said Stanwood resident Mike Ofstad. “I'm amazed it could happen in a small town like this but I suppose it could happen anywhere"

Evidently, Gun safety is only a big city concern.

It pretty much happens on a daily basis, children pay a high price for our right to own guns, hundreds are killed and maimed every year.

Any loss of a child is tragic, however firearm related deaths appear to be a lot farther down the list than one might suspect from the attention the fair & balanced liberal media tends to portray it.

http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcaus10_us.html

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Cops are people who should know better. They DO know better. That's why a cop is mentioned. That's why Dubois got so much press here - he knew better.

Very sad story you mentioned. Although I agree with your above statement, I also extend that to everybody, not just cops. I believe ANYBODY who chooses to possess firearms should know better.

Any loss of a child is tragic, however firearm related deaths appear to be a lot farther down the list than one might suspect from the attention the fair & balanced liberal media tends to portray it.

http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcaus10_us.html

137 children killed in 2008 by Gun accidents in my oppinion, is not a small number

I'm a gun owner myself, I'm just saying that children pay a high price for that right to own guns.

137 children killed in 2008 by Gun accidents in my oppinion, is not a small number

it's an infinitely large number when you know one of them. But viewed less emotionally, it's noise in the ~4000 accidental deaths per year for children (0-14). The deaths and injuries caused by parents refusing to vaccinate their children rings much louder.

it's an infinitely large number when you know one of them. But viewed less emotionally, it's noise in the ~4000 accidental deaths per year for children (0-14). The deaths and injuries caused by parents refusing to vaccinate their children rings much louder.

You won't find anyone more of a proponent of vaccinations than me, but in the interest of accurcay, I seriously doubt more children die or are sickened by not being vaccinated or exposed to children who has not been vaccinated than by accidental gun deaths.

137 children killed in 2008 by Gun accidents in my opinion, is not a small number

Agreed, putting it into perspective...187 deaths 18 and under firearms related ~ that's 0.00006% of the total population.

Yet it's front page news every time, drownings, child neglect and preventable disease, much higher %'s are page 9.

All are tragic without question, I just wonder about the uneven coverage and the motivation.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>I'm probably going to be in the minority saying this but, the guy being a cop
>shouldn't even be an issue. Why did the media report that?

Because cops are trained on how to safely use guns. (In theory anyway.)

>If the guy was a janitor or a doctor, I doubt they would have mentioned his career.

Agreed. But if the guy had knowingly let his kid drink contaminated water, and he died, they probably would mention it - because doctors, theoretically, should be more aware of the dangers of contaminated water.

He was trained, and he fucked up. You can even SEE the fuckup if you know what to look for.
Incidently, this guy sued the DEA and his fellow officers for releasing this video and "permanently damaging" his career - as if shooting himself in front of a classroom of 5th graders didnt do that already.

He won [:/]

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

You won't find anyone more of a proponent of vaccinations than me, but in the interest of accurcay, I seriously doubt more children die or are sickened by not being vaccinated or exposed to children who has not been vaccinated than by accidental gun deaths.

same source lists 391 deaths per year over 5 year span for childen 0-14 due to influenza + pneumonia. And we know that whooping cough have been growing again in the past few years. Vaccines would help. And for the classic diseases, we probably have not yet got to the point where the herd effect dissapates, but we're (stupid parents) are trying their best. So this is a growing problem, whereas accidental gun deaths remains a insignificant (in the whole, not the individual case, as I noted) part of life. 3% of a single cause of death (accidental) means you have bigger fish to fry. Unless political motivated, which despite your protests as a gun owner, you clearly are.

same source lists 391 deaths per year over 5 year span for childen 0-14 due to influenza + pneumonia. And we know that whooping cough have been growing again in the past few years. Vaccines would help. And for the classic diseases, we probably have not yet got to the point where the herd effect dissapates, but we're (stupid parents) are trying their best. So this is a growing problem, whereas accidental gun deaths remains a insignificant (in the whole, not the individual case, as I noted) part of life. 3% of a single cause of death (accidental) means you have bigger fish to fry. Unless political motivated, which despite your protests as a gun owner, you clearly are.

The majority of children who die of the flu/pnuemonia already have chronic health issues.

There were 0 deaths from pertussis in 2011 in the US. (I did start a thread a few years back about idiots who don't vaccinate their children)

I can think of no other pediatric death that is more preventable and tragic than unattended guns.

I have never stated that guns should be illegal, just that we pay a high price for the right.

I can think of no other pediatric death that is more preventable and tragic than unattended guns.

you can't? despite the evidence available right before you?

As a singular example, drowning is just as tragic, much more prevalent, and far more preventable - teach kids to swim. And provide that same oversight that would also remove from accidental shootings from the mix.

Accidents are called that for a reason - it's not an intentional result. You can't tell people not to fuck up. You can punish them later for lack of care, but we prove this reality on the highways every day, to the tune of tens of thousands dead.

Because cops are trained on how to safely use guns. (In theory anyway.)

He may have been trained in how to use it, but he must have slept through the "how to keep it" part.

On your person, or in a locked storage unit. Those are the only two options.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

He won

Hmm - this site says he didn't:

In a 20-page ruling issued December 29, 2010, Judge Shanstrom found that the Privacy Act which plaintiff Paige alleges was violated to his detriment, does not allow recovery for emotional and reputational damages, rejected that claim and dismissed Paige's action.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

yeah, right. in a locked box my ass. i keep a loaded 9mm ruger in the front drawer of my end table in the living room. i have a 9 year old son who is aware of it being there and who has shot it before, when he was 7. with my hands over his, and he'll never shoot it again, until he can handle it, had i not been holding it, he would have done some damage for sure, but as it was, he knows what it's capable of.
and i wonder how a 2 year old can possibly shoot a gun, even a double action revolver. i know for a fact that mine can't pull the slide on my gun, and it's not any harder than any other gun i've ever fired.
i also know that when, not if, someone comes through the front door, there will be a response, sometimes referred to as a "double tap".
all that being said, anytime his friends come over, everything gets put up in the bedroom, still not locked, but they're supervised and do not venture into the bedroom. that's because i have enough sense to know that at that age, left to their own devices, trouble will ensue.
and "accidents"? i call bullshit. they can all be prevented with the necessary precautions and training. there are no such thing as accidents, everything can be traced to a root cause that can be prevented.
http://kitswv.com

137 children killed in 2008 by Gun accidents in my opinion, is not a small number

Agreed, putting it into perspective...187 deaths 18 and under firearms related ~ that's 0.00006% of the total population.

Well, it puts deaths from skydiving in perspective. I guess we can abandon all the BSRs and FARs that apply to skydiving.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why is everybody in this thread totally ignoring the fact that the children were left in the car, unattended? That's usually illegal anywhere, it doesn't matter if there's a gun in the car or not.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.