Rstanley0312

Dad shoots daughters laptop to prove a point....

>it shows a person who is clearly upset to the point of irrational behavior. Not simply an
>irrational act in a singular moment, but something he had time to think about and post
>to YouTube.
Uh, that's the opposite of irrational. He had a goal that involved preparation and planning and he accomplished it.

So . . . you think shooting a laptop was a rational action?

rational as in he thought it through ... sure. That;s what rational means .. He applied 'his' form of logic to the problem - might not be you form of logic.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

ra·tion·al   [rash-uh-nl, rash-nl] Show IPA
adjective
agreeable to reason; reasonable; sensible: a rational plan for economic development.
having or exercising reason, sound judgment, or good sense: a calm and rational negotiator.
being in or characterized by full possession of one's reason; sane; lucid: The patient appeared perfectly rational.
endowed with the faculty of reason: rational beings.
of, pertaining to, or constituting reasoning powers: the rational faculty.
proceeding or derived from reason or based on reasoning: a rational explanation.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rational

When you first read the account of his YouTube video and watched it, did he appear to be, agreeable to reason; reasonable; sensible?

How about, having or exercising reason, sound judgment, or good sense?

Maybe you thought he was, being in or characterized by full possession of one's reason; sane; lucid?

I certainly didn't.

He was clearly not thinking straight. Not rational.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Good thing he didn't say; 'You're next if you don't shape-up!' to the little darling!

It's in the subtext of the whole thing though. The fact the guy thought his gun was the solution to that particular problem says a lot about how he deals with life in general. I'm sure there is a faction of folks out there who think he's some kind of "hero" now because he put a few holes into a laptop. However, it's not parenting; it's childish.

IF, in fact, the video is actually real. IS it? Or is it simply a great way to get hits on YouTube?

Now, there's a point! Could it be just for 'hits'? Then too, it is on the internet!:D

Chuck

Well, his clothes doesn't add up.

True!

Chuck

Even better, he's an urban anti-gun nut and he just set it all up to push his agenda. Right down to even the misconceptions of what a city boy thinks a redneck is like....

Why does that not surprise me.

Chuck

If he had tossed the laptop out a window or run over it with his car, would you view him as more rational?

Donating it to charity would have made more sense to me, but it wouldn't have made a very good YouTube video.

But I'm sort of skeptical about the authenticity here anyway... smells a bit like balloon boy.

If he had tossed the laptop out a window or run over it with his car, would you view him as more rational?

I would have taken a baseball bat to it a la "Office Space":ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Donating it to charity would have made more sense to me, but it wouldn't have made a very good YouTube video.

But I'm sort of skeptical about the authenticity here anyway... smells a bit like balloon boy.

I personally wouldn't donate my computers to anyone. With all the personal info that is hidden on it, I wouldn't want anyone to dig up, say, my bank acxount info.

The reason why the dad had the daughter's computed is because she wanted him to fix it. That is how he found the comments. If he wanted to donate it, he would have had to pay to fix it and then wipe it. If it's an older computer, it would be cheaper just to buy a computer to donate.

I heard on the news earlier that grounding and other typical parenting techniques were not getting through. A dramatic gesture was what finally got through to the kid.

For all the arm chair quarterbacks, when was the last time you have had to deal with a teenager? MTV and their friends at high school have created some unique parenting challenges.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

I personally wouldn't donate my computers to anyone. With all the personal info that is hidden on it, I wouldn't want anyone to dig up, say, my bank acxount info.

The reason why the dad had the daughter's computed is because she wanted him to fix it. That is how he found the comments. If he wanted to donate it, he would have had to pay to fix it and then wipe it. If it's an older computer, it would be cheaper just to buy a computer to donate.

I heard on the news earlier that grounding and other typical parenting techniques were not getting through. A dramatic gesture was what finally got through to the kid.

For all the arm chair quarterbacks, when was the last time you have had to deal with a teenager? MTV and their friends at high school have created some unique parenting challenges.

The guy sounded pretty tech savvy, or at least, savvy enough to do his own wipe. There are free programs out there that will scrub your HD clean of anything and everything by writing/rewriting pseudo random data over and over and over and over again. I use one such program at work to scrub off patient info. Works really well and is pretty quick.

And yeah, if you go back and listen again, he makes mention a few times that normal techniques / punishments weren't working and so this was just the next step in a long line of things. Apparently, this wasn't her first offense.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Careful, Quade will call social services to your home. You are in need of re-education

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The guy sounded pretty tech savvy, or at least, savvy enough to do his own wipe. There are free programs out there that will scrub your HD clean of anything and everything by writing/rewriting pseudo random data over and over and over and over again. I use one such program at work to scrub off patient info. Works really well and is pretty quick.

But, I thought that because he had a gun and cowboy hat he was an uneducated country hick that didn't know the difference between a hard drive and a hard on!

You mean to tell me that we shouldn't stereo type him? Sir, you speak blasphemy!!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:;)

Yes, he could pull the hard drive and do a full format on it 7 times to completely wipe it also. But as was stated earlier, you do what you got to do to reach the kid.

Now a days it seams that if you try to teach a kid to be respectful and try to instill some kind of work ethic, you are being unreasonable.

Or at least that's what all his or her friends would tell them at school. It's what happens when society tells us that "Jersey Shore" is what everyone should aspire to be like.B|

Careful, Quade will call social services to your home. You are in need of re-education

Well, as far as I am concerned, if it tells me "PC load letter", it's got it coming......:ph34r:

Ya know, I can remember thinking most of what the girl posted when I was a teenager. Maybe not all at once, but 13-year-olds see the world as pretty black-and-white, and centered around them. Yeah, she's older than 13, but still an adolescent.

The difference is that instead of talking resentfully to her friends, who would get bored and tell her to shut up after about 30 seconds, she has the whole internet, and she can get her whole diatribe out.

And, just like the college student who figures that employers won't look at their drunken pictures, or the one who uses "skydivediva" as their moniker on dz.com and at university, and wonders how people can figure out who trashed the DZ's reputation :P, this kid figured that she could keep the parts of her world compartmentalized. Stupid, but not unprecedented.

Dad took it way over the top by publicizing it. Now the kid will be a hero to some of her friends, which probably isn't what the father wanted.

But I'm kinda liking the "played a role" thing more and more [:/]

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Dad struck me as a huge douche. Look at him ham it up for the camera, what a bad ass. :::cig drag:::

The way he described his gun was pretty douchey.

I am sure his daughters actions had nothing to do with how he raised or, or that fact that dad is a huge douche.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

All the stuff he waa doing before was rational. It didn't work. So he decided he has to get some effect. Shock value, if you will. He did it. Planned it. Thought about it. It made sense. If represents rationalization.

It's also something to be seen by all prospective suitors for his daughter. I now know what to do in seven or eight years.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

And yeah, if you go back and listen again, he makes mention a few times that normal techniques / punishments weren't working and so this was just the next step in a long line of things. Apparently, this wasn't her first offense.

he found her post by accident on their dogs facebook page. She blocked family from seeing her post but did not have the dogs face book under family. A lesson many kids seem to not understand is that when you put something on the internet it is there for ALL to see.

>>If he had tossed the laptop out a window or run over it with his car, would you view
>>him as more rational?
>No.
Hmm. So do you consider the writer/director of Office Space to be irrational?

I believe irrational behavior makes for great TV.
That doesn't mean it makes for good parenting skills.

Perhaps that's part of the problem here. People see the way idiots on TV overreact to situations and they attempt to emulate them in real life.

Tell ya what bill, the next time the office copier doesn't print something out correctly, take a baseball bat to it and let's see how long it takes before your visit with the HR department.

Again, irrational behavior on TV; awesome.
Irrational behavior in real life; not so much.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Good thing he didn't say; 'You're next if you don't shape-up!' to the little darling!

It's in the subtext of the whole thing though. The fact the guy thought his gun was the solution to that particular problem says a lot about how he deals with life in general. I'm sure there is a faction of folks out there who think he's some kind of "hero" now because he put a few holes into a laptop. However, it's not parenting; it's childish.

IF, in fact, the video is actually real. IS it? Or is it simply a great way to get hits on YouTube?

Now, there's a point! Could it be just for 'hits'? Then too, it is on the internet!:D

Chuck

Well, his clothes doesn't add up.

Just because someone speaks with a southern accent or dresses like he does, doesn't mean they are stupid. If you read the accompanying article and comments he makes on facebook, he is actually more articulate than most of the people you come across on the net, including here >
I have no kids. i really have no opinion other than I think most teenagers now are snotnosed punks, but that could just be me getting old. I'm sure our parents said the same thing about us.

However, I DO think that more parents need to learn how to say "NO" to their kids more often.

??
Who said anything about him being stupid? I'm hinting he's dressing up to a group he doesn't belong to and it shows. Lots bright people try to dress up as cowboys, or here in San Diego, bikers. It's obvious to everyone but them.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Lol that was the first thing I thought. It was one thing to lose count. But he had fired 6 counting out loud and still didn't know what was left.

Over the top, but its what he felt he needed to do. I dont comment much on parenting unless it's obvious abusive. No one situation is the same it's almost like the weather so many variables in raising kids it's hard to say one action is wrong or right without living it.

All the stuff he waa doing before was rational. It didn't work. So he decided he has to get some effect. Shock value, if you will. He did it. Planned it. Thought about it. It made sense. If represents rationalization.

It's also something to be seen by all prospective suitors for his daughter. I now know what to do in seven or eight years.

:D All I need to do is, hopefully, get a shotgun, and be sitting on my front porch cleaning it and looking like a trigger-happy redneck when any suitors come walking up to my door to take my daughters out...

"Bring her back here by 10 pm, and not a second later or..." (click-click) :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

:D All I need to do is, hopefully, get a shotgun, and be sitting on my front porch cleaning it and looking like a trigger-happy redneck when any suitors come walking up to my door to take my daughters out...

"Bring her back here by 10 pm, and not a second later or..." (click-click) :P

Never say "Or".

Just clean away and give the curfew.
:)

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

>Tell ya what bill, the next time the office copier doesn't print something out correctly,
>take a baseball bat to it and let's see how long it takes before your visit with the HR
>department.

I've done that to our cellphones. I once spent a few days blowing up lithium ion batteries. Drove nails through them, hit them with hammers, dropped them off the roof. Oddly, not only did HR not visit me, I got a good review (partly) as a result of that.

But that's irrational I guess.

I've also done that to old PC's of mine. I took one out to a dump and bashed it in with a sledgehammer and then set it on fire. Felt pretty good after all the time I wasted with it. And again, strangely, no HR departments called me.

>Again, irrational behavior on TV; awesome.

This was irrational behavior on TV. In fact, I assume that everything you know about this guy was from Youtube.