Stumpy

If you MUST teach creation myths in science class...

>I know they don't disprove God, but try telling that to Dick Dawkins...

Too late. He already told you.

Richard Dawkins: "We cannot, of course, disprove God, just as we can't disprove Thor, fairies, leprechauns and the Flying Spaghetti Monster."

It appears to me that his statement is true while his intent is wacko.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

i think most athiests could care less about religion, and its followers.
just keeping it out of schools and government, is the problem.

how would you keep it out of history class?

if you try to give a world religions class, someone is always going to be upset what their kid is being taught.

it wont go away in our lifetime. its too powerful of a motivator, to organize, control large group of people.
Born ok 1st time.

I don't think religion will ever go away.

Humans in general are mostly motivated by emotion not logic. Religion appeals to the emotional side and really has no logical support. Religion just feels right to many people and for them that is all they need to believe. It doesn't matter that it doesn't make any logical sense. Even if you point out the contridictions and illogical aspects of a religion they always find a way to rationalize their beliefs.

We see it very clearly in all the religious posts here on this forum.

>All the creation myths have a similar standing in science . . .

I agree - but that standing is "zero." It is similar to the standings that Lysenkoism, geocentrism, spontaneous generation, preformation, Copernicanism, bodily humors and the luminiferous aether have in science. All those subjects might well be included in a history of science class or something, but since they have been discredited, should not be taught _as_ science.

creationism hasn't been discredited, it just has no evidence to back it. That's in stark contrast to geocentrism or flat earthism, which even centuries ago could be disproven.

seems like philosophy would be the place to stick it, but not a subject that gets a lot of time in school.

http://designinference.com/

To infer a designer is common in science. It is the key purpose of sciences from archaeology to the search for extraterrestrial life.

Well, they certainly are more vocal here, hiding behind their firewalls...

If you're familiar with my posting history you'd see I'm a big proponent for the separation of Church and state. I do not want the government in my church business and I certainly don't want liberal atheist teaching my kids about Christianity....Here's an idea, how about we learn about God and the bible at Church? But the church is too busy kissing ass and taking money when it should be more concerned with kickin' ass and taking names...:D
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

If you're familiar with my posting history you'd see I'm a big proponent for the separation of Church and state. I do not want the government in my church business and I certainly don't want liberal atheist teaching my kids about Christianity....Here's an idea, how about we learn about God and the bible at Church? But the church is too busy kissing ass and taking money when it should be more concerned with kickin' ass and taking names...:D

i dont think a liberal or conservative atheist is going to teach kids about religion.

i like the idea of community gatherings (church), but most churches are just businesses raising tax free money. their bottom line is the church growing, "saving" people (donation base), not helping the community.

why would a church "kick ass and take names"?
Born ok 1st time.

i dont think a liberal or conservative atheist is going to teach kids about religion.

They do up here...

i like the idea of community gatherings (church), but most churches are just businesses raising tax free money. their bottom line is the church growing, "saving" people (donation base), not helping the community.

I think Church should follow the biblical structure given...

why would a church "kick ass and take names"?

Relax, It was a joke, hence the laughing smiley...I was only half serious

The real christians know what I was talking about....;)

Scientists don't disprove god. They prove science which explains the world in which we live. Those explanations simply don't require god.

Which would be great if that was where atheistic scientists stopped with their explanation of reality. But taking the limited understanding of how physics works and extrapolating it into God does not exist is where science enters into the realm of religion.

>But he sure spends alot of time trying to -

Nope. He spends his time proving you don't NEED God to explain the universe. He's been quite clear on that.

>Perhaps that would've been time better spent on improving the holes in your theories . . .

That's what most of his work has done. His writing is a small part of his overall career.

>Which would be great if that was where atheistic scientists stopped with their
>explanation of reality.

Agreed - and most scientists do that.

There are, of course, a few wackos, just as there are a few wackos that try to teach creationism as science.

Which would be great if that was where atheistic scientists stopped with their explanation of reality. But taking the limited understanding of how physics works and extrapolating it into God does not exist is where science enters into the realm of religion.

asking for proof is how science works sorry. everything is looked at over and over.

religion just wants you to believe period. no questions. its all in this ancient book thats been translated and rewritten 1000 times.
Born ok 1st time.

To infer a designer is common in science. It is the key purpose of sciences from archaeology to the search for extraterrestrial life.

I infer a designer when I see a house because I know that humans design houses. I can even tell the difference between a pyramid which does have a designer, and a small hill which doesn't.

Funny that, if everything is designed.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

you don't NEED God to explain the universe.

I have no problem with that...that's not what God is for. I'm sure if it were that important to Him he would've made the creation story a bit more extensive than one page...Hell, I know abstracts longer than that!

....advocating that the schools be responsible for providing a varied exposure to...

...all subjects, scientific, philosophical, religious civic...everything.

Just don't get them mixed up.

We have enough trouble getting kids to take on board stuff that's right in science classes without being forced to teach them all the stuff that's wrong as well.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

how would you keep it out of history class?

if you try to give a world religions class, someone is always going to be upset what their kid is being taught.

it wont go away in our lifetime. its too powerful of a motivator, to organize, control large group of people.

you can't teach classic (Western) literature without some attention to Christianity. As it is, us heathens are at a substantial disadvantage in reading some of that stuff. (Dante, anyone?)

History is a different matter. Sometimes the high school version has that simplistic nonsense and the college version gets to the heart of it - money and power hiding in the veil of God.

Richard Dawkins: "We cannot, of course, disprove God, just as we can't disprove Thor, fairies, leprechauns and the Flying Spaghetti Monster."

Well, most Athiests seem preety hellbent against God...Not leprechauns, unicorns, or easter bunnies. Shit, you'd think the guy was actually real or something!:D

Well, most Athiests seem preety hellbent against God...Not leprechauns, unicorns, or easter bunnies.

I've never seen a President attempt to justify going to war based on his belief that leprechauns, unicorns or the Easter Bunny told him it was a good idea.

The minute I do, yeah, I think you'll see me fighting that pretty hard.

It's not that leprechauns, unicorns or the Easter Bunny are fictional characters, it's that leaders attempt to use another one to control the masses.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I've never seen a President attempt to justify going to war based on his belief that leprechauns, unicorns or the Easter Bunny told him it was a good idea.

The minute I do, yeah, I think you'll see me fighting that pretty hard.

...and I'll fight right along with ya...God told me to.:P

>Well, most Athiests seem preety hellbent against God...Not leprechauns, unicorns, or
>easter bunnies.

Hmm. The atheists I know don't seem hell-bent against anything. They just resist attempts to convert them - and that REALLY pisses off the proselytizers. Look at how pissed off people here are about Richard Dawkins.

Hmm. The atheists I know don't seem hell-bent against anything.

You're kidding, right?

The atheists here are the most vocally irritating bastards around. Their proselytizing easily out numbers the christians here...

>The atheists here are the most vocally irritating bastards around.

They can't hold a candle to the proselytizers. Still haven't had a single atheist come to my door to tell me about atheism - but since we've moved we've had three religious types come to "convert" us.

>The atheists here are the most vocally irritating bastards around.

They can't hold a candle to the proselytizers. Still haven't had a single atheist come to my door to tell me about atheism - but since we've moved we've had three religious types come to "convert" us.

But I bet they didn't ridicule you with fighting words...

Atheist don't go door to door because their insults would get them shot...