dreamdancer

Occupy 101

...In California, the International Longshoremen's Union will shut down the Port of Oakland and some 4,500 members of the California Nurses Association are expected to skip work. Occupy Oakland scuttled a plan for what might have been the most controversial May Day action, a shutdown of the Golden Gate Bridge, after a coalition of striking bridge worker unions backed out. Still, California protesters plan to unveil a squat in San Francisco, hold three simultaneous marches in Oakland, and gum up traffic in Los Angeles with a Critical Mass-style protest on bicycles. Smaller Occupy groups, of course, are also planning protests in cities from Anchorage to Tucson, and any one of them could become a flashpoint...

Like I said

For the most part....
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Did we ever figure out what their goals were? I looked it up at one point and nobody was sure. I never revisited it after that.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Yeah. Wiki says that they are protesting income inequality and want to address it through direct action. Sounds vaguely like they want to steal from rich people to me, but we'll see.

It also sites a couple of surveys that show about half are full-time employed. I guess the part-time employment provides alot of time to protest. I would think that would give me time for other things, but everyone needs a hobby, I guess.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

...In California, the International Longshoremen's Union will shut down the Port of Oakland and some 4,500 members of the California Nurses Association are expected to skip work. Occupy Oakland scuttled a plan for what might have been the most controversial May Day action, a shutdown of the Golden Gate Bridge, after a coalition of striking bridge worker unions backed out. Still, California protesters plan to unveil a squat in San Francisco, hold three simultaneous marches in Oakland, and gum up traffic in Los Angeles with a Critical Mass-style protest on bicycles. Smaller Occupy groups, of course, are also planning protests in cities from Anchorage to Tucson, and any one of them could become a flashpoint...

And then there's reality. I see no reports here that the port of Oakland is closed. I work across the street from the Federal Building and at lunchtime all appears pretty normal. There was a more substantial march last week by Labor, today it's small stuff thus far.

BTW, anything happening today should be attributed to May (Labor) Day, not Occupy my Park.

Occupy Golden Gate Bridge? Aside from being an insipid idea, it's a long walk with no "free" public transportation to take you there. Seems like too much work for these people.

...Oakland police used "an overwhelming military-type response" to disperse Occupy Oakland demonstrators and fired at a former Marine and Iraq war veteran who was critically injured in the clashes in October, according to a court ordered report released Monday...

Apparently, some Occupy Protesters are not content with just destroying the property of mom and pop store owners and restauranteurs. Some of them had higher aspirations, such as blowing up a bridge. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j46RroINNjjLq8sO0kRXbgXRxb7w?docId=997a1a16f06b4d6b8d322397ff38414f

Now, I note that plenty of the local Occupiers knew the alleged vandals, and had no knowledge of the planned episode, espousing non-violence and peaceful direct action.

Meanwhile, in further carefully coordinated May Day protests, we see that the occupiers have, indeed, indicated their leanings and understanding of history by choosing May 1 - a day that communists have long celebrated as symbolic of destroying capitalism, democracy, etc. And like it or not, that is a message being deliberately sent. Destruction of bridges and violence are a way of life with those that hate America.

Touche. I'm at least glad to see some integrity coming from the Occupiers.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

...Oakland police used "an overwhelming military-type response" to disperse Occupy Oakland demonstrators and fired at a former Marine and Iraq war veteran who was critically injured in the clashes in October, according to a court ordered report released Monday...

that was last year. I thought you wanted to talk about May Day. BTW, it remains unknown if it was done by Oakland cops, or by others brought it to assist.

In California, the International Longshoremen's Union will shut down the Port of Oakland

Of course. The unions bought the occupiers, so they should play game, too.

some 4,500 members of the California Nurses Association are expected to skip work

Because unions care about the sick and the dying. Ummmm....

Occupy Oakland scuttled a plan for what might have been the most controversial May Day action, a shutdown of the Golden Gate Bridge, after a coalition of striking bridge worker unions backed out.

Right. The union couldn't support this, and therefore the occupiers would have no funding or money for this job.

alifornia protesters plan to unveil a squat in San Francisco, hold three simultaneous marches in Oakland, and gum up traffic in Los Angeles with a Critical Mass-style protest on bicycles.

Because nothing says "Down with corporations" like fucking up the day-to-day existence of the average Joe trying to get to or from his job.

Smaller Occupy groups, of course, are also planning protests in cities from Anchorage to Tucson, and any one of them could become a flashpoint...

True. Flashpoints are wanted. Cleveland was supposed to be a flashpoint, too. Too bad that C-4 was fugazi...

Did we ever figure out what their goals were? I looked it up at one point and nobody was sure. I never revisited it after that.

Yes. Party outside while the weather is good, but have some reason to say that the rave should keep on going.

...Around 50 activists have occupied parts of the London Stock Exchange and Paternoster square as part of May Day protests in London.

Members of the Occupy movement and Anonymous – better known for its online hacking activities – have also erected a number of tents inside the square which is privately owned and the subject of a previous court injunction banning occupation protests.

The central monument in the square was turned into a Maypole and a tent was foisted on top of it. Also hung fromthe LSE entrance was banner reading: "A line of tents guards our futures."...

So throughout London, there were fewer people doing this than attended my commissioning ceremony?

Damn. I had no idea that I was so impressive. 50 people? In London? WOW! That's more than an English dentist sees all year.

...Hundreds of thousands of people across the globe have taken to the streets to mark May Day, also known as International Workers' Day.

In Athens, Jakarta, Madrid, Tunis and beyond, protesters are refusing austerity and demanding decent wages and working conditions...

...Hundreds of thousands of people across the globe have taken to the streets to mark May Day, also known as International Workers' Day.

In Athens, Jakarta, Madrid, Tunis and beyond, protesters are refusing austerity and demanding decent wages and working conditions...

and has nothing to do with the dead Occupy movement.

I expected it to be kicking by now, to play a role in the June primaries here. It's barely budged, despite the return of fantastic weather. It appears to have died due to its lack of leadership and goals.

Yeah. They are protesting it in North Korea. And In Cuba.

Add to that protesters in Athens, Madrid and Tunis. There are protesters every fucking day. The wages there are as high as the unemployment level, leaving plenty of people (especially the inexperienced youths and immigrants, who are the ones who primarily feel the pinch of artificially inflated wages and government controls on employment) with nothing better to do than protest.

it does make me wonder - imagine if the billions of Occupy Protesters out today actually worked together and pooled their resources to form businesses that gave a better share of profits to their employees what would happen? Oh, yeah. They'd form "partnerships" where they get to share in the profits. And they could all hire the occupiers, pay them high wages, insurance, etc., and be out of business in a few days/weeks/hours.

All of those people could be working together for each other instead of against something else. Y'all have had more than six months to come up with something to be in favor of instead of something you are against.

It doesn't take balls to stand with a group of other people asking for something. It takes balls to be away from the park and say "no" to the crowd. It takes balls to put your own money where your mouth is.

Because nothing says "Down with corporations" like fucking up the day-to-day existence of the average Joe trying to get to or from his job.......

Well, the Occupiers do understand something that the west hasn't understood since WW2 .....there is no such thing as a "civilian" in a war. Obviously "the average Joe", by participating in commerce and going to his job and working, is supporting the corporations and bankers which are clearly the enemies of the Occupiers. These evil entities could not exist without Joe.

Sweet J45

and another- but this one does have some cool footage

and has nothing to do with the dead Occupy movement.

I expected it to be kicking by now, to play a role in the June primaries here. It's barely budged, despite the return of fantastic weather. It appears to have died due to its lack of leadership and goals.

Rome wasn't built in a Day. Its non-hierarchical structure has strengths and weaknesses. I would say ten years for it to fully Flower.

Rome wasn't built in a Day.

Right. Someone built it. Nobody stood in some Agora yelling, "Build Rome! Build Rome!"

Its non-hierarchical structure

What non-hierarchical structure? The Occupy movement's? Any group that has spokespeople has a hierarchical structure.

Rome wasn't built in a Day. Its non-hierarchical structure has strengths and weaknesses. I would say ten years for it to fully Flower.

10 years?! Marx wrote his works over 150 years ago!

The Tea Party came and went in just a couple years. Why will Occupy do any better? Clearly the brains in the outfit decided to actually try to do things rather than sit in a drum circle full of professional protesters. They are the ones that might actually accomplish change.

that was last year. I thought you wanted to talk about May Day. BTW, it remains unknown if it was done by Oakland cops, or by others brought it to assist.

That was the guy that supposedly was in a coma that was photographed texting while the medics were working on him, right?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706