jclalor

Gingrich wanted ‘open marriage’ with both wife and mistress

However, I do expect someone to conduct themselves in a professional manner once they are in office.

I expect people to conduct themselves professionally while on the job. Since Newt is not on the clock in his personal life, it’s not much of my business.

But in Newt’s situation it is not. To an extent, Newt did the same thing that Clinton did – both of them got sexually involved with a subordinate. The top manager in the US government (Clinton) got blown by an intern. To me, that is inexcusable and an absolute abuse of his authority and position. Gingrich got involved with his present wife when she was a staffer with the House of Representatives and he was the SPEAKER! Again, the boss and the subordinate. Edwards? Had an affair with his videographer – a paid employee.

It seems that Newton, like Clinton, lived by the William J. LePetomane doctrine that “The affairs of state must take precedence over the Affairs of State.” My problem with Clinton was not that he got a blowjob – it was the President getting a blowjob from an intern. It was the President giving an intern access to the Oval Office that those interns who did not blow him did not get.

Newton is no better. He carried on an affair with a woman over whom he had some authority. Others may disagree, but in my book it’s just plain wrong. It’s an abuse of power and it is something that I find unacceptable in a leader.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Nice summary. In addition, there is the whole family values/anti-abortion thing in the GOP which makes Newt a grade-A hypocrite. If his private life is off limits, so should everyone else's be, including pregnant women.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My personal feeling is that the focus on his policy positions takes away the effect of the scumbaggery.

Let's call a scumbag a scumbag and forget the hypocrisy part. He's done enough for me to find him t be a scumbag. He hasn't taken a position against abuse of authority - which is my biggest problem with those in authority.

Note - Clinton was a good president from 95 on. He was a scumbag, but a good president.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

+1..... Gingrich has declared that the story is false.

Oh well, that settles it then. Poor little Newt, such an honorable man to attract such emnity. A modern day Job, I tell you.

In the same manner as the story about John McCain's illegitimate daughter was spun, and which has since been repudiated by no less than the Democratic National Committee.

Just so we're clear here, that particular smear campaign had nothing to do with the DNC. It was a product of the Bush campaign, and had Karl Rove's fingerprints all over it.

I thought it was masterful how Gingrich handed moderator King his own ass at the opening.

So now Gingrich, the high priest of the politics of personal destruction, is now complaining about being hoist on his own petard? Would this be the same Newt who lead the interrogation of Clinton over personal matters that we now learn are irrelevant to the leadership of the country (but only irrelevant when applied to Newt, I suppose), while he was, by his own admission, at the very same time fucking his campaign worker behind his wife's back? "Help, help, I'm being oppressed!"

Don

However, I do expect someone to conduct themselves in a professional manner once they are in office.

Personally I think whatever someone does in his bed room is no one's business as long as it doesn't reflect on his or her job.

I believe that's what I said.

Cool. And the same should apply to what goes on in the ob-gyne's office.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

+1..... Gingrich has declared that the story is false.

Oh well, that settles it then. Poor little Newt, such an honorable man to attract such emnity. A modern day Job, I tell you.

In the same manner as the story about John McCain's illegitimate daughter was spun, and which has since been repudiated by no less than the Democratic National Committee.

Just so we're clear here, that particular smear campaign had nothing to do with the DNC. It was a product of the Bush campaign, and had Karl Rove's fingerprints all over it.

I thought it was masterful how Gingrich handed moderator King his own ass at the opening.

So now Gingrich, the high priest of the politics of personal destruction, is now complaining about being hoist on his own petard? Would this be the same Newt who lead the interrogation of Clinton over personal matters that we now learn are irrelevant to the leadership of the country (but only irrelevant when applied to Newt, I suppose), while he was, by his own admission, at the very same time fucking his campaign worker behind his wife's back? "Help, help, I'm being oppressed!"

Don

Don't know the man personally........ Do you?
However, the DNC has indeed disavowed the McCain smear. No matter who made it. That the DNC repudiated it speaks loudly.
EDIT........ Perhaps an independent fact checker on this thread would be helpful. While sex acts by Presidents and other powerful notables do make headlines, inside the Beltway, unless it's illegal, you really ain't got nuttin'.

Masterful? He kicked his ass along with CNN's

Bout time we have a Republican who will not take the media bull shit
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Since the "man" makes his living in the public eye, I know enough about him to know he does not have a history of faithfulness to his word or his principles. I don't need to know more than that to know he is unsuitable as a leader of this country.

I suppose every mass murderer, ruthless despot, etc has their "good points" and people who will testify they have a "well-meaning heart". Doesn't mean it would be a good idea to make them your drinking buddy, or president.

However, the DNC has indeed disavowed the McCain smear. No matter who made it. That the DNC repudiated it speaks loudly.

Yes it does. Has the RNC repudiated it loudly? Has Bush repudiated it loudly? If not, I suppose it suggests the DNC is more honorable and more truthful than the RNC, at least on this matter. That anyone would not repudiate it also speaks loudly.

Don

Since the "man" makes his living in the public eye, I know enough about him to know he does not have a history of faithfulness to his word or his principles. I don't need to know more than that to know he is unsuitable as a leader of this country.

I suppose every mass murderer, ruthless despot, etc has their "good points" and people who will testify they have a "well-meaning heart". Doesn't mean it would be a good idea to make them your drinking buddy, or president.

Yes it does. Has the RNC repudiated it loudly? Has Bush repudiated it loudly? If not, I suppose it suggests the DNC is more honorable and more truthful than the RNC, at least on this matter. That anyone would not repudiate it also speaks loudly.

Don

LOL...... Repubs would not mention it. To do so is to highlight the story for the media, and bring it air time. The media loves it when a high ranking pol cranks out dirt, no matter if true or not. The media happily posts it. The nastier, the better.
Go to Newt.org and communicate your concerns. I believe that you will receive a response.

In addition, there is the whole family values/anti-abortion thing in the GOP which makes Newt a grade-A hypocrite.

Then don't get all pissy when those who actually do live by their family values vote accordingly...afterall, God forbid they support abortion, they'd be hypocrites!
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

In addition, there is the whole family values/anti-abortion thing in the GOP which makes Newt a grade-A hypocrite.

Then don't get all pissy when those who actually do live by their family values vote accordingly...afterall, God forbid they support abortion, they'd be hypocrites!

OMG......!:o Yet, "Another Kallend misconception?"

his private life is none of our business.

True, unless his private life is somehow of importance in regard of his politic views, which is the case here. If you preach family values, you better make damn sure that your private life is pristine. A typical case of "Judge and be judged".

I agree with you in principle. But unless somebody's a closet axe murderer or serial wife beater, I really don't give a shit anymore. I see ex- and soon-to-be-ex- spouses/SOs act like fucking assholes almost every time I'm in Family Court. We've all known for 20 years that Newt's a prick, and a philanderer, in that order. So now, 15 years after the marriage ended, his 2nd ex is getting in one last lashing-out of her rage against her ex-husband, for no other reason than because she hopes it hurts him. Frankly, I think it's long past time for her to have gotten on with her life, including emotionally. After all these years, all she's really managed to do is make herself look like an embittered fool in public.

This should be a lesson to all the divorcees out there who are still very, very, very angry at their ex-spouses: Let it go.

I pretty much agree with you, counselor. Maybe I'm too 'old school' but I really feel that our politicians and elected officials should be held to a higher standard. Especially, our president. He represents us to the entire world. I think too, the 'sexual revolution' of the 60's as well as other movements of that era have drastically changed our morals and standards. We've become so laid-back, we're about to fall over!

Chuck

Personally I think whatever someone does in his bed room is no one's business as long as it doesn't reflect on his or her job.

Evidently it was also the bedroom of his ex-wife.

It is a bit entertaining when we are told over and over how being a Christian makes you morally superior to a non-believer, and that they and they alone knows whats right for society. If Newt did not have such a strong opinion about what other consenting adults do in their bedroom, I would not give a shit about what he does in his.

Newt is 68 and his "current wife" is 45? Was there not a thread in the other forum that stated any relationship with someone who is younger than half your age plus seven years is creepy?

I was shocked to learn she was only 45; looks like she could be 55.

True, unless his private life is somehow of importance in regard of his politic views, which is the case here. If you preach family values, you better make damn sure that your private life is pristine. A typical case of "Judge and be judged".

I agree with you in principle. But unless somebody's a closet axe murderer or serial wife beater, I really don't give a shit anymore. I see ex- and soon-to-be-ex- spouses/SOs act like fucking assholes almost every time I'm in Family Court. We've all known for 20 years that Newt's a prick, and a philanderer, in that order. So now, 15 years after the marriage ended, his 2nd ex is getting in one last lashing-out of her rage against her ex-husband, for no other reason than because she hopes it hurts him. Frankly, I think it's long past time for her to have gotten on with her life, including emotionally. After all these years, all she's really managed to do is make herself look like an embittered fool in public.

This should be a lesson to all the divorcees out there who are still very, very, very angry at their ex-spouses: Let it go.

I pretty much agree with you, counselor. Maybe I'm too 'old school' but I really feel that our politicians and elected officials should be held to a higher standard. Especially, our president. He represents us to the entire world. I think too, the 'sexual revolution' of the 60's as well as other movements of that era have drastically changed our morals and standards. We've become so laid-back, we're about to fall over!

Chuck

Damn, right............
I'm pretty sure everyone would agree in principle. The problem is where do we, as a nation, find such an angel to be our leader? Ain't no way. Men are flawed. To find one who is honest to admit that he has made human mistakes would be refreshing. Gingrich has 'fessed up. Many times. Gingrich certainly did not perjure himself like Willie the "K" did.
"Ah ded not have sax wiff that woman."
"That depends on wut the meaning of "is" is.....
"Mah cee-gar tayses funny..."

It is a bit entertaining when we are told over and over how being a Christian makes you morally superior to a non-believer

No you're not...I would say that most evangelicals believe moralism is very dangerous. It gives the impression that one can acheive salvation through their own merit, thus usurping Christ. It goes against Christianity...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Ya know, I think somehow I'd rather have a president who sleeps around on his wife (although I do understand Lawrocket's objection on the basis of position/power differential), than one who has the ethical background shown by the Newtster.

He was asked to resign by his Republican colleagues over ethics charges that ended up costing him $300,0000. Personally, I thought he was a much better Speaker of the House than we had any right to expect, based on his polarizing behavior before becoming SOH.

But he's a flawed figure; I think that the biggest impact of his being elected President would be the public's acknowledgment that a clearly flawed figure can be elected, and maybe then we can begin to focus on issues in the future.

I really don't give a shit if the president, in his past, screwed around on his wife with another consenting adult, or smoked a little pot, or even did some blow in the 1980's, or was arrested for shoplifing as a teenager, or cheated on a test in college. Those are human things to do.

Patterns of misbehavior are more serious, as is a willingness to corrupt the system to make one look better.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ya know, I think somehow I'd rather have a president who sleeps around on his wife (although I do understand Lawrocket's objection on the basis of position/power differential), than one who has the ethical background shown by the Newtster.

He was asked to resign by his Republican colleagues over ethics charges that ended up costing him $300,0000. Personally, I thought he was a much better Speaker of the House than we had any right to expect, based on his polarizing behavior before becoming SOH.

But he's a flawed figure; I think that the biggest impact of his being elected President would be the public's acknowledgment that a clearly flawed figure can be elected, and maybe then we can begin to focus on issues in the future.

I really don't give a shit if the president, in his past, screwed around on his wife with another consenting adult, or smoked a little pot, or even did some blow in the 1980's, or was arrested for shoplifing as a teenager, or cheated on a test in college. Those are human things to do.

Patterns of misbehavior are more serious, as is a willingness to corrupt the system to make one look better.

Wendy P.

Excellent points..... Look at BHO's pattern of behavior. Charles Krauthammer has been saying the exact same thing you wrote for years even before BHO stepped in the White House.

Do you want to provide details, or just let that sit there gathering suspicion?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

personal matters that we now learn are irrelevant to the leadership of the country (but only irrelevant when applied to Newt, I suppose)

Funny how well that view fits in reverse... we have the same people that told us that Clinton's indiscretions weren't important suddenly crowing over how important it is to consider Gingrich's indiscretions.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Krauthammer is on record as saying a lot of things about Obama. It's his job as a columnist to say a lot of things.

Class envy, military reductions, Keystone pipeline, undermining Israel's position -- he's a conservative columnist. Can you please give me a hint as to which particular negative opinion you're referring to? I don't like Obama down the line. Against Perry, it's a no-brainer; against Romney, I'll pay attention to the election. Against Newt, I'll still pay attention to the election, but less (personally,I think Newt is more about Newt, while Romney is more about the job).

Wendy P.

Krauthammer is on record as saying a lot of things about Obama. It's his job as a columnist to say a lot of things.

Class envy, military reductions, Keystone pipeline, undermining Israel's position -- he's a conservative columnist. Can you please give me a hint as to which particular negative opinion you're referring to? I don't like Obama down the line. Against Perry, it's a no-brainer; against Romney, I'll pay attention to the election. Against Newt, I'll still pay attention to the election, but less (personally,I think Newt is more about Newt, while Romney is more about the job).

Wendy P.

Dr. Krauthammer, a Harvard MD is also a board certified PSYCHIATRIST, from a Boston ( a hot bed of conservative reactionaries ) hospital. As such, I believe that Dr. Krauthammer is in a far better position to comment on the behavior of BHO than a Prof of Material Engineering or a Prof. of Medical Entomology. Dr. Krauthammer, as a Pulitzer Prize winner, speaks for himself in his published essays.
Romney, ain't lost yet, ya know. Relax, this primary thing is not over yet. It's just gotten rolling. I'll support Romney or Gingrich over Barry H.
A hint...? You mentioned patterns of behavior. Start there.

Chuck

Damn, right............
I'm pretty sure everyone would agree in principle. The problem is where do we, as a nation, find such an angel to be our leader? Ain't no way. Men are flawed. To find one who is honest to admit that he has made human mistakes would be refreshing. Gingrich has 'fessed up. Many times. Gingrich certainly did not perjure himself like Willie the "K" did.
"Ah ded not have sax wiff that woman."
"That depends on wut the meaning of "is" is.....
"Mah cee-gar tayses funny..."

I'm not saying they need to be perfect. There's no duch thing. I do expect them to have a God-damned backbone and do the job the way it's meant to be done.

Chuck

Funny how well that view fits in reverse... we have the same people that told us that Clinton's indiscretions weren't important suddenly crowing over how important it is to consider Gingrich's indiscretions.

Well, personally I find hypocrisy to be an unattractive character trait regardless of the political slant of the hypocrite. Mr. Gingrich's history is well known to everybody. Can you remind me who Clinton set up an inquisition on, then tried to impeach, for activities that he was himself engaged in at the same time? I've quite forgotten any such incidents.

I don't think I have ever said I approved of Clinton's behavior re "zippergate". I don't think they rose to the level of impeachment, but of course others (perhaps Lawrocket) may disagree. If Newt has (had?) a propensity to deceive those he claimed to be closest to so he could dip his wick in any besotted campaign worker who'd flop on her back and spread her legs for him, that just makes him a cad. It's the fact that he would seek to advance his own career by attacking others over behavior he is himself engaged in (and so must find excusable) that exposes his real moral compass (unadulterated self-interest) and renders him an exceeding poor choice for president. The same compass is evident when he takes money to "consult" (i.e. lobby) for Fannie and Freddie, then turns around and shits on them when that becomes more expedient. Surely a party that claims to represent a majority in a country with a voting-eligible population of over 217 million can find a decent selection of candidates who are both intelligent and not scumbags?

Don