JohnRich

OMG! California police officers have assault weapons!

News:
California lawmen own thousands of assault guns

"Peace officers throughout California have bought more than 7,600 assault weapons that are outlawed for civilians in the decade since state lawmakers allowed the practice, according to data obtained by the Associated Press after it was revealed that federal authorities are investigating illegal gun sales by law enforcement.

"The AP's findings and the federal probe have prompted one state lawmaker to revisit the law to ensure that the guns can be bought only for police purposes.

"I think it's much more questionable whether we should allow peace officers to have access to weapons or firearms that a private citizen wouldn't have access to if the use is strictly personal," said Assemblyman Roger Dickinson, D-Sacramento..."
Full story: San Francisco Chronicle

1. The whole euphemism of calling them "peace officers" makes me want to throw up.

2. I wonder if such a law would withstand an equal protection challenge. Seems to me it would fail on its face, but I do not have a ton of knowledge of this area.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Define "Assault Weapon" by not using cosmetic attributes...

From the Article:

Assault weapons include semiautomatic military-style rifles typically used by law enforcement, as well as some pistols and shotguns. The semiautomatic variety fire one bullet with each pull of the trigger.

I would point out that 43 states don't have the same restrictions on semi automatic rifles owned by civilians. IMHO just another reason not to live in California.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to
accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine
with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length
of less than 30 inches.
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a
detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely
encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon
without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the
barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location
outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the
capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a
detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
(b) The Legislature finds a significant public purpose in
exempting pistols that are designed expressly for use in Olympic
target shooting events. Therefore, those pistols that are sanctioned
by the International Olympic Committee and by USA Shooting, the
national governing body for international shooting competition in the
United States, and that are used for Olympic target shooting
purposes at the time the act adding this subdivision is enacted, and
that would otherwise fall within the definition of "assault weapon"

And all avoided by http://www.riflegear.com/p-58-ar15-bullet-button.aspxB|
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Whenever I go to a website for a California gunshop that specializes in assault weapons, I find it amazing how difficult it is to find any "California Compliant" guns or magazines. Most of the gunshops stock guns that aren't even legal in the state, which means that the only customers for these guns are cops - with notes from other cops saying that they need them for work!
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

Police off duty should not be allowed something the average citizen is not allowed to own or do.

I disagree. I don't think the average citizen should be prevented from owning a weapon an off duty police officer is allowed to own.

this is funny - those are two equivalent statements

However, the phrasing certainly indicates a different philosophy in the approach. One is based on gov restricting rights - the other is about the gov staying out of it

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Whenever I go to a website for a California gunshop that specializes in assault weapons, I find it amazing how difficult it is to find any "California Compliant" guns or magazines. Most of the gunshops stock guns that aren't even legal in the state, which means that the only customers for these guns are cops - with notes from other cops saying that they need them for work!

yes, most gun shops have an entire display case for LEO (law enforcement only) handguns as well.

yes, most gun shops have an entire display case for LEO (law enforcement only) handguns as well.

Which, when you think about it, is silly on it's face - why would a LEO, with extra weapons available (cruiser gun) and backups either on-site via his partner or on the way via radio, have a more valid need for a certain number of rounds in his weapon than a civilian, who has no backup and no extra weapons?

Then again, logic was *never* the strong suit of the gun-grabbers.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Here's an example:

This gunshop only sells one model of an AR-15 magazine that's legal in California (max. ten rounds). This one model holds 9 rounds.

Legal Magazine

But, want to buy an "illegal" magazine in California that has more than 10 rounds, no problem:

Illegal Magazines : "LE only in California"

Here's an example:

This gunshop only sells one model of an AR-15 magazine that's legal in California (max. ten rounds). This one model holds 9 rounds.

Legal Magazine

But, want to buy an "illegal" magazine in California that has more than 10 rounds, no problem:

Try to buy the second one with a CA address and without LE credentials on-file.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Here's an example:

Legal Magazine

Well, if I tried to, I'm sure I'd have no problem trying to find a cop to arrest me; the store will be full of them buying the same thing.

Here's an example:

Legal Magazine

Well, if I tried to, I'm sure I'd have no problem trying to find a cop to arrest me; the store will be full of them buying the same thing.

Yup...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

However, the phrasing certainly indicates a different philosophy in the approach. One is based on gov restricting rights - the other is about the gov staying out of it

Well, I think personally that the 2nd Amendment spells it out clearly. The Fed Govt has no right to regulate firearms and since it has been incorporated, the States also do not have the right.

A citizen should be allowed to have the same type of weapon that the military is issued.

My comment about the police off duty not being allowed to own something special is along the lines of police should not be treated as special members of society. They should not be allowed to run red lights of duty either. ALL LAWS that apply to an average citizen should also apply to an off duty officer.