BIGUN

Is there a connection between Islam, Judaism and Christianity

For years, I have been studying religions of the world. A way of trying to find that emotional connection to God that I remember as a young Roman Catholic altar boy singing the Latin mass. Over time and particularly from 9/11 have been questioning, "How did all this "Holy War" shit start thousands of years ago? How can people of God have crusades and wars and so much strife when there HAS to be a common thread among all three religions. What is that thread and is there a way to educate people that our religions may not be that different? The beginning of my journey began some years ago when I heard Whitney Houston at an award show say "Music is the most important thing to me, because if we have music, then we have love, and if we give the children music; they too will have love."

The music of the Latin Mass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9sIcQ5MAeM&feature=related

The music of the Torah:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfF6-TkAnBM&feature=related

The music of the Q'uran:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jivNz_i9QTU&feature=related

While trying to interlace the three religions together myself recently came across the following dissertation/explanation of the three that I found quite profound. Now, I don't think we're ever going to sway one from their roots; but wonder how few know that all the roots tie back to a single point in time. If you're interested... have a cup of coffee and check it out:

http://explore.org/#!/videos/player/middle-east-traveling-with-jihad
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

"Music is the most important thing to me, because if we have music, then we have love, and if we give the children music; they too will have love."

Uh huh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z8p3I4tTxE:|

A skinhead vid? What the fuck is that about? I was explaining how a sequence of events led me to a long term study of religion and was sharing during a "religious" time of year and you give us skinheads?!?!??! :S>:(
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The topic is: Is there a connection between Islam, Judaism and Christianity
Can we discuss this, please.

Yes, they all have many things in common.
Each of these religions claim to be right and if you're not a believer in THEIR tenets, they all claim that you will be tormented for eternity. I call it the"mutual exclusivity clause".
They also share the prerequisite of suspending rational thought (faith). They require it because without it, religion would quickly become extinct.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

BTW, it was when I explored what all religions had in common, that I realized that none of them were based in Truth.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."

BTW, it was when I explored what all religions had in common, that I realized that none of them were based in Truth.

Were you searching for atheism in your Oct. 25th thread? I can't tell if you believe in God or not. My position is a belief in a God; but difficulties with organized (dis-organized) religion. I admit I had less questions when I was a young altar boy, but felt an emotional bond with "God." Having said that, I don't know if it was an emotional relationship with God as much as it was the church fellowship of my peers, Priests, youth groups, etc.

Anyway, with all the strife in the world today... decided to dive deeper into "a beginning of all religions." It's actually quite interesting.

Were you searching for atheism in your Oct. 25th thread? I can't tell if you believe in God or not. My position is a belief in a God; but difficulties with organized (dis-organized) religion. I admit I had less questions when I was a young altar boy, but felt an emotional bond with "God." Having said that, I don't know if it was an emotional relationship with God as much as it was the church fellowship of my peers, Priests, youth groups, etc.

Anyway, with all the strife in the world today... decided to dive deeper into "a beginning of all religions." It's actually quite interesting.

No, I was not "searching" for atheism in that thread...I've been an atheist for the a long time now.
If you are fond of your belief in god, you may find that knowlege is your enemy. Proceed with caution...

No, I was not "searching" for atheism in that thread...I've been an atheist for the a long time now.
If you are fond of your belief in god, you may find that knowlege is your enemy. Proceed with caution...

Knowledge is not necessarily the enemy of spirtuality (although it may seem that way to those who blindly believe what their religious texts tell them to believe).

There are many who believe in God, but don't follow organized religion. Either because they believe that the religion was man made and therefore false, or if it was divinely inspired, it has since been corrupted and polluted by the people that were in charge of it.

NPR had an interesting story on that.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

There is no more evidence for disorganized religion than there is for organized religion. I always laugh when I hear the declaration "I'm spiritual, not religious".

There is no more evidence for disorganized religion than there is for organized religion. I always laugh when I hear the declaration "I'm spiritual, not religious".

So are you denying the irrational side of the human spirit, if you want to call it that? The side of humans that do not adhere to laws of logic or reason? I'm seriously asking, because it seems like you are, in order to scoff at the concept of spirituality as you do.

Note: spirituality doesn't have to mean "believe in god". Hell, I would consider a majority of the field of psychology to be dwelling on spirituality :P

*sigh* this is what I do when my pastime is unavailable...i get into pointless discussions on SC.

As for the original topic, of course there is. All you have to do is read the bible, or even a second-source book discussing the history of the Middle East region, to know. I mean, aside from all three springing from the same dude. Allah, Jehovah, and the Christian God are, of course, one and the same.

Yes, I am Christian. I am an engineer with the ability and training to think logically and rationally. I do not believe these things are mutually exclusive, and I do believe there is no conflict between religion and science. Rather, the conflict is between small-minded people unwilling to use the rational brain given to us by God. On both sides.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Allah, Jehovah, and the Christian God are, of course, one and the same.

They're similar, not the same. Whether you like it or not, the three gods differ from each other. Not that much, just enough to produce centuries of hatred between the three groups of followers.

and I do believe there is no conflict between religion and science.

That depends on the religion. In case of the Abrahamic religions: the different holy books aren't very compatible with science. So in order to avoid conflict, you've to scrap some details, like the resurrection of Jesus in case of Christianity. Spontaneous resurrection of a human being after 24+ hours is scientifically impossible. This resurrection wasn't really needed anyway, because there wouldn't have been an original sin in the first place. Evolution sort of disproves imperfection coming into the world due to people starting to sin.

So yeah, science pretty much blows Christianity out of the water

Edit: Which doesn't mean one can't be both religious and rational. But religious usually need some suspension of disbelief with things considering their religion.