JohnRich

Iran actress sentenced to one year in jail

Wow Brit - you really sound outraged :o

What do you want? The US to invade Iran?

What, *exactly*, is everyones' right outside the Iran, to interfere there?

:|

Great point! ...and similarly, if Hitler had only stayed inside Germany's borders until all the Jews were incinerated "the world" wouldn't have to deal with the problems in the Middle East that we have today. No one really would have had a right to interfere there as long as they kept their internal laws and "cultural" rituals to themselves. (Well, Iran is sponsoring foreign terrorist groups and other "freedom fighters".)

Great point! ...and similarly, if Hitler had only stayed inside Germany's borders until all the Jews were incinerated "the world" wouldn't have to deal with the problems in the Middle East that we have today. No one really would have had a right to interfere there as long as they kept their internal laws and "cultural" rituals to themselves. (Well, Iran is sponsoring foreign terrorist groups and other "freedom fighters".)

Oh man, unfortunately, I never met Hitler. What did he tell you about the Middle East?

:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

"I know it when I see it".

I see.

Not off the top of my head. You?

I just thought that if you had background to say something was NOT valid then you'd have examples that WERE valid.

No, I have no valid reasons for it myself myself.
I do understand that some DO have what THEY consider valid reasons for it, though.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Oh man, unfortunately, I never met Hitler. What did he tell you about the Middle East?

My post wasn't about the ME ...it was about meddling in another country's internal affairs. And just to clarify, by "No one really would have had a right to interfere there .....", I meant pre-ww2 Germany, not the ME. (In case that was causing some confusion).

Ah, but who's "right" is it in Iran, exactly? Not the Iranian people - they voted once thirty years ago and haven't had a real say ever since. Is it the "right" of the clerics to do whatever the hell they want simply because they're the ones at the top?

And therein lies the rub.
What WE define as "rights" is different than what other countries define as "rights".

Yes, I know that understanding that is hard for Americans...and just as hard for some UK people.

We have our own definition of "rights" and being arrogant enough to press that viewpoint on others to the extent of invading their country is not what I would call good policy.

Kinda like religion...people scream and shout about people forcing their religious beliefs on others and, here, we condone forcing our political beliefs on others.
I find it hard to justify one and not the other.

We screamed and shouted when Nikita said, "We will bury you!" But we have no problem telling another country, effectively, "We will kill you!"

And therein lies the rub.
What WE define as "rights" is different than what other countries define as "rights".

Yes, I know that understanding that is hard for Americans...and just as hard for some UK people.

yes, rights are this fuzzy concept that couldn't possibly be written down in words. LOL

The Iranian people know exactly what rights are, and how they don't currently have them. Soon...it's hard to keep educated people down the way the regime there has done.

Somehow the thread diverged into us intervening. Who raised that? We don't have to be willing to invade to say 'it's fucked up there.'

meddling in another's... affairs.

Sorry, not talking about you...just the combination of words...

A picture just popped into my mind of a nosy old biddy calling the cops to complain about oral sex going on in the house next door.

:D:D:D

I see.

Is there a point forthcoming any time soon?

I just thought that if you had background to say something was NOT valid then you'd have examples that WERE valid.

That's some fucking retarded logic.

If no reasons are valid then all suggested reasons are invalid. QED.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

yes, rights are this fuzzy concept that couldn't possibly be written down in words. LOL'

Well, they did give it the ol' college try but came up a little short, eh?
;)

meddling in another's... affairs.

Sorry, not talking about you...just the combination of words...

A picture just popped into my mind of a nosy old biddy calling the cops to complain about oral sex going on in the house next door.

I did not call the cops!>:( I was trying to order a pizza and the distraction must have caused me to mis-dial. (No! ...it was not a pocket-dial, either! :$)

:D

We have our own definition of "rights" and being arrogant enough to press that viewpoint on others to the extent of invading their country is not what I would call good policy.

Can you guys please drop the strawman of invasion? Pretty please? No-one but you "Islamic fundamentalist theocracy is just another way of doing things right" people are talking about it, and if the only defence you can come up with for the ruling in the OP is that armed invasion is worse, then you've basically got to concede the point that what's going on in the OP can't be waved away as mere cultural differences.

"Islamic fundamentalist theocracy is just another way of doing things right"

Oh, you poor, poor fellow.
So focused on one-track mind...You just don't get it, do you?
Never mind....you never will.

I see.

Is there a point forthcoming any time soon?

Yes. You make yourself out to be one mindless idiot that has no earthly clue as to what he sees and what he doesn't see. I agree with you.
*shaking head*

Reading comprehension is not your strong point is it?
Can't even remember what you wrote, "'Culture' is not a valid reason...."?

So...you don't have the background to say what's valid and what's not, eh?
Didn't think so.
Typical bozo spouting off with no brain power behind it.

Good entertainment though.

I did not call the cops!>:( I was trying to order a pizza and the distraction must have caused me to mis-dial. (No! ...it was not a pocket-dial, either! :$)

Were you ordering a large sausage pizza?
:o

You make yourself out to be one mindless idiot that has no earthly clue as to what he sees and what he doesn't see. I agree with you.

You make no sense whatsoever.

If I have no clue what's going on, then how come I've got it right?

So...you don't have the background to say what's valid and what's not, eh?

What in the name of Allah are you blabbering about?

I'll repeat it again, really slowly, so maybe your handicapped mind can follow along. If. No. Reasons. Are. Valid. Then. All. Reasons. Are. Invalid.
Including. Culture.

Typical bozo spouting off with no brain power behind it.

And yet you can't point out a single actual problem with what I've written.

In the first two occasions you say I'm wrong without giving any reason at all, and in the third you try and nitpick but use logic so demonstrably stupid you'd be kicked out of an elementary school critical thinking class.

Seriously, if you'd spend more time thinking about the content of my posts and less time blindly lashing out everytime you see my name then you just might be able to avoid making youself look like a total fool.

I'll repeat it again, really slowly,....
If. No. Reasons. Are. Valid. Then. All. Reasons. Are. Invalid.

Repeat it all you want. You'll eventually convince yourself that you actually said that initially.

You misquoted yourself. You didn't mention "No reasons" until post 59....and that was out of the blue.

And yet you can't point out a single actual problem with what I've written.

Again, reading comprehension. Reading comprehension.

In the first two occasions you say I'm wrong without giving any reason at all,

Seriously, if you'd spend more time thinking about the content of my posts....

Oh, but I DO! Well, actually not a lot though. Best comedic stupidity on the 'net, IMO!
Content (and intent) changes radically with time. It's like running a maze...you never know what's around the next corner.
:D:D

Give it up Jakee....you said culture is not a valid reason and I simply asked if you had any reasons that might be valid.

Taken at face value, I might agree with the "no valid reason" statement.

The Iranian people know exactly what rights are, and how they don't currently have them. Soon...it's hard to keep educated people down the way the regime there has done.

You've touched on something there with the "educated people" thought.

Given certain circumstances in some countries (we can use Iran if you like) it's amazing that they send so many of their youth to Western countries to be educated.

It appears to me that Western-educated youth will take Western ideas back to the homeland and comparing those ideas against the homeland just has have the homeland coming up short, wouldn't you think?

It breeds trouble back home.

One way we can help move the progression along? Help instill Western values in the foreign students?

No ...I skipped the pizza and got tacos instead.

I'll repeat it again, really slowly,....
If. No. Reasons. Are. Valid. Then. All. Reasons. Are. Invalid.

Repeat it all you want. You'll eventually convince yourself that you actually said that initially.

You misquoted yourself. You didn't mention "No reasons" until post 59....and that was out of the blue.

I have not misquoted myself one jot, nor have I forgotten what I initially said.

The problem here is entirely yours, stemming from your inability to recognise that 'not a valid reason' does not require the existence of 'a valid reason'. The only reason I brought up 'no reason' was because of your utter failure to realise that fact.

By all means, please keep digging, but don't expect to convince anyone else that if nothing is valid, then nothing is invalid. 'Cos you're being really, really stupid.

In the first two occasions you say I'm wrong without giving any reason at all,

You do get that you're proving my point, right? Has that seeped through your thick skull into your not so sizeable brain?

Monotonously repeating 'reading comprehension' without being able to point to any specific occasion where I've read something wrong is nothing more than an admittance that you're talking out of your arse.

Content (and intent) changes radically with time.

In what way do you think the content of my stated opinion has changed during the course of this thread.

First I said that culture was not a valid reason for crushing free speech, then I further stated that I could not think of any valid reasons for crushing free speech. Where on earth do you see the contradiction? Are you actually reading this in English, or is there some other language that uses those same words to mean something else completely?

Give it up Jakee....you said culture is not a valid reason and I simply asked if you had any reasons that might be valid.

To which I simply replied no.

And that is what you had a problem with. Why?

Taken at face value, I might agree with the "no valid reason" statement.

Then why aren't you taking it at face value? What is your problem with it?

Oh wait, I know this one already, it's because you let your anger and animosity overrule your logic.

No ...I skipped the pizza and got tacos instead.

:D:D
Oh hell....I just realized my faux pas.
Sorry, man.
:$