airdvr

In Amerika You Are Punished for being Successful

11-year-old football star told not to score too many touchdowns

Demias Jimerson of Malvern, Ark., is 11 years old — and he’s so good at football that “he’s going to score almost every time he touches the ball,” according to his intermediate school principal, Terri Bryant.

In other words, he’s so good he must be stopped. Because Jimerson runs circles around the other kids on the field, Bryant has decided he’s not allowed to score more than three touchdowns, provided his team has at least a 14-point lead.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/09/29/11-year-old-football-star-told-not-to-score-too-many-touchdowns/

Not vetted yet but sounds about right.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Demias Jimerson of Malvern, Ark., is 11 years old — and he’s so good at football that “he’s going to score almost every time he touches the ball,” according to his intermediate school principal, Terri Bryant.

In other words, he’s so good he must be stopped. Because Jimerson runs circles around the other kids on the field, Bryant has decided he’s not allowed to score more than three touchdowns, provided his team has at least a 14-point lead.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/09/29/11-year-old-football-star-told-not-to-score-too-many-touchdowns/

that is correct, the new america is hold everyone down until the bottom catches up. The no child left behind act is really the no child can advance until the slower ones catch up act.

that is correct, the new america is hold everyone down until the bottom catches up. The no child left behind act is really the no child can advance until the slower ones catch up act.

It's been done.

He's 11 years old...I think it's an attempt at something called Sportsmanship. But hey, if you think it a relevant to the state of "Amerika", go ahead and twist it into whatever you want.
Maybe we should do away with mercy rules also...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_rule
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

I thought that running up the score was always considered to be in very poor form in football, even at the NFL level. Notice that he is only be asked to hold back when his team has a substantial lead.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I thought that running up the score was always considered to be in very poor form in football, even at the NFL level. Notice that he is only be asked to hold back when his team has a substantial lead.

The difference is how they react to being beat. If the leader is slowing down to equal the odds the others kids are not advancing. Bringing your play down to their level does not teach them to improve their skills and it teaches them that they don't need to improve.

If the leader is slowing down to equal the odds the others kids are not advancing. Bringing your play down to their level does not teach them to improve their skills and it teaches them that they don't need to improve.

I thought mercy rules (and this) were for when the losing team is guaranteed to lose -- when a mercy rule is invoked, it's pretty clear that the losing-team kids need to improve. The winning team isn't instructed to lose, just not to win offensively.

Why do we have different classes in skydiving? Why not just one big open class, so that the people in the novice classes can understand just how far they have to improve in order to be good?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

He's 11 years old...I think it's an attempt at something called Sportsmanship. But hey, if you think it a relevant to the state of "Amerika", go ahead and twist it into whatever you want.
Maybe we should do away with mercy rules also...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_rule

the mercy or slaughter rules do not make you not work as hard or to not do your best. You do your best until they stop the game, then the others can go back and practice some more.

Bringing your play down to their level does not teach them to improve their skills and it teaches them that they don't need to improve.

But giving the ball only to one guy because he is the best at scoring touchdowns doesn't really help his teammates improve their skills either. Calling a wider range of plays when they have a comfortable lead probably IS the best strategy to teach them to improve.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I'll admit I didn't think real hard on that wording :ph34r:, but one question -- is it OK for a winning team to put in their second-stringers, or should they continue to try to kick the shit out of the losing team. Otherwise, the losers won't have as good an idea of how much they suck.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'll admit I didn't think real hard on that wording :ph34r:, but one question -- is it OK for a winning team to put in their second-stringers, or should they continue to try to kick the shit out of the losing team. Otherwise, the losers won't have as good an idea of how much they suck.

Wendy P.

You let your 1st string work hard and do their best, this gives the other team a bar they need to reach. The second string needs work to so they should play also. Normally the 2nd string in these games are better than the weaker teams 1st string and that will still provide a higher bar to try to achieve.

The winning team isn't instructed to lose, just not to win offensively

:D:D:D:D

And Barry wonders how we 'lost our competitive edge'.

Nah...they're just going to implement a "Buffett Jimerson rule" and give the points from his extra touchdowns to the other team... ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

This isn't win-at-any-cost pro football, its a bunch of 11-YOs having some fun and learning sportsmanship with a classmate who may be the next-generation NFL star--and good for him.

It would be better all the way around to let Demias move up a grade and play with older kids:
1) Challenge him more to become even better.
2) Motivate those older kids to play their best.
3) Let the other 11-YOs get some more play time in a league/class that's appropriate for their ability.

edit to ad: Many sports have classes, and these are more often based on ability than age.

Well, it did for me.
After 3 seasons of losing to the same team 4 times per season at scores of 20-0, 20-1 30-2, etc, etc. it made me strive to get better so that I could try out for THAT team!
Never made it though.

I did have one consolation.
All three seasons, I was the only one on our team to score against them suckers. Every time it went like this:
Get on first, steal 2nd, 3rd AND home before the third out was made. Getting home before the third out was the real challenge.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Related to the OP:

Talking about dumbing down of America how about grading on a curve in school.
So...you don't have to actually learn anything or do well, you just have to suck less than your classmates to get the A.

True story:
In college I made 38% on a test and got an A. I was embarrassed as hell.
I took my paper to the prof and gave it back to him saying, "Thanks for the A but you haven't taught me a damned thing and this paper proves that I didn't learn a damned thing."
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>In college I made 38% on a test and got an A. I was embarrassed as hell.

I had a class like that - signals and systems. I'd get 50% on a test and get a B. Invariably Amazing Rob would get a 96 or something. I also learned a tremendous amount.

>I took my paper to the prof and gave it back to him saying, "Thanks for the A but you
>haven't taught me a damned thing and this paper proves that I didn't learn a damned
>thing."

Hmm. Should they have dumbed down the test so people could get higher grades?

Perfect example of why we're getting soft.

If you're getting your ass beat, suck less.

Got kids of your own? Tell your 11-year-old son he sucks and see how much that "helps" him. Being physically strong and being a good ball player are two seperate attributes.

No, but I was a kid myself and did many competitive sports, both team and one on one. Rugby, tennis, soccer, skiing, taekwondo.

If I got my ass beat I tried harder next time. Nobody had to tell me I sucked, nor did I advocate explicitly stating so to children, losing and losing badly convey that message succinctly enough.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo