CanuckInUSA

Mr Gorbachev Tear Down this Wall

How many people old enough, remember this historic speech?

Short Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLBsOz8lPhI

Longer Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjWDrTXMgF8

Oh how times have changes in the last 24 years.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110929/us-canada-border-proposed-fencing-110929/20110929/?hub=EdmontonHome

Looks like some people in the USA want to build a wall around their own country. I have always thought of myself as a friend of the USA, but this is over the top. Building walls is no fucking solution. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

You've got the right idea, but an analogy failure. If the US invaded Mexico and seized half the country, and built a wall bisecting Mexico City, and you compared them, it'd work.

This is a completely different brand of stupidity. So while I agree with you, your analogy just hurts your case.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

This is a completely different brand of stupidity. So while I agree with you, your analogy just hurts your case.

If I had the skills and tools to quickly make a Reagan CGI video of him saying "Mr Obama [or whoever the next president is] don't build this wall", I would. But it was much easier/quicker just to search for this historic Reagan speech. I would like to know one thing (not directed at any specific person here), would this new wall be for keeping people out or keeping them in?

I have to admit that I'm old enough to remember it. (Won't be long and I'll be old enough to not remember it.:S)

I think we should build the wall but design the watchtowers so that the gun turrets can be pointed in either direction. Then it would have a special purpose no matter which ideology is in power. That'll save some money if we can keep "the center" from tearing it down. (I really do have all the answers :)

And David Hasselhoff giving a free concert when the wall came down

Oh dude that is a memory I could have done without. It is almost as bad as this.

The supplied link is safe for work in that there is no nudity, not safe for work if you vomit easily. :D

>We'll need to hire a hell of a lot of illegals to build a fence that long.

That works out; that way they'll know its weaknesses better than anyone.

When Amy landed in Tijuana all the ten year olds ran up to her, showed her the hole in the fence that her parachute would fit through, then took her to the dirt ramp they had built up so she could more easily climb over.

I have always thought of myself as a friend of the USA, but this is over the top. Building walls is no fucking solution.

That makes two of us.

I'm old enough to have lived through the era of rampant anti-American sentiment in Canada in the late 60's and early 70's. At the rate the goodwill built up over the last 35 years is being squandered, I can see one of the federal political parties adding some hostile planks in their election platform. And once again, the powers in the south will ask, "why do they seem to hate us?" Sigh..........

>We'll need to hire a hell of a lot of illegals to build a fence that long.

That works out; that way they'll know its weaknesses better than anyone.

When Amy landed in Tijuana all the ten year olds ran up to her, showed her the hole in the fence that her parachute would fit through, then took her to the dirt ramp they had built up so she could more easily climb over.

A thought I had and would like to get some imput on. Why not build 2 or 3 military bases along the border and use the desolate area for training and could double as border protection. then close a few other military bases in other areas that could be developed into something useful?

>Why not build 2 or 3 military bases along the border and use the desolate area for
>training and could double as border protection. then close a few other military bases in
>other areas that could be developed into something useful?

Sure, that could work. But we have about 7000 miles of border and a big military base is - what? - ten miles across? That's 1% of the total coverage we'd need.

Because control of the border is a law enforcement function and the military are prohibited by possee comitatus* law. They could be used to spot illegal crossings (I believe), but any action against the illegals would still have to be taken by law enforcement officials.

* There are certain exceptions to posse comitatus, but none of them appear to be applicable to guarding the border.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Why not build 2 or 3 military bases along the border and use the desolate area for
>training and could double as border protection. then close a few other military bases in

Sure, that could work. But we have about 7000 miles of border and a big military base is - what? - ten miles across? That's 1% of the total coverage we'd need.

several military bases cover more area that ten miles when you add in the area for testing weapons. the notion of getting blown up would make a couple think twice about crossing. It would make those crossing go to other areas but that would just make those areas easier to patrol.

several military bases cover more area that ten miles when you add in the area for testing weapons. the notion of getting blown up would make a couple think twice about crossing. It would make those crossing go to other areas but that would just make those areas easier to patrol.

The Avon Park Bombing Range in central Florida is a popular hunting/fishing/recreation area and is still an active bombing and gunnery range. Plenty of fish, wildlife and unexploded ordnance to keep the place interesting.

>several military bases cover more area that ten miles when you add in the area for testing weapons.

Right. But you can't patrol weapons ranges effectively - no base commander is going to tell his people "go patrol that canyon where all that unexploded ordinance is."

>several military bases cover more area that ten miles when you add in the area for testing weapons.

Right. But you can't patrol weapons ranges effectively - no base commander is going to tell his people "go patrol that canyon where all that unexploded ordinance is."

yes but there would be a fence with cameras on it.

>yes but there would be a fence with cameras on it.

We got that already. Doesn't seem to stop people.

you need to have people go and arest those caught on camera and we really don't have enough to arrest them all, to much ground to cover. but by putting in bases it would reduce the ground that imigration would need to cover.

>you need to have people go and arest those caught on camera . . .

. . . which is the problem with putting it on one side of a weapons range.

"You gonna go arrest that guy out where we lost that fuel-air bomb?"
"Hell no."

followed by

"Hey amigo you just cross right over there; they never send la nigra into that valley."

Because control of the border is a law enforcement function and the military are prohibited by possee comitatus* law. They could be used to spot illegal crossings (I believe), but any action against the illegals would still have to be taken by law enforcement officials.

* There are certain exceptions to posse comitatus, but none of them appear to be applicable to guarding the border.

last I heard they could detain anyone on the base property for trespassing and then turn them over the the local police.

Looks like some people in the USA want to build a wall around their own country. I have always thought of myself as a friend of the USA, but this is over the top. Building walls is no fucking solution. :S

I would think that if the Obama administration were to build a wall on the northern border, the purpose wouldn't so much be to keep the Canadians out. It would more be about keeping Sarah Palin in Alaska ;):) .
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014