JohnRich

Armed Citizens

In fact its possible that those who live in cities and are involved with Cadet units are most likely the most proficient with firearms.

This covers me. I've been shooting since I was about 12 or 13 since my school had a fairly large C.C.F. unit (even though I was in the RAF section for the free flying lessons) and got tons of experience on the SA80 as well as the .22 Lee Enfield No.8. They taught us about maintenance and cleaning as well as respect and accuracy. I think at one point I was going through about 30-40 rounds a week on the No.8 B| Happy days.

eta: For what it's worth I'm about as city as they come, lived in London all my life.

It was the same for me, except the weapons also included the Lee Enfield 303, the 7.62 SLR and AK47 on occasion.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

How would you say kids in the country differ from kids in the city in the U.K.? Do they have a greater respect towards firearms?

I don't think they differ much if any at all. In fact its possible that those who live in cities and are involved with Cadet units are most likely the most proficient with firearms. Country kids simply don't have that much to do with firearms, maybe the odd shot gun but thats about it. Not really the same kind of hunting over here. Grouse and partridge, & theres deer hunting but that is expensive and tends to be the realm of middle and upper class businessmen. Target shooting, Clay pigeon/skeet, or the military are more likely the routes to firearms in the UK.

Dangerous beasts, those skeets.

So how do you stave off an attack by a grizzly bear?

Simple, don't go to the Zoo.

The UK sounds like it sucks...no wonder my relatives seem like such a bunch of wankers...

*except for my cuz Chris...he can't wait to get over here. Free at last free at last!:)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

.no wonder my relatives seem like such a bunch of wankers...

There could be an alternative explanation. :D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Jammy bastard :D. Though in fairness I was 1) doing it through school and 2) getting it all for free. Well apart from the £55 yearly membership but it's really peanuts compared to the benefits. We had our own underground range so we could go straight from geography or something to target practice. All in all not bad for someone in the U.K, dontcha think :P

Lucky LimeyB|
The only time that I got to fire weapons for free was during familiarization fire off of the ships fantail when I was in the Navy. Got to shoot some cool stuff. M60s, M16s, 50 cal machine gun mounted and anything else they had in the ships armory. I have a 50 cal round that I drilled the casing to remove the powder and fire the primer. I also have part of a bandolier with spent casings from the Vulcan Phalanx, as well as a few dummy rounds. Now, that Phalanx, that's a gun!;):D

Yeah well...screw you!!! :D:D
I have what you could describe as military ambitions so hopefully I'll soon be shooting so often I'll be sick of it.
Question about the drilled .50 round, was that to thread it or what? I didn't know you could drill into live ammo.

In fact its possible that those who live in cities and are involved with Cadet units are most likely the most proficient with firearms.

This covers me. I've been shooting since I was about 12 or 13 since my school had a fairly large C.C.F. unit (even though I was in the RAF section for the free flying lessons) and got tons of experience on the SA80 as well as the .22 Lee Enfield No.8. They taught us about maintenance and cleaning as well as respect and accuracy. I think at one point I was going through about 30-40 rounds a week on the No.8 B| Happy days.

eta: For what it's worth I'm about as city as they come, lived in London all my life.

It was the same for me, except the weapons also included the Lee Enfield 303, the 7.62 SLR and AK47 on occasion.

That's pretty cool. Like I said, I was in the RAF section of the CCF (wedgewood blues and all) but I hear the army guys got time on some other interesting weapons. We had to make do with flying upside down and experiencing zero gravity. It's a hard life :P

Question about the drilled .50 round, was that to thread it or what? I didn't know you could drill into live ammo.

You can drill in to live ammo, but have to be careful. We did them on the drill press in our shop with very thick plate in front of the round in case it were to fire . Drill slow with coolant, and lite pressure to keep the material from getting hot, so not to ignite the powder. We did quite a few of them for guys on the ship who wanted one.
I got the Phalanx bandolier after the first time it was fired on the ship. I was down below the gun watching for leaks on the cooling system. I was one of the guys who installed it during the ship's refit. Funny thing, we did not install the overboard discharge for the hot cooling water as it was not on the blueprints. We did as the engineer told us to do and no one gave it any thought. The first time the weapon was fired, it flooded the load room and part of medical over-flow. We had to cut a hole into the side of the ship and install the discharge while at sea. It was fun hanging over the side to weld the components while the ship rocked and rolled. After that, all was fine and the operation continued.
The Phalanx I'm speaking of can be seen in the LPH3 photo. It's the aft gun. There is another one on the flight deck in front of the super structure.
In photo, also, I'm manning the rail up front on the starboard side of the ship. I always volunteered to man the rail instead of sitting in one of the damage control lockers. Often women in boats would flash the sailors. Best part of manning the rails;)
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Yeah, that sounds pretty risky to me. The best way to create a dummy round from a live round is to pull the bullet out, dump the powder, fire the primer, then re-seat the bullet. And only then drill a hole in the side of the case as an indicator that it is empty of powder and safe to dry fire with.

Drilling into a live round might cause a spark from the drill bit or from static electricity, that could blow your face off.

I have made up dummy rounds for all the calibers that I shoot, so that after disassembling a gun for cleaning, and re-assembly, I can test the functionality to make sure everything still works properly, like chambering and ejection.

Attached: .50 cal. round, dummy, drilled.

Yeah, that sounds pretty risky to me.

That is what I thought. The guys in the shop who have been onboard longer than I had done it before. We did a crap load of them without any problem. The ship's Gunny Sargent supplied the rounds. For a gruff old grunt, he was a real nice guy, when he wasn't yelling at someone. He retired while onboard.

Drilling into a live round might cause a spark from the drill bit or from static electricity, that could blow your face off.

We drilled at low speed and kept coolant flowing. Seemed to work fine.
Neil Young

What is most striking to me about the London riots is people have no way to defend their property or livelihoods. The cops are just taking pictures... Incredible.

oh yea, you sure want to pull a gun on an angry mob. i hope you have your gatling-gun mounted and ready before your body is torn to bits.. :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

other than that, when you're being looted, your insurance-company will cover the cost of that. no need to shoot someone..

but hey, that's in a civilised, and not a 3rd world country..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

What is most striking to me about the London riots is people have no way to defend their property or livelihoods. The cops are just taking pictures... Incredible.

oh yea, you sure want to pull a gun on an angry mob. i hope you have your gatling-gun mounted and ready before your body is torn to bits.. :S

Right because these looters are soooo courageous. No doubt they would charge into gunfire. :S

You shoot one the rest will run back to the safety of their moms basement.

Right because these looters are soooo courageous. No doubt they would charge into gunfire. :S

You shoot one the rest will run back to the safety of their moms basement.

Sure slowed shit down at Kent State. And with relatively few rounds fired. Like it or not, it works.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

but hey, that's in a civilised, and not a 3rd world country..

The looters are choosing to act in a 3rd world manner, I have no qualms in dealing with them in the same way.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The looters are choosing to act in a 3rd world manner...

That's kind of insulting.....to the 3rd world. Most people in the 3rd world are quite adept at fending for themselves, as there is no-one else to do it for them. Being poor does not automatically equate to lack of morals. The sense of entitlement (society OWES me a plasma TV, dammit!) is a 1st world malaise.

Don

No one did anything at Kent State that justified the National Guard opening fire. One of the girls that was killed was walking to class that day. The National Guard panicked because they were poorly trained and poorly disciplined. But, yeah, if you open fire with live ammunition on a bunch of unarmed college kids, it will sure slow them down.

>Sure slowed shit down at Kent State.

But also gave the protesters the ammunition they needed (no pun intended) - and their small protest became one of the most effective protests the US has ever seen.

The UK should probably think twice about giving the rioters that sort of ammunition.

having a gun pulled on you also happens mostly in 3rd world countries, and the US - oh wait.. :D

Yes, I get guns pulled on me all the time... but I draw just a little bit faster.B|

Plus, we have two oceans, What do you have?

water we can drink from the tab? four official languages? the alps? health care? and about a gazillion lakes and rivers you can actually SWIM in.. who the fuck needs an ocean!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Sure slowed shit down at Kent State. And with relatively few rounds fired. Like it or not, it works.

You do have a distorted view of what works.

From Wiki:
29 of the 77 guardsmen claimed to have fired their weapons, using a final total of 67 rounds of ammunition.

The shootings killed four students and wounded nine. Two of the four students killed, Allison Krause and Jeffrey Miller, had participated in the protest, and the other two, Sandra Scheuer and William Knox Schroeder, had been walking from one class to the next at the time of their deaths. Schroeder was also a member of the campus ROTC chapter. Of those wounded, none was closer than 71 feet to the guardsmen. Of those killed, the nearest (Miller) was 265 feet away, and their average distance from the guardsmen was 345 feet. The guardsmen claimed they fired in self-defense.

Just five days after the shootings, 100,000 people demonstrated in Washington, D.C., against the war and the killing of unarmed student protesters.

Killed (and approximate distance from the National Guard):

Jeffrey Glenn Miller; age 20; 265 ft (81 m) shot through the mouth; killed instantly

Allison B. Krause; age 19; 343 ft (105 m) fatal left chest wound; died later that day

William Knox Schroeder; age 19; 382 ft (116 m) fatal chest wound; died almost an hour later in a hospital while undergoing surgery

Sandra Lee Scheuer; age 20; 390 ft (120 m) fatal neck wound; died a few minutes later from loss of blood

Wounded (and approximate distance from the National Guard):

Joseph Lewis Jr.; 71 ft (22 m); hit twice in the right abdomen and left lower leg

John R. Cleary; 110 ft (34 m); upper left chest wound

Thomas Mark Grace; 225 ft (69 m); struck in left ankle

Alan Michael Canfora; 225 ft (69 m); hit in his right wrist

Dean R. Kahler; 300 ft (91 m); back wound fracturing the vertebrae, permanently paralyzed from the chest down

Douglas Alan Wrentmore; 329 ft (100 m); hit in his right knee

James Dennis Russell; 375 ft (114 m); hit in his right thigh from a bullet and in the right forehead by birdshot, both wounds minor

Robert Follis Stamps; 495 ft (151 m); hit in his right buttock

Donald Scott MacKenzie; 750 ft (230 m); neck wound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings
Neil Young