JohnRich

Florida: Cities can’t ban guns in parks, town halls

News:
Cities can’t ban guns in parks, town halls

Under a new law that takes effect Oct. 1, all of the state’s cities and counties must repeal local rules limiting gun ownership. Although the state has claimed sole right to regulate firearms since 1987, this year’s new law adds fines for local officials who fail to comply, and gives gun owners a right to sue for damages if they believe their rights have been violated.

Though the initial bill suggested a fine of $5 million, the final legislation lowered the amount to $5,000.

The result: Local leaders have begun to comply, cancelling laws that kept guns out of parks and community buildings, and taking down signs warning visitors not to bring firearms to such places.
Full story: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/31/2340997/state-lawmakers-cities-cant-ban.html

This is called "preemption", whereby the state reserves the right to regulate guns, and prohibits local governments from doing so. Previously, there were no punishment provisions, so that local municipalities could violate the preemption law at will. And that created a patchwork quilt set of laws, equivalent to speed traps for driving offenses, that ensnared law-abiding citizens in trouble, for simply setting foot someplace where they didn't know that guns were prohibited. This new law puts enforcement teeth into the state preemption, and will keep innocent citizens from getting into trouble because of laws which vary from place to place within their daily travels.

Oh, look:

A gun thread. :)

What a surprise: Offered by Mr. John Rich.

:)

Oh look. Some one with no dog in the fight, sticking a nose where it doesn't belong.

Do you see Mr. Rich posting german pro-gun news?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Oh, look:

Oh look. Some one with no dog in the fight, sticking a nose where it doesn't belong.

:D:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Oh, look:

No, as he cannot speak German.

On this website, I put my nose into what I want.

But you and Mr. Rich always are welcome to the German forum.

Yeah. B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Oh, look:

Yeah. B|

Gehen Sie zurück zu Ihrem Essen Wurst und trinken ihr Bier!:P
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Oh, look:

Wait! JR lives in Florida? I thought he was in Texas. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Good for Florida!

Can a city, or even a state, restrict the BOR? I can understand regulation, but wouldn't restricting the 2nd be the same as restricting the 1st?

In theory I think the second amendment provides a stronger protection than the first

The First Amendment says what Congress can't do, remaining silent on the several states

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

who the Tenth Amendment says are free to do anything not forbidden to them

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The Second Amendment doesn't limit itself like that

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

although one could construe the 14th amendment as including state governments in the first amendment's protection

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

In practice congress and the states get _lot_ of latitude.

Good for Florida!

Can a city, or even a state, restrict the BOR? I can understand regulation, but wouldn't restricting the 2nd be the same as restricting the 1st? or 3-9?

"Although we do not undertake an exhaustive historical analysis today of the full scope of the Second Amendment, nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms."; Justice Antonin Scalia, writing for the majority in the Heller decision.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Good for Florida!

Can a city, or even a state, restrict the BOR? I can understand regulation, but wouldn't restricting the 2nd be the same as restricting the 1st? or 3-9?

"Although we do not undertake an exhaustive historical analysis today of the full scope of the Second Amendment, nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms."; Justice Antonin Scalia, writing for the majority in the Heller decision.

Which has NOTHING to do with a state law pre-empting a city/county law.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Oh, look:

Yeah. B|

Gehen Sie zurück zu Ihrem Essen Wurst und trinken ihr Bier!:P

Google translator is not everyone's cup of tea :P

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Good for Florida!

Who said it did? It was an answer to "lost n confuzd"'s question: Can a city, or even a state, restrict the BOR?

The 2nd Amendment CAN be restricted, according to SCOTUS as articulated by Scalia.

The 2nd Amendment CAN be restricted, according to SCOTUS as articulated by Scalia.

And that restriction would be absolute if you had your way
Abraham Lincoln

Good for Florida!

Who said it did? It was an answer to "lost n confuzd"'s question: Can a city, or even a state, restrict the BOR?

Yeah? Ask Chicago how well they did in the McDonald case.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Good for Florida!

Yeah? Ask Chicago how well they did in the McDonald case.

Irrelevant to the point. The 2nd is not an unlimited right, as Scalia and the SCOTUS have clearly stated.

"nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms."

Heller is irrelevant to the issue at hand in Florida, regardless of how many times you cut/paste it. Florida already has statutes that cover weapons in schools and gov't buildings.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Heller is irrelevant to the issue at hand in Florida, regardless of how many times you cut/paste it. Florida already has statutes that cover weapons in schools and gov't buildings.

As I wrote previously, I was answering a specific question posed in this thread and that you have now CONVENIENTLY snipped, NOT referring to Florida. Take some reading lessons.

So you think the entire population of the USA consists of convicted felons or loonies.

It may come as a surprise, but not everyone is like you.

As I wrote previously, I was answering a specific question posed in this thread and that you have now CONVENIENTLY snipped, NOT referring to Florida. Take some reading lessons.

And your answer was incorrect, as shown by McDonald v. Chicago and my response above....regardless of how you bold it.

Take some legal lessons.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And your answer was incorrect, as shown by McDonald v. Chicago and my response above....regardless of how you bold it.

Take some legal lessons.

Try taking a gun into Chicago's City Hall and see how you get on.

Take some legal lessons.

Try taking a gun into Chicago's City Hall and see how you get on.

Why would I? I'm sure IL state law prevents it, *just like FL law does*.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So you think the entire population of the USA consists of convicted felons or loonies.

It may come as a surprise, but not everyone is like you.

Another example of your dishonesty debating a topic
Abraham Lincoln