Belgian_Draft

Forced "Respect"

So much for free speach

"Casey Anthony wasn't the only one on trial Thursday in Judge Belvin Perry's courtroom. A 28-year-old spectator was found in contempt of court for giving the middle finger to a prosecutor."
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I hope, he and his middle-finger got tossed out of the courtroom! I don't care if, the judge is an idiot, the prosecutor is an ass-hole and the defense is a slobbering dolt... it's a courtroom and if, a spectator cannot show respect, the door to that room swings both ways!

Chuck

Tossed from the courtroom I can agree with. But not a fine or jail time.
If the judge is an idiot, the prosecutor is an ass-hole and the defense is a slobbering dolt, then what respect does the court deserve? Respect must be earned, not demanded.
HAMMER:

i will have to disagree with you on this one. like they told us in the army, respect the rank, not the person. same thing applies here. i have no love for the government or the court system, but if i were there, i would act as if i did
http://kitswv.com

Don't agree -.. It's not the people that you show respect for it's the Institution ... A bit like saluting Officers in the military - you are saluting the uniform and the rank NOT the person.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

You can't seriously believe that freedom of speech exists for a spectator in a court of law for a murder trial? It would be completely unfair for any defendant to have spectators from the peanut gallery demonstrating their opinions to the judge or jury.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Seems to me, so many people 'demand' respect but don't earn it. Whether or not one agrees with what goes on in a courtroom, it is still a courtroom. It's not about the spectators it's about someone getting a fair trial. If, a person cannot control themselves they don't need to be there.

Chuck

i will have to disagree with you on this one. like they told us in the army, respect the rank, not the person. same thing applies here. i have no love for the government or the court system, but if i were there, i would act as if i did

Hmmm... just a slight change and:

I will have to disagree with you on this one. Like they told us in the GDR, respect the rank, not the person. Same thing applies here.

Just my 2 Eurocents.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

The court is not a Free Speech zone. This is the reason why certain matters are not stated in court.

How would you like it is the 50/50 juror is wondering about this case. Oops - she saw one of the defendant's supporters get rude and flip off the prossecutor. So these are the people she has as friends? Okay. She IS the sort of person that would do this.

Courtrooms are sterile. The reasons why they are controlled are to provide a fair trial. Actions by the attorneys, witnesses, juries and spectators are tightly controlled. Somebody wants to flip off the prosecutor? Fine - do it in the hall outside of the courthouse. But inside the courtroom? You are now a fucking asshole who is looking at trying to cause a mistrial.

Thanks to this guy for giving the asshole prosecutor a chance to use some legal process to make this worse. I'm glad he was found in summary contempt. I think the sentence was just about right.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Don't agree -.. It's not the people that you show respect for it's the Institution ... A bit like saluting Officers in the military - you are saluting the uniform and the rank NOT the person.

Well, it just so happens that I have very little, if any, respect for the court system. :P
HAMMER:

DIt's not the people that you show respect for it's the Institution ... A bit like saluting Officers in the military - you are saluting the uniform and the rank NOT the person.

So, what if the finger was for the institution and not the person...would that make it OK?

Here's to you Prosecutor's Office!

Oh and just because I'm an equal opportunity offender, here's one for the Judge's Office, too!

Oh, I'm on a roll...
-Police departments
-Goobermint offices of all types
-Insurance salesmen
-Mothers-in-law

WoooHooo!

I feel much better now.
:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Courtrooms are sterile.

Umm. No. Although that is the ideal, it is not the reality. What is truly sad is what makes it so. A great majority of the bias that enters the process is introduced by counsel, the judiciary, or even advocates.

UCLA School of Law Symposium: Implicit Bias in the Courtroom. 3rd March 2011.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

-Police departments
-Goobermint offices of all types
-Insurance salesmen
-Mothers-in-law

LMAO! "Mother nature, mother in-laws, and mother fuckin Ukrainians!" :D

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

Absolutely! There IS bias in the courtroom. Having tried cases before a jury (and dozens of bench trials) I am more than well aware of it. HEck, when after my first jury trial the judge told me that I should have fought dirty trick with dirty tricks of my own, that says plenty.

Our biases are played out, but there is some control over it. Attorneys get suspended or disbarred for stuff this guy did because of the natural andd probable consequences. My duty is to be a "zealous advocate" and not an "advocating zealot."

Again - I do not disagree with you. However, the nature of what this guy did goes well beyond. And I DO NOT LIKE prosecutors.

My wife is hotter than your wife.