jclalor

Texas police beleive in Psychics

Can you believe that in the twenty first century, and in one of the most advanced western countries in the world, That a PD would even consider listening to a psychic.

They didn't "turn to" the psychic, the psychic called them.

Quote:
"The sheriff's office had received two calls from the person, officials said. Evans said authorities took the tip seriously in part because the caller had details about the interior of the house that only someone who had seen it could have known...

"McNair said deputies found blood on a back door and detected a foul odor coming from the house, leading to the search warrant..."
So, you're suggesting that police should have just ignored a tip about a mass murder? That the deputies shouldn't follow-up on such tips and check them out? That when the deputies find blood and a foul odor that they should do nothing?

I'm glad that these cops were doing what they did, instead of following your advice.

Can you believe that in the twenty first century, and in one of the most advanced western countries in the world, That a PD would even consider listening to a psychic.

They didn't "turn to" the psychic, the psychic called them.

Quote:
"The sheriff's office had received two calls from the person, officials said. Evans said authorities took the tip seriously in part because the caller had details about the interior of the house that only someone who had seen it could have known...

"McNair said deputies found blood on a back door and detected a foul odor coming from the house, leading to the search warrant..."
So, you're suggesting that police should have just ignored a tip about a mass murder? That the deputies shouldn't follow-up on such tips and check them out? That when the deputies find blood and a foul odor that they should do nothing?

I'm glad that these cops were doing what they did, instead of following your advice.

An absolute waste of resources and only encourages more nuts to contact the police and waste their time. Police do not go to them, they go to the police and on occasion the police listen to them, and they never provide any useful information.

"No psychic detective has ever been praised or given official recognition by the FBI or US national news for solving a crime, preventing a crime, or finding a kidnap victim or corpse."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_detective

A total waste of time.

Police have hotlines for people to call when they see evidence of a crime. Maybe the police took the call as a legitimate tip, rather than as a psychic vision.

Last I heard they were looking into pressing charges against this person for giving a false tip. I hope they do. It would teach other "psychics" a lesson to stick to their tarot cards and gullible clients, rather than wasting law enforcement's time.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Can you believe that in the twenty first century, and in one of the most advanced western countries in the world, That a PD would even consider listening to a psychic. what an absolute waste of resources.

Hey, hey, hey! If Allison Dubois can help Manuel Devalos solve crimes there must be something to it!

they never provide any useful information.

What if a self-professed psychic witnesses an actual murder, and she tells the police about it.
Should the police then ignore her simply because she's a psychic?

yes JR... this is EXACTLY what JC is saying... :|
Remster

Maybe the police took the call as a legitimate tip, rather than as a psychic vision.

Well, the local paper said that there was a strong smell of rotting meat and blood spilled at an unoccupied house. Those would probably justify checking out.

They wouldn't justify telling the press that it might be the site of a mass murder. Of course, if the "psychic" was the one who told the press that, well, ya know -- I can't think of anything the LEO did wrong, then.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm creeped out by the fact that there was an attempted suicide there several weeks ago and the blood was still on the door. haven't these people heard of soap and water? Maybe a nice fresh coat of paint?

We're talking East Texas here :P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm creeped out by the fact that there was an attempted suicide there several weeks ago and the blood was still on the door. haven't these people heard of soap and water? Maybe a nice fresh coat of paint?

It may be because of it being a Bio Hazard. It may need to be cleaned up by a specialty company. If an insurance claim was made for the clean up it may take some time (red tape) to get it taken care of.

It may be because of it being a Bio Hazard. It may need to be cleaned up by a specialty company. If an insurance claim was made for the clean up it may take some time (red tape) to get it taken care of.

Probably required a bio-hazard clean-up permit and that held up the process. Then there's the scheduling difficulties with the owner being a long distance truck driver. You know how these govt. agencies can be.

I remember the old days when we would have scrubbed it with a little bleach, some soap and water and then repainted it. Didn't even need a permit back then. I feel like such a dinosaur. :(

Wendy P.

Well, then there's that reality. :D

Wendy P.

And its not even Passover season yet.

What if a self-professed psychic witnesses an actual murder, and she tells the police about it.

What you stated are not the facts of the case.

The Cost of Psychics
Posted on June 9, 2011 by peicurmudgeon
The facts are these.

Earlier this week, the police in Liberty County, Texas received a tip that as many as 30 dismembered children’s bodies were buried at a property in Hardin. The police followed up, and found nothing at the address. The psychic, known as Angel, called back and told them they were at the wrong house. They showed up at the second house and found blood on the porch and noticed a strong foul odour. On this basis, a search warrant was issued, and in came the 15 car loads of reinforcements, the tracker dogs, and the FBI.

The media picked up the story and it immediately went viral.

After spending over $1m, they found a pile of rotting garbage and identified the blood on the porch as belonging to a failed suicide attempt of a family friend.

Upon hearing this, Angel said no,the police didn’t listen to her, they were supposed to be looking for 3 missing children.

Angel said she has had visions her entire life and after confiding with two friends who were having similar visions that three children could be in trouble, she contacted the Liberty County Sheriff’s Office Monday.

She strongly denied telling officers that they needed to search for bodies or that anyone was dead.

“They did not act on what I told them,” she said. “My biggest concern is definitely the children,” she added. “I think they are hungry and thirsty. They are still alive.”

The police obviously bought into the foolishness. It is certainly reasonable to follow up on a tip, however it comes in. Someone may claim to be a psychic to cover up actual knowledge of a crime, but it seems to me that they could have evaluated the blood and garbage without bringing in such a large team. They must have expected to find some major crime to justify such a large presence.

It isn’t as if there is a great history of psychics solving crimes

“These guys don’t solve cases, and the media consistently gets it wrong,” says Michael Corn, an investigative producer for Inside Edition who produced a story last May debunking psychic detectives. Moreover, the FBI and the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children maintain that to their knowledge, psychic detectives have never helped solve a single missing-person case.

Even renowned psychic Sylvia Browne has a success rate of exactly 0. In a 2010 study, sceptics evaluate her claim to having an 85% accuracy rate. They look at

Browne’s comments to the press and on television about missing persons and criminal cases. No case was excluded. We have listed each case Browne made predictions about as well as provided a reference or broadcast date. When we began to research this, we expected Browne to have been correct at least a few times, but as the list demonstrates, she was not. The references show that the only cases in which Browne was not proven wrong are those that remain unsolved.

In several cases, she told grieving families that their children or spouses were still alive, albeit involved in drugs 0r sold into sexual slavery. Eventually it was shown that most had died within hours of disappearing, and none had met the fate Browne ‘saw‘.

People go see psychics all the time. They are in every village, town, and city. Mostly people go for advice on their love lives, or to look for future career or financial advice. Many go to contact loved ones who have died, and are sorely missed. Most of this is relatively harmless entertainment, however, there can be some real damage done.

Most psychics fall into two categories, those who truly believe they have ‘the sight‘, and those who are scam artists. The techniques they use, consciously or unconsciously include ‘cold reading‘, or using vague guesses and body language to convince the client the psychic knows things (as in the TV show ‘The Mentallist’); and ‘hot reading‘, where the psychic researches the mark first, either by themselves or with the aid of accomplices or microphones. The frauds often prey on the recently bereaved as a means of separating the vulnerable from their money.

We can’t know the motivations behind Angel and the Hardin (non)massacre. Did she truly believe she was going to help or was she merely looking for attention, perhaps to expand her client base. Chances are, this case will fade from the public eye before we find that out, and Angel will continue making her predictions.

What you stated are not the facts of the case.

I didn't say they were. I asked you a hypothetical question, unrelated to this case, based upon your stated view of psychics and how police should deal with them. Can you answer it?