JohnRich

More Guns, Less Crime

More Guns:
Firearms Ownership Rises

"The largest surge in firearms sales occurred from late 2008 into 2010, and, according to an NSSF report, an estimated 34.4 million people went target shooting in 2009, the largest number ever..."

Full story: http://www.nssf.org/bulletpoints/current.cfm
Less Crime:
Preliminary Annual Crime Statistics for 2010

"According to the FBI’s Preliminary Annual Uniform Crime Report released today, the nation experienced a 5.5 percent decrease in the number of violent crimes and a 2.8 percent decline in the number of property crimes in 2010 when compared with data from 2009. The report is based on information the FBI gathered from 13,007 law enforcement agencies that submitted six to 12 comparable months of data for both 2009 and 2010..."

Full story: http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-preliminary-annual-crime-statistics-for-2010

Oh yeah??

well,,,,some obscure country somewhere that doesn't have guns has a statistically insignificant lower rate of violent crimes than the US. AND, they have social health care too - so even if someone gets shot, they can have the bullet removed for FREE. Because of that, they can even DEFINE being shot as a non-violent crime - bringing their rate down even lower......for the children

so there :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

uh....

"an estimated 34.4 million people went target shooting in 2009, the largest number ever..."

and

"the nation experienced a 5.5 percent decrease in the number of violent crimes and a 2.8 percent decline in the number of property crimes in 2010 when compared with data from 2009,"

Uh, John, can you guess where we go next? Target shooting is correlated with crime!

uh....

"an estimated 34.4 million people went target shooting in 2009, the largest number ever..."

and

"the nation experienced a 5.5 percent decrease in the number of violent crimes and a 2.8 percent decline in the number of property crimes in 2010 when compared with data from 2009,"

Uh, John, can you guess where we go next? Target shooting is correlated with crime!

depends on exactly HOW the person is holding the target

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

To my detractors: I have never claimed any correlation between more guns being the cause for less crime. Those who have followed the series of post like this from me, realize that. But it doesn't stop someone every time from claiming that I am.

But the long string of such trends, year after year, with gun ownership increasing and crime decreasing, tends to refute the anti-gun idea that more guns causes more crime. They, the gun-o-phobes, are the ones trying to make a correlation. I'm simply proving them wrong.

Crime is not determined by the number of guns, but rather by the number of criminals.
A gun does not a criminal make.

To my detractors: I have never claimed any correlation between more guns being the cause for less crime.

The objective evidence of your posting habits do not match your subjective explanation.

Actions really do speak louder than words.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

uh....

and

The criminals are spending less time committing crimes and more time going to the range and practicing. We're screwed in 2012! :P
The best things in life are dangerous.

The objective evidence of your posting habits do not match your subjective explanation.

The contunal misinterpretation and redefinition of these posts is a weak attempt by the anti-gun folks to deflect attention away from the fact that it proves their central gun-restriction theory to be incorrect. They can't stand that, so instead they attack me, instead of focusing on the facts. That's okay with me, because intelligent people can see the truth through the bullshit.

A single such post can be ignored by the gun-o-phobes as a fluke. A continuing string of more-gun less-crime trends, year after year, cannot. My action in pointing out that long-term trend should not be taken to mean that I'm implying a causal effect. That's only the focus of my detractors, because, well... go back to paragraph #1, above. They can't refute what the trend means about their gun-control agenda, so they have to turn attention away from that hard reality, if they wish to continue to fool the American people.

The contunal misinterpretation and redefinition of these posts is a weak attempt by the anti-gun folks to deflect attention away from the fact that it proves their central gun-restriction theory to be incorrect. They can't stand that, so instead they attack me, instead of focusing on the facts. That's okay with me, because intelligent people can see the truth through the bullshit.

JR, are you now backpedaling? Are you now admitting your entire purpose in your continued posting is to promote the idea that more guns equals less crime? Because I think that's in conflict with what you just posted not more than a few minutes ago.

Dude . . . just freaking own it. Nobody will call you names if you do, but posting one thing and then denying your intention only to admit it a few minutes later makes you look dishonest.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

JR, are you now backpedaling? Are you now admitting your entire purpose in your continued posting is to promote the idea that more guns equals less crime? Because I think that's in conflict with what you just posted not more than a few minutes ago.

See message #7, paragraph #2. I thought I was pretty clear on that.
I'm not trying to prove anything pro-gun.
I'm disproving something anti-gun.

But the long string of such trends, year after year, with gun ownership increasing and crime decreasing, tends to refute the anti-gun idea that more guns causes more crime. They, the gun-o-phobes, are the ones trying to make a correlation. I'm simply proving them wrong.

well, your headline is "more guns, less crime." Which is no different than Brady saying "more guns, more crime."

What you claim you're doing is "guns != crime." Which is absolutely the case in America. But that's not what your headline reads.

What you claim you're doing is "guns != crime." Which is absolutely the case in America. But that's not what your headline reads.

Maybe I'll change the headline next time, for those who are unable to see the corollary.

Here, I'll do it right now, above, just for you. How's that look?

would you like a lollipop now?
or maybe some cheese?

Well, it didn't take you long to get down to childish insults.
So I guess you've lost this debate.

I'm only debating your tactics. Quade can come along to debate your message.

But hey, if you want to continue to spend your time ineffectively sending out your message, it's your own loss.

To my detractors: I have never claimed any correlation between more guns being the cause for less crime.

In that case, your original post is completely disingenuous.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

maybe we're just killin off the crooks faster than new crooks are being born

once the politicians pass the 2 minute rule crime will go down because then there will be consequences
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I haven't posted in a while, and you and I disagree on some things, but that's cool. I've read a lot of your posts, and you clearly believe more guns = less crime. It's a respectable viewpoint, one I may even be open to argument on, although I am not fully convinced. Here's a book on the topic, I'm sure you've read it, others may not have.

http://www.amazon.com/More-Guns-Less-Crime-Understanding/dp/0226493636

I guess I'm just trying to say, why not just come out and make your argument on this? It's a reasonable one. Why dance around?

I like guns........period........and I can have as many as I can afford.......My guns shoot paper.....and what ever varmit tries to kill my show chickens.

Heh-heh... This post actually demonstrates the cultural divide that hallmarks the gun debate in the US. I'll betcha that most people who are really passionate about gun rights know what "show chickens" are, while most people who are really passionate about gun control have never heard the term. :D

I like guns........period........and I can have as many as I can afford.......My guns shoot paper.....and what ever varmit tries to kill my show chickens.

Heh-heh... This post actually demonstrates the cultural divide that hallmarks the gun debate in the US. I'll betcha that most people who are really passionate about gun rights know what "show chickens" are, while most people who are really passionate about gun control have never heard the term. :D

Why don't you just go ahead and say what you really, REALLY mean, Andy?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706