jimbrown

What if Jesus didn't die on the cross

I'm just describing the grammatical-historical method of interpretation which is how even the Early Church Fathers interpreted Scripture. Somewhat different than the way you'd treat the Odyssey, I think (as you and most others would describe it; including me). There's also a whole lot more support for the biblical account making its comparison with the Odyssey kind of ridiculous.

You still didn't use the word literal correctly no matter how you rationalize it. Redefining words only makes you look ignorant.

No! Ignorance is curable.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Never was mentioned, though I believe Slartibartfast worked on the Fjords.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You again demonstrate conclusively that you know less than nothing.

Your continued personal attacks and lack of substantiality in your replies suggests the contrary.

You mean like when you called me a dick a few post back when you couldn't argue the point? You have less and less ground to stand on so you resort to personal attacks. Classic Coreece.
Again, Pot, Kettle, etc.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Your continued personal attacks and lack of substantiality in your replies suggests the contrary.

You don't debate the points because you lack the capacity to do so.

Irony score = 10

11 on my scale.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

You mean like when you called me a dick a few post back when you couldn't argue the point?

Not only did I call you a dick, but I actually gave some substace as to why it may not be in your best interest to be a dick.

Besides, I'm a dick too...I was speaking from experience. It's not like I just chimed in to call you a poopie face then run away like a coward.

But, I apolopgize...I didn't think you'd take it so personal. I thought I made a good point...sorry we don't have that type of open relationship.

Maybe we can work on our dickishness together...we can be dick buddies.

You have less and less ground to stand on

I built my house on a rock, not sand...I'm not worried about it no matter how big the storm.

Besides, I've always argued that there is no scientific evidence for God, faith, whatever etc...I'm ok with that and actually wouldn't want it any other way.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

You don't debate the points because you lack the capacity to do so.

Irony score = 10

11 on my scale.

Go big or go home!:P
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

You have openly stated your rejection of Christ as a former believer. There is nothing for me to discuss with you. It is now just between you and God.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Until you can fully wrap your brain around John 3:16 nothing else is likely to make sense. The Holy Bible will provide the maximum spiritual enrichment, if that understanding is what is sought. It is not a tech manual.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

A very thoughtful and positive response. Your POV is very much inline with the AA/NA 12 Step Program.

However, in my case I was privately studying my Bible in an attitude of prayer. The Lord gave me the clear understanding of the body as the temple of the Lord. I was forever changed in my thinking processes and instantly delivered from the desire to use.

The 12 Step Program is essentially a method for dealing with the recurring cravings. They can last a lifetime for some folks.

I have never had a craving since my deliverance.

It appears you are successfully dealing with some of your anger. I am working through some issues at this time as well.

Just as a point of information, I was hopelessly addicted to drugs and alcohol and was hospitalized involuntarily several times in both drug/alcohol rehabs and mental institutions.

I hated myself, I hated my life, I'd lost my family and my job and had no hope for the future. This went on for years.

Then, one day, I was delivered from my addiction. Just like that

I just stopped and never looked back. I got up in the morning and knew that I was done with it.

I havent had a drink or drug in 15 years and have not had a single craving since that time. Today I love my life and have healed the rifts with my children
and have a good paying job in a lucrative field. (and I get to skydive too)

I do not go to AA or any other 12 step program (although I have been to a few meetings) I have not gone since then.

God didnt do this for me. I did this for myself.

Your story is not unique, but your conclusions do a huge disservice to yourself.

The fact that you have no rational explanation for your deliverance doesnt mean that it wasnt you that brought about the change.

Deciding it had to be God is no different than ancients making up Thor because they had no rational explanation for the phenomenon of thunder.
__

My mighty steed

A very thoughtful and positive response. Your POV is very much inline with the AA/NA 12 Step Program.

However, in my case I was privately studying my Bible in an attitude of prayer. The Lord gave me the clear understanding of the body as the temple of the Lord. I was forever changed in my thinking processes and instantly delivered from the desire to use.

The 12 Step Program is essentially a method for dealing with the recurring cravings. They can last a lifetime for some folks.

I have never had a craving since my deliverance.

It appears you are successfully dealing with some of your anger. I am working through some issues at this time as well.

Just as a point of information, I was hopelessly addicted to drugs and alcohol and was hospitalized involuntarily several times in both drug/alcohol rehabs and mental institutions.

I hated myself, I hated my life, I'd lost my family and my job and had no hope for the future. This went on for years.

Then, one day, I was delivered from my addiction. Just like that

I just stopped and never looked back. I got up in the morning and knew that I was done with it.

I havent had a drink or drug in 15 years and have not had a single craving since that time. Today I love my life and have healed the rifts with my children
and have a good paying job in a lucrative field. (and I get to skydive too)

I do not go to AA or any other 12 step program (although I have been to a few meetings) I have not gone since then.

God didnt do this for me. I did this for myself.

Your story is not unique, but your conclusions do a huge disservice to yourself.

The fact that you have no rational explanation for your deliverance doesnt mean that it wasnt you that brought about the change.

Deciding it had to be God is no different than ancients making up Thor because they had no rational explanation for the phenomenon of thunder.

Good for you. As we say in the field, keep on, keepin' on.

The main point of my deliverance testimony is that it was preceded by the audible voice of the Lord followed by a complete reorganizing of my mind.

The main point of my deliverance testimony is that it was preceded by the audible voice of the Lord followed by a complete reorganizing of my mind.

Ah. I didn't see that part. This is a VERY long thread and I have not read the entire thing.

I would point out though, that peoples brains are absolutely not functioning properly when they have been constantly bathed in drugs and/or alcohol for an extended period.

Indeed, I didnt feel like my own was working even close to normally until I'd been drug free for a year or more.

Are you not willing to consider the notion that the voice you heard might have been the result of your malfunctioning brain? I certainly have my own share of memories from that time in my life that were confused, and I have memories of events that absolutely never happened. (and no memories of events that did happen)
__

My mighty steed

Ah. I didn't see that part. This is a VERY long thread and I have not read the entire thing.

I would point out though, that peoples brains are absolutely not functioning properly when they have been constantly bathed in drugs and/or alcohol for an extended period.

Indeed, I didnt feel like my own was working even close to normally until I'd been drug free for a year or more.

Are you not willing to consider the notion that the voice you heard might have been the result of your malfunctioning brain? I certainly have my own share of memories from that time in my life that were confused, and I have memories of events that absolutely never happened. (and no memories of events that did happen)

I don't even remember if I gave my testimony in this thread. I have stated it several times in the past 2+ years.

Having worked professionally in the field of co-occurring substance use disorders I am full aware of the difference. I know what my deliverance is, where it comes from, Who to give the credit and, Whose I am.

No one has to become a Christian to become straight, clean and sober. Most of the successful recoveries rely on the concept of a Higher Power. Some folks just flat tough it out.

When it comes to alcohol and drugs stick with what works. What works for me is Jesus Christ. I always gave my testimony when applying for a counseling position and it only worked against me once.

Course, the sword cuts both ways. Maybe you don't credit God because your brain at the time wasn't working right.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

>Until you can fully wrap your brain around John 3:16 nothing else is likely to make
>sense. The Holy Bible will provide the maximum spiritual enrichment, if that
>understanding is what is sought. It is not a tech manual.

Agreed 100%. As a guide to the life and teachings of Jesus it has no equal. As a geology or astronomy textbook it's next to useless.

But, what if He did die on the cross and rose again with a message of hope and deliverance?

What if by mere faith we could share the love of God and be transformed by it?

What if our sins could be washed away and we could become one with God, free of guilt and remorse?

What if we could know a peace that passes understanding?

What if all of the events in our lives had meaning and worked together for our utmost good?

>But, what if He did die on the cross and rose again with a message of hope and deliverance?

Then hopefully people would heed that message and not fret over meaningless details of his state of health, or whether or not Bible is literally true.