wayneflorida

Burn the flag; freedom of speech

I acknowledge his freedom of expression, I also acknowledge the crowd's freedom to interfere in his freedom of expression in a non physical way and believe they should be arrested if they touch the kid. But, I'm also willing to pony up a little bail money if they need it.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Patriots? Now, that is funny. If those kids want to call themselves patriots, how about they enlist and actually serve their country instead of interfering with someones freedom of speech.
Now, I do not agree with burning flags, books, or other items to get reaction, but the 1st amendment allows such expression. It goes against what our country stands for to infringe on the right to do so.
Same with the pastor who burned a Koran, I do not agree and think better judgement should prevail. The kid who wanted to burn a flag should use better judgement. And I would hardly call him a hippie. I guess that just makes the others feel better about themselves.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I liked the idea of lighting the hippy on fire as a form of protest actually.

Just exercising freedom of speech.

uh, no, that is not.

I hope you're speaking out of emotion, and not from such lack of knowledge.

Sarcasm...

It was the idea behind it.

The night Osama was announced dead one kid went to the war memorial, stole the American and LSU flag and then burned the American flag. They arrested the kid after he fled the state to Atlanta and he was also accused of vandalizing a nearby apartment complex. They found his belongings in a stolen car along with a knife with the fibers of the rope cut down to get the flags and the supplies to vandalize the apartments.

This kid wanted to have a peaceful protest about his "fellow students due process and justice" or some shit by burning ANOTHER flag. Blows my mind.

Anyway the student government president decided to hold a patriotic assembly in protest of his protest. it ended up being what the videos showed, people being pissed off at the guy who originally burned our flag and especially the kid who wanted to defend him by burning another one.

Good on them.

I have some friends in the U.S who also find it appealing to burn the U.S flag.

I hate hippies more than the rednecks do, but for different reasons. Hippies are far too passive in their points. If you believe in a cause, while not provoking violence, you need to be willing to fight for it too. Sitting on the grass and smoking some weed will accomplish nothing.

Burning flags is maybe disrespectful, but it is one's right. Why should one be forced to respect - respect is something that should be earned through admiration. And one shouldn't be forced to respect something merely because if you don't it'll be taboo.

The fact that people get so upset over flag burnings is just re-enforcing the point they're usually trying to make by burning it. One can love their country without agreeing with everything it does, and if they want to burn it's flag in protest - so what?

The fact that there were laws set-up on the handling and mishandling of the U.S flag just provides more reason why one would want to burn the flag. There is an attempt to keep people patriotic, so much so that there were laws drafted against activity that was deemed 'unpatriotic'.

A flag is just a flag. To you it may represent freedom and liberty, to another it may represent merely a nations branding and to others it may represent greed, war and dirty politics. There is no right and wrong in what one sees in the flag. And one has the right to see what they want and express that feeling.

I agree with the poster near the top saying that one has a right to burn the flag, but those who disagree also have a right to call them whatever they want, as long as it doesn't get physical. But chances are, if you go into a street and burn the U.S flag, you're likely going to get knocked out by some ignorant redneck, or some die hard patriot who's seen too many action movies who feels as though he should control the actions of others if said actions are unpatriotic.

Pick a flag and burn away, they're just flags.

There is absolutely no way I would burn a US flag, but I wouldn't want to live here if you couldn't.

True, but I'd much rather have lived among people who knew how to make shit happen rather than a bunch of reprobate morons who only knew how to burn it... :S
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I agree with the laws the way they are. You can burn the flag as part of a peaceful protest... but if you’re burning it in a way that would tend to cause a disturbance, protest, riot, or violence, it's NOT ok.

It’s kind of like speech. You can say what you want… with a few qualifiers (slander, threats, disorderly conduct, inciting a riot).

People have died for your right to do what you want... even if that means disrespecting them for dying for your right to disrespect them. I don’t think it’s ok, but it IS your right.

It's my right to tell you what I think of what you're doing though.

There is absolutely no way I would burn a US flag, but I wouldn't want to live here if you couldn't.

nicely put

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The night Osama was announced dead one kid went to the war memorial, stole the American and LSU flag and then burned the American flag. They arrested the kid .

Freedom of speech does NOT include theft and vandalism.

If the kid buys his OWN flag and wants to burn it, that's fine - the country is based on private property rights.

In this case, the kid is just an asshole and a criminal.

This is where many flag burners don't get it - it seems they all want to burn someone else's property and then hide the THEFT behind FOS.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I am really glad to live in a country that has freedom of expression, however this particular one in my opinion shouldn't be expressed by a citizen unless they truly wish to live somewhere else - and I am sure that there are enough patriots who would add to a fund to ship them to another country to live.

I love my country, I served my country, but I am not blind to the messed up shit that has been done and still happens - when I see something that just isn't right that has been done by the USA I have no problem in voicing my opinion on the subject.

there is probably at least one person who will take exception to what I just wrote, and since we have this freedom that is your right - enjoy it-use it- cause I sure will.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

That might have sounded kindda misleading.

This kid Issac was the one who stole, vandalized, and burned LSU's flag. after a warrant for his arrest went out he turned himself in.

His buddy Ben organized this protest to burn another flag for his buddy's due process or some shit (after he turned himself in with extremely strong evidence against him).

It wasn't so much the burning of the flag, but the defending of a kid who stole, vandalized, and then burned a stolen American flag on a night when everyone was feeling extremely patriotic.

It's a lot of "this source told me I should feel this way" sheep herding around town right now. So many stupid and ignorant debates are going on throughout facebook right now on more than a few LSU students pages.

I hope what I think is what most of those kids think but who knows.

Hooray LSU finals week...

I'm amazed at how people will drive by large (20" x 15" ) US flags laying in the streets and gutters after July 4 and Flag Day etc....I have at least 3 that I have stopped to pick up after literally thousands of cars have driven past. Not cheap plastic flags. Nice cloth flags. If I can see them, they can see them. They have fallen off cars and bikes of the Americans who wish to fly them, but when they get away, somehow they aren't worth going back for. I'm not concerned about people burning the flag. A worn out flag is supposed to be burned. But why am I the only one of thousands to stop and pick them up out of the street ?
Life is short ... jump often.

I'm amazed at how people will drive by large (20" x 15" ) US flags laying in the streets and gutters after July 4 and Flag Day etc....I have at least 3 that I have stopped to pick up after literally thousands of cars have driven past. Not cheap plastic flags. Nice cloth flags. If I can see them, they can see them. They have fallen off cars and bikes of the Americans who wish to fly them, but when they get away, somehow they aren't worth going back for. I'm not concerned about people burning the flag. A worn out flag is supposed to be burned. But why am I the only one of thousands to stop and pick them up out of the street ?

Because it's just a piece of cloth. You are unable to separate the symbol from the meaning - it's idolatry.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Other people have freedom of speech too.
Go to hell Hippie. Hee hee
Go Tigers

http://punditpress.blogspot.com/2011/05/video-student-attempting-to-burn-flag.html

LSU Student Attempting to Burn Flag Chased Away by Patriots Chanting "Go to Hell, Hippie"

By definition, the people chasing them weren't patriots. It's amusing to me that you don't recognize that.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Other people have freedom of speech too.
Go to hell Hippie. Hee hee
Go Tigers

http://punditpress.blogspot.com/2011/05/video-student-attempting-to-burn-flag.html

LSU Student Attempting to Burn Flag Chased Away by Patriots Chanting "Go to Hell, Hippie"

By definition, the people chasing them weren't patriots. It's amusing to me that you don't recognize that.

The statement about patriots is from the linked article/video. So please recognize that.

The words defining the definition of the word patriot
can be debated between you and I forever so l will not go there.

I will say that the Hippie was well within his legal rights. I've always been against such laws banning flag burning because I see it as freedom of speech.
I would not burn the flag.