Andy9o8

Arabs & Muslims Rejoice at bin Laden's Death

The context of this is all the Muslim-bashers who keep asking "Why doesn't the Muslim man-in-the-street condemn terrorism by Muslims?" (Whereupon someone eventually posts links to about 12 examples of such condemnation, etc.. ...)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-05-02-bin-laden-americans_n.htm
Arab Americans, Muslims rejoice at death of bin Laden

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2011/05/02/Arab-Americans-in-Dearborn-celebrate-death-of-bin-Laden.html
Arab-Americans in Dearborn celebrate death of Osama bin Laden

http://www.aafusa.org/for_north_jersey_muslims.html
When Khader Abuhamda heard late Sunday night that Osama bin Laden had been killed, he and his family danced.

It's just a trick to lull us into a false sense of security.

I think some of you can be lulled very very easily, look how well it worked to get W reelected. You guys believed any and everything your hero put out about how they were protecting us from all who you applied the label "evildoer" to.

The context of this is all the Muslim-bashers who keep asking "Why doesn't the Muslim man-in-the-street condemn terrorism by Muslims?" (Whereupon someone eventually posts links to about 12 examples of such condemnation, etc.. ...)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-05-02-bin-laden-americans_n.htm
Arab Americans, Muslims rejoice at death of bin Laden

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2011/05/02/Arab-Americans-in-Dearborn-celebrate-death-of-bin-Laden.html
Arab-Americans in Dearborn celebrate death of Osama bin Laden

http://www.aafusa.org/for_north_jersey_muslims.html
When Khader Abuhamda heard late Sunday night that Osama bin Laden had been killed, he and his family danced.

That's great. What about the Arabs and Muslims in the regions that are causing all the problems? How are they reacting in, oh, say, Pakistan?

http://www.euronews.net/2011/05/03/red-faces-in-pakistan-and-fears-of-reprisals/

Oh, well, I guess there is still some room for improvement.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's great that the Muslim community here in the U.S. has out backs. Most Muslims in the U.S. would report it if they saw something wrong. I got no beef there. I'm not disagreeing with anyone on that point.

All the problems are coming out of the middle east though. Until we see people standing up in Palestine, Iran, Syria, Yemen and so forth, we are just pissing in the wind.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Would that be like looking to see if the US celebrated Bush getting out of office? After all, Bush started what is seen in most countries as an unjustified war in Iraq.

Our priorities aren't theirs, and vice-versa.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Would that be like looking to see if the US celebrated Bush getting out of office? After all, Bush started what is seen in most countries as an unjustified war in Iraq.

Our priorities aren't theirs, and vice-versa.

Wendy P.

Your right, their priorities are not ours. Theirs is killing Americans and ours is keeping them safe.

That is kind of the point.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

No, their is keeping their own families and countrymen safe, and ours seems to be killing them. And we're over there, by and large they're not over here.

Funny how it looks when you turn it around.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No, their is keeping their own families and countrymen safe, and ours seems to be killing them. And we're over there, by and large they're not over here.

Funny how it looks when you turn it around.

Wendy P.

Strange, but he way I see it, if they hadn't come over here and crashed planes into our buildings, we wouldn't be over there.

As far as other values go, Bin Laden has been responsible for more Muslim deaths than us. I don't know how that would be keeping their own safe. Unless killing your own for converting to another religion has some how become the new definition of "safe".

Still not seeing a turn around.

They flew planes into our buildings because we were over there (troops in Saudi Arabia). There's your turn around.

Our troops were on a base, by permission of the government, not allowed to leave and didn't hurt no one in Saudi Arabia. Try again.

They flew planes into our buildings because we were over there (troops in Saudi Arabia). There's your turn around.

Our troops were on a base, by permission of the government, not allowed to leave and didn't hurt no one in Saudi Arabia. Try again.

No, that was in fact OBL's foremost complaint with the USA. OBL did not approve of the Saudi Govt, especiallly when they snubbed him and his mujahadeen in the fight against Saddam Hussein in '91. The Saudi government went with the US-led coalition instead, and then agreed to keep the large US presence in the country. This infuriated OBL and other Religious extremists. Also, according to Muslim laws, the Saudi government is not according to Islam because it is a hereditary monarchy.

Read up on it. The US troop presence in "the Land of the Two Mosques" was the foremost complaint.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

>Strange, but he way I see it, if they hadn't come over here and crashed
>planes into our buildings, we wouldn't be over there.

They didn't. All the people who did that are dead; they're not back "over there."

The people who ARE there have been bombed, shot, and shot at by US military people. They're still there, and they are teaching their kids that the US will sooner kill you than look at you, and can prove it. Fortunately, we are (slowly) changing that.

>Still not seeing a turn around.

Islamic terrorists killed 3000 Americans, our military killed 30,000 Muslims. Most people are saddened and/or angered by the death of a family member, and do not first check to see if someone in the US approves of their feelings.

No, that was in fact OBL's foremost complaint with the USA. OBL did not approve of the Saudi Govt, especiallly when they snubbed him and his mujahadeen in the fight against Saddam Hussein in '91. The Saudi government went with the US-led coalition instead, and then agreed to keep the large US presence in the country. This infuriated OBL and other Religious extremists. Also, according to Muslim laws, the Saudi government is not according to Islam because it is a hereditary monarchy.

Read up on it. The US troop presence in "the Land of the Two Mosques" was the foremost complaint.

Which once again proves MY point. When In Saudi, we didn't do anything to the any of the Saudi's. Just our presence was enough to send them into a violent rage. Are you arguing that their reaction was justified?

If our government allowed a military base from a foreign country to be built in the U.S., would a similar reaction by Americans be justified?

They didn't. All the people who did that are dead; they're not back "over there."

The people who ARE there have been bombed, shot, and shot at by US military people. They're still there, and they are teaching their kids that the US will sooner kill you than look at you, and can prove it. Fortunately, we are (slowly) changing that.

Islamic terrorists killed 3000 Americans, our military killed 30,000 Muslims. Most people are saddened and/or angered by the death of a family member, and do not first check to see if someone in the US approves of their feelings.

Of those 30,000 killed, how many were good and how many were just caught in the cross fire? Now how many Muslims has Bin Laden, Al Qada and the Taliban killed?

Al Qada and the Taliban have killed more of thier own than anyone else. When we kill the Al Qada or Taliban members, Afghani's and Pakistani's sit quietly on their hands. WHEN we pull out, the death toll in those area's will rise again and they will be happy for some strange reason.

When I say that their attitude in those areas need to change, this is what I am talking about. Yes, those muslims that have moved to America get it. Those that are still over there, don't.

If our government allowed a military base from a foreign country to be built in the U.S., would a similar reaction by Americans be justified?

Well, and although this is a 'slight' tangent... just look at the American reaction to Americans of Japanese descent during WW2 . so please don't say that it can't happen there.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Oh yes...I'd almost forgotten that its our fault.:S
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Well, and although this is a 'slight' tangent... just look at the American reaction to Americans of Japanese descent during WW2 . so please don't say that it can't happen there.

Still... Another good example of how fucked up Arab Countries are.

The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, just like Muslims attacked the world trade center in a sneak attack, what happened after that?

With Japan, WWII happened, America won, we kissed and made up, became allies, Japan was rebuilt and became a economic power....

With Afghanistan and Iraq, America won the ground war, tried to rebuild the countries, the countries resisted being rebuilt, Arabs kill more of their own than U.S. forces do while trying to rebuild their infrastructure, blame the U.S. for themselves beheading there own, and stay in the dark ages.....

Another good example of the culture being fucked up in there countries. Yes, there was an anti-Japanese thing going on in the U.S. after Pear Harbor, just like there was an anti-Muslim thing after 9/11, but America moved on pretty quickly. People living in the U.S. are not as Bigoted as those in the Muslim countries.

Like I said, their attitudes and cultures over there need to change. That is where the problem is.

Oh yes...I'd almost forgotten that its our fault.:S

It's really important to establish blame when trying to understand the bigger picture :S

The US military logged over 60,000 civilian deaths in the Iraq war. I'm not sure how much blame can be placed on an 18-year old kid whose entire family has been blown up by the US wanting to get revenge on the US. When you kill 60,000 civilians, trying to pass the blame on to someone else as justification doesn't actually mean you were right in doing so.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

No, that was in fact OBL's foremost complaint with the USA. OBL did not approve of the Saudi Govt, especiallly when they snubbed him and his mujahadeen in the fight against Saddam Hussein in '91.

I would think that it goes back further than '91. I would go back to the Afghan-Russian war when the U.S. pulled support after the fall of the Iron Curtain. As Al Qaeda was created by the CIA (Al Qaeda means "The Base" or foundation) and the Mujahedin were allies in the war against communism (Reagan called them "Freedom Fighters), don't you (not specifically you Speedracer, but everyone) think that they may had felt abandoned by the U.S.? I think I would feel the same way if those who were on my side suddenly became friends with the enemy left me out in the cold. Yet, in my mind and the minds of many others that does not justify flying planes into buildings. However, actions create reactions. How can we expect anything less?
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

You really need a well-defined enemy, don't you.

There isn't a well-defined enemy. It's not Muslims -- there are millions of good ones, and you cannot assume they're all guilty until proven innocent. It's not middle-easterners -- if it were, why are we trying to "make them free?"

If it's al-Qaeda, well, we just took out their leader. That's a good thing.

And as far as those people who might have been good, and might have been caught in the cross-fire -- well, can't they be good and have been caught in the cross-fire?

And do you think that, in the middle east, you'd be considered a "good" American?

Wendy P.