likearock

Release the Osama "death photo"?

I don't know about you but I've seen enough violent death to last me a lifetime.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Then there's nothing to lose by publishing it.
And we shouldn't be making the decision based upon what conspiracy theorists believe.

You don't see any consequences by giving his followers emotionally ammunition? The worst the condition (and a head shot would be bad), the more potent this would be.

And what's the gain exactly? Conspiracy theorists won't believe anything you provide them. (Easier to shoot them too).

So I see a small loss, and no upside.

I agree. Releasing photos only satisfies morbid curiosity. That's not enough of a positive to justify the negative. John Rich's examples of dead American's being displayed is a good example. We think it's inappropriate when someone else does it. Why should we do it? Do the right thing and lead by example.

It would also satisfy the risk conspiracy theorists and those abroad that would not trust that the US actually put him down.
Let them see his dead body. It would be a punch in the gut.
Or a kick in the nuts if you prefer.

And what's the gain exactly?

1. It will help squash the people who doubt it happened.
2. It will shake the confidence of some of his followers

Yes, it will also:
1. Never serve as proof to everyone.
2. Incite a few people to more violence.

But, lets face it... The die-hards on both sides will not change their actions... But maybe a few in the middle will. Maybe a few of the people who are leaning towards fighting will see the photos and think that now that the "leader" is dead that the cause is lost. This would not be the first time killing a leader has taken the steam out of an organization.

And those that the picture could incite to violence... I fee that they are just looking for a reason, and will find one eventually.

So I can see a possible net gain.

It would also satisfy the risk conspiracy theorists and those abroad that would not trust that the US actually put him down.
Let them see his dead body. It would be a punch in the gut.
Or a kick in the nuts if you prefer.

Regarding the above, who is it that's getting the satisfaction?

But IMO, conspiracy theorists will never be satisfied. Graphic photos offer "proof" but they also inflame (see Abu Ghraib). It's a lousy situation but I still think that not releasing them is probably the best choice.

It just seems to me it would prove before the world and all the idiot followers zealots that he IS dead.
Now they can claim America is lying (again) and still recruit believers followers.
I can't keep this shit straight.

Independently verifiable proof of DNA match is the best option and gets around the problems of vulgar lurid photos.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Disagree. It's fairly easy to collect DNA.
Much harder to produce an entire corpse.

More so if "KIA" where no proof exists then subsequently buried at sea with again no proof.
Possibly being interrogated as we speak.
Euthanized when complete.
Followed by the "thermite" treatment.
:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Well, it appears they have released photos of the other men killed in the raid:http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2011/may/04/osama-bin-laden-compound#/?picture=374256202&index=0

Correction: These were taken by a Pakistani who sold them.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Disagree. It's fairly easy to collect DNA.
Much harder to produce an entire corpse.

More so if "KIA" where no proof exists then subsequently buried at sea with again no proof.
Possibly being interrogated as we speak.
Euthanized when complete.
Followed by the "thermite" treatment.
:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

The hagfish treatment is better down in that dark cold world where he is at now.

Anyone know how long it takes to match a body to existing DNA samples? Hours? Days?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

>It would also satisfy the risk conspiracy theorists . . . .

Of course it wouldn't. They'd claim it was photoshopped or that it was someone else (people aren't all that recognizable after being shot in the head.) It would just embolden them.

if he was not dead do you really think any goverment in the world would announce he was.

they would just release an alive shot with him holding todays paper... recruiting against a country who can't tell the truth!!

yeah logical thinking!!

The guys dead, he fought against Americans as the irish fought against the british, he disagreed with your occupation rightly or wrongly and has died for it, not the first terrorist / freedom fighter to do so.

he'll be forgotton, as will the wars, 9/11 11/11, iraq wars all this bullshit...

What fucks me off the most is WE all seem to forget our own soiled historys. For instance When the decesion was made to nuke Hiroshima and Nagasaki the allies killed 250 000 civillians, not a pinch on the 9/11 bombings or any other "terroist act" so maybe we should stop for one second and judge our own actions before we judge those of others.

Americans duing your war of independence were considered terrorists, by the british, its funny how history changes our oppions to some but maybe not to others.

I'm not asking you to agree with anything i have to add...
I'm just hoping you may think a little before you judge another humans action.
Put yourself in the shoes of others.
And realize that the human race is inherently Flawed

Agree. Besides, the daughter is already confirming he was killed (although, big surprise, she's claiming he was taken prisoner and summarily executed).

Any of the tin foil hat crowd that still believe he's alive would not be persuaded by a photo either.

While driving in to work today I was trying to think of any downside for not releasing the photos. I came up with:

"So what if his followers think he's still alive? Let them sit and wait for his next orders. "

Then I started thinking that if I were OBL that I would have already made some videos which were to be released after my death. I wouldn't be surprised to see one show up within a few months.

Then again, since we didn't obliterate his compound with a missile and were able to recover hard drives and other records (another thumbs up for making the right call) then we may have those videos (if they exist) in our possession.

So I'm thinking that Obama made the best call in a no win situation. Although he may have to eventually release them if an OBL video gets released.

I know.....I have a long drive to work.

So I'm thinking that Obama made the best call in a no win situation. Although he may have to eventually release them if an OBL video gets released.

Exactly. Just because he's not releasing them now, don't mean he can't release them later. I agree with the decision to hold the photos.

- Dan G

if I were OBL that I would have already made some videos which were to be released after my death. I wouldn't be surprised to see one show up within a few months.

Yeah, well unless it shows him (verified not photo-shopped/video-shopped) holding up a current newspaper, or making a very detailed reference to some specific event that will have just occurred - thus to prove the time-frame - I wouldn't give it a second thought.