Galenis

Bin Laden is Dead

Can anyone guess who said this?

The problem is that "enemy combatant" is a term created to deny a person of his rights; it has no basis in constitutional law. I mean, suppose a state created a term "unauthorized weapons carrier" and then claimed that unauthorized carriers had no right to bear arms (at least without special state authorization?) Would you support such a definition, based on the reasoning that "rules are different for unauthorized carriers?"

It has often been said that the only rights you really have are the rights that are applied to everyone, no matter how undesireable they seem. This is a good case of this. If a special class can be created for Padilla, a special class can be created for anyone.

Some have argued that US citizens alone are covered under the US constitution. This has been proven false several times by various courts, but even that doesn't apply here - Padilla _was_ a US citizen. It makes it a more clear case.

I know who said it and the circumstances under which it was said. What's your point?

Are you suggesting bin Laden was;

1) Accused of one thing and taken "Dead or Alive" (GWB's words btw) for another?

2) An American citizen denied his US Constitutional rights?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hey, that reminds me, do you still have your "Stupid" reflecting mirror on your wall? The one that you used to boast of in your sig.

Yes John

I still do

I use it to remind me I am human

That at time one should show humility

And that I should treat those who show respect, with respect

So, I guess in retrospect, I keep it around so I will never start acting and treating people like you do
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Suppose it resulted in gaining information that stopped a terrorist attack that saved 10,000 lives? Would it be worth it then? I guess we will never know.

I recognize that you are questioning perceived hypocrisy you believe you have witnessed in the past but you are picking the wrong case to strengthen your cause. I don’t believe your posts really have anything to do with this particular incident. I realize you are just playing both sides of the fence to try and prove a point since you already said “I'm glad it was successful too.”

But if we are going to throw out weak hypothetical ideas, how about these.

What if when trying to take him alive he killed the SEALS then escaped? What if he then went on to take 10,000 more lives?

What if the SEALS waited and moved less decisively and it gave him the opportunity to destroy all the information they retrieved in the raid. Think that wasn’t a possibility? How many lives will that information save?

So, what advantage does the US get by making this all so public?

If you had gained an information advantage why would you make that fact public?

Turn it around

what advantage would you gain by keeping all of what happened secrete?

I dont expect an answer cause if you think about it, there really is only one answer.

And I am sure you will not like that answer

Well, the advantage is clearly so Obama can do a victory lap. In the old days it would have been leaked ot a trusted journalist and then would have been "neither denied nor confirmed".

The advantage of keeping it silent would be that the UN would not call for an investigation by the International Criminal Court. It would not show insight into how US special forces run operations or what equipment they may use.

It could lead to further intel based on the reactions of parties involved.

Obviously, it could be that the plan was to keep this quiet, at least until the helicopter mishap. Which may account for some of the hasty and faulty information.

I think you give an old man with a bad liver too much credit. I seriously doubt he would be able to fight his way through 2 helicopters loaded with Seals and then escape and carry out a large scale terrorist attack. He's not Rambo.

I think it's too bad we aren't going to be able to get itel from him. I appreciate that you understand I wasn't bashing Obama or the Seals.

I think you give an old man with a bad liver too much credit. I seriously doubt he would be able to fight his way through 2 helicopters loaded with Seals and then escape and carry out a large scale terrorist attack. He's not Rambo.

I think it's too bad we aren't going to be able to get itel from him. I appreciate that you understand I wasn't bashing Obama or the Seals.

Of course if the place was wired all he would have to do is push a button. So easy even a caveman old man with a bad liver could do it. Then we would have lost the hard copy intel and the stuff in his head.

Like I said, the only changes to the story were armed vs. unarmed, and using the woman as a shield. Shot while resisting hasn't changed.

If you really think they were giving you an engineered story, don't you think they would have worked out all the details ahead of time? The fact that there was initial confusion and people got their facts wrong indicates that the story was not pre-scripted.

The best write up for the changing stories yet

And this article include errors made by the media when they made conclusions about what was being said

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/06/bin-laden-killing-white-house-pentagon-cia-botched-storyline/
Abraham Lincoln

Of course if the place was wired all he would have to do is push a button. So easy even a caveman old man with a bad liver could do it. Then we would have lost the hard copy intel and the stuff in his head.

In the end we have lost the value of the intel anyway

Cause we blabed all over the place (and still are) that we have it

What a sad waste
Abraham Lincoln

In the end we have lost the value of the intel anyway

Cause we blabed all over the place (and still are) that we have it

What a sad waste

Or do we? Maybe we are just trying to make his followers believe any plans they had may have been compromised.

We have to stop hanging on everything that is released at face value.

I’d like to think there is just as great a chance they know what they are doing as they don’t know what they are doing.

>What a sad waste

It's Friday, and Obama is still dead. Drown your sorrow over that in a beer and call it a day!

When did he die?
Abraham Lincoln

After he moved to Indonesia from Kenya.

You really should try and keep up with the news....

Who?
Abraham Lincoln

It's Friday, and Obama is still dead

When did he die?

Some people lack a B-S detector :):P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It's Friday, and Obama is still dead

When did he die?

Some people lack a B-S detector :):P

Wendy P.
:P
Abraham Lincoln

I'm pretty sure the Seals had intel before going in.

I'm pretty sure the Seals had intel before going in.

Actually no, you are not sure.

Continuing to repeat the same claims about a "shoot to kill" order does not constitute additional evidence.

No one has ever claimed terrorists have the same rights as Americans when they are in the middle of a battle. Once they're in custody, yes, but not while bullets are flying. Try reading up on the Law of Land Warfare.

This story has really grown legs. What do you think happened during that 25 min. blackout? So now we have him as unarmed, a 25 minute blackout and the he's shot "resisting". Be honest, does this disturb you even just a little? Oh, and now we know they used stealth helicopters to try and get in without waking anybody up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/8493391/Osama-bin-Laden-dead-Blackout-during-raid-on-bin-Laden-compound.html

What happened during those 25 minutes? How did an unarmed man lying in bed with his wife in the middle of the night, resist arrest to the point that the only option was to shoot him dead?

Well maybe he's not dead but getting the crap tortured out of him somewhere, but even if he is hes not long for this world. If they did just go in and kill him I'll not be shedding a tear, after all Bin Laden declared war on the USA so tough titty, big boys rules.

If anybody cares, I met a Kuwaiti friend for coffee last night downtown (I work nights). He was reluctant to discuss it and quickly changed the subject, but not before saying that OBL "...got what was coming to him."

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."