JohnnyMarko

Have your views on religion/politics/etc. been changed by a DZ post?

Nothing radical, but talking to Jerry about why Clinton's escapade with Monica was noteworthy did give me a lot to think about.

The person who isn't willing to examine their views periodically is generally closed-minded.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I selected yes.

In the years I've been on here I have at least learned that there are other ways of thinking. "Values-neutral" still sucks, but if one does not at least engage in debate, one cannot learn, let alone change one's mind.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Different people learn differently; it really helps me to talk things out.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I grew up in the Northeast US, where there is very little gun culture or gun ownership, and gun control laws are pretty popular. I used to think that the 2nd Amendment as applied to modern times was a collective right, i.e., National Guard, etc. I now think that it's an individual right, as in DC v. Heller. I think some of the discussions in here may have balanced my views on the issue.

The discussions in here have also taught me to distinguish between thoughtful pro-2nd Amendment advocates of individual rights to bear arms, and those who think that anyone who agrees with anything other than zero regulation of any kind is an Evil Commie Weakling Enemy, rather than just lumping them all into a single category.

I once thought I was in the majority with my "live and let live" philosophy.

Given that the skydive community is only a microcosm of society, I see that I'm in the very small minority.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

On a similar note for me, however, I grew up with said thoughtful, 2nd Amendment advocates.

The discussions taught me to distinguish between thoughtful “more gun control” advocates and those who think anyone supporting the 2nd amendement is an evil righty. Among my friends, gun ownership is 50/50. I enjoy the discussions here when it is debate, not personal.

I should note, however, until recently I had never owned a gun personally. I was always ambivalent on the idea.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

Andy, I think you might be mistaken... in a very good way. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I do suspect that the the "live and let live" mindset really is the majority... it's just that they aren't as likely to argue here.
Owned by Remi #?

...but I do suspect that the the "live and let live" mindset really is the majority... it's just that they aren't as likely to argue here.

Me. I can't remember the last time I felt like posting something worthwhile in the SC

Attaboy for keeping up your perfect record! ;)

Has anyone here said something that made me think "gee, I'm changing my outlook on X!" Nope. But I have read a lot of opinions on here that have better informed me about a wide variety of topics. Masterrig, Andy, Wendy, Jerry, Max and many others have given me a lot to think about on occasion.

I've had complete reversals on certain topics and laxed a lot on opinions in others, such as MJ.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Has anyone here said something that made me think "gee, I'm changing my outlook on X!" Nope. But I have read a lot of opinions on here that have better informed me about a wide variety of topics. Masterrig, Andy, Wendy, Jerry, Max and many others have given me a lot to think about on occasion.

You took the words out of my mouth.

Absolutely. There are some people on here who really require me to think. Kallend is very good at tersely creating doubt. Wendy wonderfully explores the human side of things (which I do often overlook). Andy often shows me a different way of looking at things and he knows his shit.

However, Billvon has outright changed my mind on several things. He reversed my thoughts on drilling in ANWR is a glaring example. On top of that, billvon's level of knowledge and intellectual firepower was the driving reason for me to spend the last three years reading everything I could about anthropogenic global warming and caused my viewpoint to do about a 90 degree shift (not a 180, but it's pretty far). I just have immense respect for him.

There are others but they are the most glaring examples. There are others but they stick out for the consistency with which they cause me pause.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

a. that would be perilously close to a PA
b. when he puts thought into his posts (something he does far more consistently in PMs), there's a lot of understanding of the mindset. That's not a bad thing. What I mean by that is an understanding of how a set of thoughts I find to be hard to attach to each other can hang together.

Wendy P.

Some of the posters have given me pause to think. Some have just spouted crap.

There seems to be more BS than signal, but sometimes the signal is pretty good.

Wendy posts some very good stuff.

Andy flips between taking a piss and giving REALLY good info.

BillV can give good info.

I have changed my position a bit on a few things when logical debate has argued me into a corner... I think Wendy might have been one of the ones that got me....

But even the good debates have made me think about my position more.

So yes, I think that if the debates are fact and not emotion based they can do some good.

Absolutely - I'm a LOT more cynical about politics and religion and consider most people to now be a ton less tolerant and a ton more ignorant of other viewpoints than I'd originally assumed.

Or if not ignorant, then knowledgeable but just don't care about others' views.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I once thought I was in the majority with my "live and let live" philosophy.

Given that the skydive community is only a microcosm of society, I see that I'm in the very small minority.

much better stated than my attempt

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I now tend to lean to the right...politically, of course.

I suspect when they f'up again, just as the left is doing now, I'll lean left. I'm a man of balance...I'm a moderate....when the country is divided, we make the decisions.

"It's their time, their time up there...down here, it's our time, our time down here." - Goonies - The ninth day of the sixth month in year of our Lord nineteen hundred eigthy five...:P

*edit*
unfortunately, I was too young to vote properly when lady liberty became a promiscuous whore and Uncle Sam came out of the closet...:D

O'well, I have faith it'll turn out for the best.;)

Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...