jgoose71

Former XO of the USS Enterprise sacked

As far as I can tell, he was either fired for not being politically correct, or he is the first victim of the DADT policy being repealed. Everyone that I know that served under him said he was one of the few good Officers that actually cared about those he commanded.

The Story with a few videos: WARNING!! Videos are unedited!!!
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2011/01/navy-enterprise-videos-skipper-fired-010411w/

God forbid anyone in the military having a sense of humor. We are all supposed to be mindless killing machines, like the Terminator!!!!
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

As far as I can tell, he was either fired for not being politically correct, or he is the first victim of the DADT policy being repealed

The first time I saw these videos on the news, I had to check to make sure I wasn't watching the Onion News Network.

I'm torn... some of the stuff is hilarious and I understand how it could really lighten the atmosphere in some cases...particularly for some of the more experienced members of the crew.

Some of it makes me cringe at the unprofessional demeanor of a man who is literally charged with the leadership and professional development of (some very) young sailors under his command.

I don't see how you could make any connection between this and the repeal of DADT, though. Can you explain how he could be a "victim" of that?
Owned by Remi #?

Just watched the linked video. If they fired him for that, they shot themselves in the face. Looks like he was doing his job. He probably pushed it a little in today's PC world, but he was exerting extra effort. That's becoming too rare.

The unintended consequence of this will be stale, automatons that follow PC rules at the expense of personal leadership and style. I've watched too many complete horse's rearends get ahead. I guess there will be more now.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I don't see how you could make any connection between this and the repeal of DADT, though. Can you explain how he could be a "victim" of that?

The Video's were shot back in 2006 if I'm quoting correctly. Why didn't he get charged back then? Why are they bringing it up now conveniently after DADT was repealed? The timing of it all is suspect. Somebody might be wanting to make a statement. Just wish they could have picked a shit-bag officer to do it to.

And for the record, water conservation IS a big deal on board ship.:ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

The Video's were shot back in 2006 if I'm quoting correctly. Why didn't he get charged back then? Why are they bringing it up now conveniently after DADT was repealed? The timing of it all is suspect. Somebody might be wanting to make a statement. Just wish they could have picked a shit-bag officer to do it to.

And for the record, water conservation IS a big deal on board ship.:ph34r:

I also think the timing is suspect, but I think it's coincidence that it comes with the DADT decision. I think somebody with a personal grudge kept this arrow in their quiver until the timing was "right".

Reasonable question re: why he wasn't disciplined earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if he was privately admonished, with the caution, "you better hope this doesn't turn up some day." I find it hard to believe that none of his superior officers knew about this (uh, like the captain of the boat at the time?) when he was promoted to command of the ship, or that none of the decision-makers re: that promotion did. If his head rolls, then those superior officers who knew about this and did nothing about it (at the time) should roll, too.

So why was he cashiered? Because at the end of the day, you can't get away with being responsible for your branch of service being very publicly embarrassed like that. (That's not an endorsement, just an analysis.)

as far a superior officers, there may well have been only one that knew about this and that was the captain of the ship, and he certainly would know about this and just may not have cared. i haven't looked into it, but i'm guessing that he's retired since we haven't heard anything about him. this type of video and this type of humor is simply just not a big deal aboard a ship at sea and it's very likely that it was the furthest thing from the captain's mind whenever he was communicating with his boss.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I suspect they are going to allow him to resign in lieu of prosecution. It's an option allowed under UCMJ. It lets him keep his retirement and go about his business while the service can say he was disciplined. Relief from command is a career terminating event in the first place. He's done and everyone knows it.

I think everyone lost something on the altar of PC this time.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.